Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
msuggs

Re: Linux Mint 6 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by msuggs »

Only the text based/command line version of EnvyNG is installed by default
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

The bootscreen is still too small compared to the screen size (my resolution is 1680x1050); it is ok with the live-cd, but incorrect after installation. Same bug as in Elyssa.
dudadas

Post by dudadas »

hi

I use MSI Wind Book and some applications are too big for the screen (1024x600)

Graphic performance is slightly poor compared to elysa xfce edition. I see some slices while scrolling.

Thanks
donaldwoo

Post by donaldwoo »

I installed the RC1 on my laptop (Toshiba Tecra 9100) and found that it doesn't suspend or hibernate the computer. The laptop just has a blank screen. Also, the wireless connection (through an USB antenna) drops out after a few minutes of use. I have to reboot the computer to reconnect the wireless connection.

I also would like to use XFCE and am curious if that would solve either of the problems above.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

dudadas wrote:hi

I use MSI Wind Book and some applications are too big for the screen (1024x600)

Graphic performance is slightly poor compared to elysa xfce edition. I see some slices while scrolling.

Thanks
Use Alt+Drag to move your too-large-windows
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Hi Guys,

Congratulations on yet another excellent release. Obviously a lot of people have been very busy.

Several observations,
A minor cosmetic one - the name of the release 'Felicia' is absent from the lower left of the window.

Skype seems not to work properly.
No audio, speaker and Mike don't work. I have checked all combinations possible without success.
I went back to Elyssa to find the selected settings [default] are identical for both versions.

Work areas change for no apparent reason.
Sometimes when I move my cursor quickly the work area changes. I still haven't a clue how to change back.
Happened part way through the install process and I had to re-boot. Happened a coupe of times since.

My installations are on dedicated hard drives in my HP Pavilion [dv4000] LapTop.

Thanks for all your collective effort.

Griz.
Karusia

Post by Karusia »

I really like Mint - is the 1st Linux I use for a longer time - always before I tried a release for a few days and didn't get used to it. Now i even change commands in system files :D.

Anyway - my problem is I wanted to try out the new release but all I get after I say "boot from cd" is "ISOLINUX 3.36 Copyright ...". I waited for about 20 min and nothing else showed. I tried to burn another CD (lowest possible speed) and it didn't work either. I tried to google it but didn't really find any solutions. As mentioned installing Mint 5 on the same Laptop didn't make any problems at all.

System:
Dual boot Windows Vista and Mint 5
Pentium Core 2 Duo 2 Ghz
3GB RAM
250 GB HD

Would really appriciate some feedback because I would love to try out the new release with the new features.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

For those having problems getting the Live CD to load, Husse's advice about using "compatibility mode" worked for me. This is the first time I have ever had any problems loading any version of Mint. The same disc loaded just fine on my old Dell, but choked on my MSI. All I did was click a key while the CD was loading, a menu popped up, I chose "compatibility mode," and the rest of the process was normal. It worked for me, so hopefully it will work for you, too.
Karusia

Post by Karusia »

Sorry to say but i never even get to choose a option. Right after choosing to boot from CD I get the above text on a black screen.
Ookami

Post by Ookami »

User Interface Issue (Minor)
I noticed the timezone map was very difficult to control. Unresponsive at first, but when it settles it resets to global view after one or two seconds. The Ubuntu's corresponding map is actually easier than their last one, though.

I think I might be the only one experiencing this, by the looks of the comments, so if you need more information my PC specs include a 1280x1024 res Nvidia 6200LE and a Pentium D 820.
Nickispeaki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nickispeaki »

clem wrote:This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 6 RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.
Clem.
Thanks Clem for Great work!

Ok.
Bugs/suggestions.

I have note Acer Aspire 5710ZG
Pentium dual-core T2080 1.7G 1GB, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2300

Mint 4.0 works with some dances with smart hands. :-) not all, but almost all.

5.0 can't find my video! :-0 I don't use it.

6rc1 . Compiz works great untill i open some video (ave, flv) in Totem or Mplayer.

changing of screen resolution from 1280x800 to other doesn't help! Only swichoff of Compiz in System - Preferences - Appearance, then Visual Effects in None can help totem to play video.

I suggest
or switchoff Compiz
or make additinal menu in boot menu without Compiz
or make some pop-up windows with switching after loading Gnome

or maybe make 2 iso? ;-0 1 - with Compiz, 2- without? :-)

Because i find that None in Appearance after 1 hours of searching, cp old_xorgconfig to /etc/X11 ... mouting sda7,... If i make a lot of that work, but what about newbies? (i use mint about 2 years. compile kernel, drivers, etc. )

lspci shows
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M71 [Mobility Radeon X2100] (rev ce)

but it's not true! i have 2300 radeon!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Someone had graphics problems with intel 845 - no advanced effects
This is a really old chip it simply may not have the omph needed
As for the WPA problems please continue to report - the Network Manager in Felicia is supposed to "much better"
Intel 3945 seems to bee a problem here too - it probably works mostly but....
keithp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by keithp »

Multimedia problem here, but I don't know if it is a bug.

I have two DVD drives. With Elyssa, "out of the box", Totem plays videos on either drive. Rhythmbox plays audio CDs on either drive.

With Felicia RC1, again Totem plays videos "out of the box" on either drive. However, I can't get Rhythmbox to work. It neither recognises nor plays CDs. I can't find what could be causing this.

Cheers

Keith

[Edit] I have just installed the Felicia updates and Rhythmbox now works.

Keith
Last edited by keithp on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haruspexed

Post by haruspexed »

keithp wrote:Multimedia problem here, but I don't know if it is a bug.

I have two DVD drives. With Elyssa, "out of the box", Totem plays videos on either drive. Rhythmbox plays audio CDs on either drive.

With Felicia RC1, again Totem plays videos "out of the box" on either drive. However, I can't get Rhythmbox to work. It neither recognises nor plays CDs. I can't find what could be causing this.

Cheers

Keith
works for me, but i cannot set audacious to play mp3 instead of totem, i click "open with different app..." and choose audacious but it still opens all mp3 with totem... any ideas?
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Husse wrote:As for the WPA problems please continue to report - the Network Manager in Felicia is supposed to "much better"
Intel 3945 seems to bee a problem here too - it probably works mostly but....
Had problems with my Intel 3945G basically not showing up at all. Switched to Wicd and all is well :)
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Hi!
Tested on IBM T42.

1.When mounting USB Flash Drive i get an error message that the device is not accessible, but it still mounts it anyway...

2. Cannot install ATI Radeon Drivers downloaded vom ati.amd.com (installation on Mint5 works without problems, even if the drivers are not working for hope, hope they do in 6 :)
Mike A

Post by Mike A »

Hi don't know if it has been noted yet but I find that if I turn off desk top effects a video will play smoothly. Mike in Tucson
Husse

Post by Husse »

Mike A wrote:Hi don't know if it has been noted yet but I find that if I turn off desk top effects a video will play smoothly. Mike in Tucson
This is a well known problem with compiz Let's hope that it will not be a beta any more some time soon (still version 0.7)
psimeson

Post by psimeson »

Hi, since i installed RC1 yesterday i have encountered two problems:
1) when i view my files on my IOMEGA external harddrive, Nautilus gives the message : These files are on a Picture CD ---- Open Brasero Disc Burning
2) while burning audio using Brasero i cant drag and drop audio files from the left to the right using the mouse.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Hello,
1st problem so far. I go to use Mint upload and get the following error message: Upload Failed -- 550 200811140100024: Operation not permitted. I get this any time I go to use Mint Upload.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”