Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by timh »

kansasnoob wrote:
sarahmarienc wrote:
dmenera wrote:
I just wanted to confirm the flash player bug.
I'm also having flash-player issues. One game I was playing that I have played fine on Mint5, won't play on Mint 6 RC1. It says I need Flash Player. But I checked and I have flash player, it came with this release.

I get the white screen too in the middle of things like timh reported.
Go to Package Manager. In the regular search (binoculars) type flash. Select adobe-flashplugin. When you click on apply it should tell you it's going to remove flashplugin-nonfree. that's cool.

Then be sure to restart Firefox by going to File > Quit. Hopefully when you start using Firefox again that'll be better.

I also strongly recommend installing flashblock. Again you'll have to restart Firefox.
Yes it works thanks :D
no more flashcrash :lol:
Tim
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

Unsure if these are bug related but they seem to be as they only happen in Mint 6 RC1 but when I try to eject a disc from my cd-rom drive it will open and close before I can get the cd out. When I hit the eject button again it makes a noise and then ejects the disc. This happens every time and each time takes two tries.

Also, when I try to save files. I click save and nothing happens. Have to click twice to save things. This also happens every time as well.

Again, these only happen with Mint 6 RC1, did not occur with MInt 5

I have an HP Media Center M8100N
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

sarahmarienc, those are both bugs inherited from the Ubuntu base.
when I try to eject a disc from my cd-rom drive it will open and close before I can get the cd out. When I hit the eject button again it makes a noise and then ejects the disc. This happens every time and each time takes two tries.
There is a udev update that will take care of this bug. I am subscribed to the eject bug and have tested the fix myself. Just update udev and the problem is gone, no reboot needed or anything.

I did not encounter the second problem. I need more details on this one. What app are you trying to save files with? A Google search brings up too many different issues to isolate a solution. More detail might yield better results.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

exploder wrote:sarahmarienc, those are both bugs inherited from the Ubuntu base.
when I try to eject a disc from my cd-rom drive it will open and close before I can get the cd out. When I hit the eject button again it makes a noise and then ejects the disc. This happens every time and each time takes two tries.
There is a udev update that will take care of this bug. I am subscribed to the eject bug and have tested the fix myself. Just update udev and the problem is gone, no reboot needed or anything.

I did not encounter the second problem. I need more details on this one. What app are you trying to save files with? A Google search brings up too many different issues to isolate a solution. More detail might yield better results.
Whenever I save anything to my /data folder (Gimp is usually where I'm saving from lately, haven't tried it on other programs?) I have to click once, nothing happens, and then click a second time for it to save. It's only happened in Mint 6.

It makes sense that I didnt know there was an update because I've held back the updates broad-casted as ubuntu because of having something in there creating graphics problems with my nvidia card. I found the udev update and am doing it now alone. Thank you for your help with that one.

EDITED TO ADD: It worked!!! Thank you very much :)
tawan

acpid exiting [solved]

Post by tawan »

Lovely bit of work Clem and Co :)

but

HP Pavilion dv 1000 slow to Shut down

It appears to shut down normally (progress bar reducing down, flashes to various shades of black) but gets stuck with a flashing cursor. After some time it mentions "acpid exiting" then it powers down.

EDIT [solved]

Solution from here:

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/init.d/alsa-utils
The file opens in Gedit and around the line 353 you'll find the instruction "stop)". Below this instruction you should add these two instructions:

ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig eth0 down

So, the file should be this way:

stop)
ifconfig wlan0 down
ifconfig eth0 down
EXITSTATUS=0
Last edited by tawan on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

All of a sudden Im missing firefox panel that generally has minimize, maximize, close options on it. And my desktop panel is hidden when firefox is open. Very frustrating. I've not changed any settings for anything so not sure what is causing this?
Handyman

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread - Partially SOLVED

Post by Handyman »

alanstanley wrote: 1. Skype - am unable to get the audio input working, in-spite of trying all possible combinations of configurations within Skype and the audio devices available. I managed to get it working in Ubuntu 8.10 but the identical configuration doesn't work in Felicia.
I'm also having trouble with Skype. When Skype is running it completely disables my sound in other apps. Sounds works fine when Skype is shut down. I tried reinstalling Skype after deleting the app and hidden .Skype folder. Same problem after reinstalling.
tawan

Post by tawan »

sarahmarienc wrote:All of a sudden Im missing firefox panel that generally has minimize, maximize, close options on it. And my desktop panel is hidden when firefox is open. Very frustrating. I've not changed any settings for anything so not sure what is causing this?
If window decorations (borders, title bar and such) have disappeared from all windows (not just forefox) then Metacity or Emerald (metacity if you havn't changed from default) has a problem.

It happened to me after playing with compiz, to fix it i went > Compiz Settings Manager > Preferences > reset to defaults.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

phonicboom wrote:
sarahmarienc wrote:All of a sudden Im missing firefox panel that generally has minimize, maximize, close options on it. And my desktop panel is hidden when firefox is open. Very frustrating. I've not changed any settings for anything so not sure what is causing this?
If window decorations (borders, title bar and such) have disappeared from all windows (not just forefox) then Metacity or Emerald (metacity if you havn't changed from default) has a problem.

It happened to me after playing with compiz, to fix it i went > Compiz Settings Manager > Preferences > reset to defaults.
Well that worked, but I hadn't been playing with my settings. However maybe my husband was... Im gonna have to put a lock on my computer before he breaks something that cant be fixed LOL!
soup

Post by soup »

Felica 2.6.27-9.19
Tohiba Equium A100-027
Installed F-Spot with Mintinstall, no editing tools available in program
soup
Projector

Projctor not working right

Post by Projector »

I use a projector every week with my MINT laptop. Every time I plug up to project I have to go to screen resolution turn it up then back and then tell it to mirror or it will not work right. I have used it on 3 different projectors all the same response. The Resolution is always messed up and only projects the left top corner of my screen. I have got my workaround figured out but I thought you might want to know.

I know this is just a RC but I could not wait!!!

Great job Clem and the Mint team
aelfinn

gnome-power-manager misbehaves on Samsung X20

Post by aelfinn »

Hey guys, I added the brightness control button to a panel on my Samsung X20, but it wouldn't work. Trying to make sure it wasn't a hardware problem, I tried the keyboard shortcut -- which did work, but shortly afterwards the machine became unresponsive for 10 seconds or so and after that reported that the gnome-power-manager had crashed. And now every once in a while the backlight of the LCD panel very slowly dims down to nothing, only to come up again a moment later.

Any ideas?
soup

Post by soup »

Felica 2.6.27-9.19
Limited functionality for Startupmanager 1.9-11-1
soup
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

I downloaded the latest version of Mint 6 [12 Dec 2008] and made a fresh install on a clean drive. I'm sorry to report that the problem with Audio In and Out when using Skype [there is none] is still evident with this latest release. I read somewhere that this bug is evident with Ubuntu but so far haven't seen a fix. Might be a good idea to solve this bug before the REAL release.

I have had to go back to Mint 5 as I use Skype frequently so am unable to do further testing.

Hope this report is of some help.

Griz.
tawan

Post by tawan »

grizwald wrote:I downloaded the latest version of Mint 6 [12 Dec 2008] and made a fresh install on a clean drive. I'm sorry to report that the problem with Audio In and Out when using Skype [there is none] is still evident with this latest release. I read somewhere that this bug is evident with Ubuntu but so far haven't seen a fix. Might be a good idea to solve this bug before the REAL release.

I have had to go back to Mint 5 as I use Skype frequently so am unable to do further testing.

Hope this report is of some help.

Griz.
Works here, same situation in Daryna, Elyssa and Felicia i had to use USB headphones (jack type no good) then set Skypes Audio settings to Plughw:Headset,0

hope that helps someone if not you.
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by idiotkiwi »

Downloaded latest 6 release ISO (not RC1). Live CD will not complete loading. Sempron 2800 1 gig ram.
Will load in safe mode but when shutting down screen dissolves into multi colour mess.
With Live CD not OK have not tried installing

Md5 sum checks Burned two separate disks at 3 x. Download took about 7 hours so will download again in a week or so & try again.

Regards
tawan

Post by tawan »

idiotkiwi wrote:Downloaded latest 6 release ISO (not RC1). Live CD will not complete loading. Sempron 2800 1 gig ram.
Will load in safe mode but when shutting down screen dissolves into multi colour mess.
With Live CD not OK have not tried installing

Md5 sum checks Burned two separate disks at 3 x. Download took about 7 hours so will download again in a week or so & try again.

Regards
is that a laptop? If so search the forum for noapic as the colored mess you mention sounds familiar and noapic fixed it for me in Daryna.
idiotkiwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by idiotkiwi »

This machine a desktop.

However tried last week to load mint 5 to a new vaio laptop of my wife's with a similar problem so had decided to wait for Mint 6 before trying again.

Regards
Bagheera

Post by Bagheera »

Congratulation first of all! it's great!
Then (exscuse me for language, i'm italian), at this time all run very well... only one problem remain for me and others i know, from rc1 at 6, and also in ubuntu 8.10 (and not in elyssa or 8.04):

the hotkey for brightness, when you use it, the gnome desktop give several bugs; lots of people have already talk about it on forums but i repeat only that rightclick menu don't works, the icon of brightness remain on the desktop, and keyboard don't write anymore.

I'm sure this isn't very important...

Good job and thanks a lot. I love this distro!!

Dell Studio 1535, intel t8100, ati radeon hd 3450, LCD
ianki

Post by ianki »

Downloaded Mint 6, burned the CD (a couple of times actually) and tried to install it several times. Always ending up with the live CD desktop. The installation process aparently goes nuts when getting to the boot management (Grub I suppose) installation. Tried to install Ubuntu 8.10 with exactly the same result.
The PC is a Packard Bell Pentium D desktop with no fancy hardware installed and previously dual booting XP and Ubuntu 7.10 without problems. And personally I'm a Linux novice.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”