Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" RC1 released!

Postby Bigtnew on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:20 pm

I have a question I was wondering about. I switched over from Ubuntu 8.10... and after the upgrade from 8.4 my 3d effects no longer worked. I found out it was because the xorg update no longer supported my system. I am now using Mint 6 which is similar to 8.10 obviously. My 3d effects work and I want them to keep working. Do I have anything to worry about when the finial release comes out? Right now the RC1 is working wonderfully.
Bigtnew
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Exige on Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:56 am

Felicia rocks! I just installed it on my Samsung Q1 Ultra UMPC last night, after going through a bunch of distro's on Live USB and a few days running Kubuntu 8.10. I was looking for something that would get the hardware mostly working without requiring endless hacking of config files etc.

Mint got me almost 100% of the way there. I love the desktop configuration, the menu, and how everything mostly "just works" out of the box. I got my touchscreen working by installing the evtouch package from the ubuntu repositories. The only thing not working was my AT&T Sierra Wireless USBConnect 881. The system auto-detected it but couldn't connect, then I tried kppp and gnome-ppp... what works for me is running wvdial from a terminal. Not the most elegant solution, but it works and is functional.

Overall I am extremely impressed so far :-) I love it!
Exige
Level 1
Level 1

Questions (prayers) answered

Postby tawan on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:56 am

Questions (prayers) answered:

Latest news <<<------- :D
tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:58 pm

And work on the KDE edition has been going on producing internal betas
I hope for a RC soon, but please remember no one in Mint works on it full time
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby steve_J2 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:34 pm

Great job guys, I'm sure this release will be a winner! Although I'm new to linux, I have tried out alot of distros and yours is by far the best overall. Easiest installation for the newbie (the only one I have managed to install on a second partition without mucking up distro on first partition).

Also, linux mint from my experience has the best hardware support overall. You guys are close to haveing the ultimate linux distro for those new to linux, intermediate, and beyoond.

Having said all this, I have one question and a couple of small suggestions you can take or leave (it is merely from the perspective of new linux user looking for right balance between ease of use, good features and good security). Firstly, I wanted to find out if you guys will now be using signed keys for package management. Huse had posted on forum back in Ausgust that you were thinking of starting this process for next mint release. So, does this edition use signed keys?

Secondly, I was wondering if someone at Mint when they have got time, might think about making a GUI for running apparmor - like the one that suse has (but I know you guys could make a better one).Thanks guys. Keep up the good work
steve_J2

Postby Enigma52809 on Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:30 am

I installed this version and am very pleased with it. I'm relatively new to linux and everything worked out of the box and other parts have been easy to get going. One problem though...
I had a couple apps open (Pidgin, Firefox, Folders) and then randomly my screen blinked twice and froze. Then whenever I moved the mouse it became all glitchy. I had to restart the computer. Sorry I can't give a more technical explanation of what happened but that is what I saw... :roll:
Enigma52809
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AlbinOz on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:19 am

Hi everybody,
I follow this project for a while, but i tested "Linux Mint" only since a few days with the Felicia RC1.
Juste one word : wonderful !
Felicia (and linux mint of course) is a distribation matching with all my wishes.
So congratulations Clem ans other developpers for all your work !
AlbinOz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ZeitUngeist on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:10 am

What about RTL 8187B with WPA passkey?

Does this work?
i'd need it... !!!

and cannot find something on google.
ZeitUngeist

Postby sarahmarienc on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:57 pm

Well, I started out here about 3 months ago with LM5 and now I've got LM6RC1 on my desktop. With LM5 my goal was just to get my windows-crashed pc working again. And it did, out of the box.

WIth LM6 RC1 my goal has been to create and effectively partitioned drive. First experience for me. And on the 3rd install I've got it the way I want it. Yay for all the help I've received.

Now that's the backdrop. I want to say that LM6 RC1 is very good right now. I have a few glitches but nothing major. I'm looking forward to the stable release :) Very happy with what is here.

All of you who help make this possible, I'd like to say thank you. I am constantly amazed at what has been accomplished through Linux in general and Mint in specific. Amazing work!

Thanks again for another great distro with great potential. Here's hoping that all the years to come better than the ones behind :) Cheers!
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"
sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby psycosmyth on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Here is a plug for the Mintcast. Talked me into 6.
Mint is not just a variety of herbal plants, it's also an adjetive for PERFECT :lol:
psycosmyth
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mitcoes on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:24 pm

I have prove ubuntu 8.10, fedora, and Mint. Mint wins but...

As I'm Spanish I install Spanish version, and there are a lot of untranslated menus, that are available on Ubuntu or Fedora.

Congratulations Fedora 10 was the first in recognising mi rare web cam, and now it does work with Mint but i would like a program to record pictures and video from the web cam as in fedora 10 only to test it easily.

Other interesting feature would be a program like fedora, and ubuntu has to make a pendrive work as live system, and even as normal system, storing preferences for the user and some hardware preferences for known machines. At least at this next release something that works. Fedora has also a windows/linux tool for installing from USB sticks.

- LANGUAGES
- WEB CAM SHOOT PROGRAM
- PENDRIVE INSTALL TOOL

it is easy as ubunto works with language packs, and fedora is opensource and you can add the web cam program to the distro, and copy the source of the pendrive installer to make one for mint.

Excellent the .mint repository, what I cannot understand is that winedoors is there and wine is not (at least i did not see wine.
mitcoes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tuche on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:13 am

poision wrote:hi clem..

are you gonna launch x64 version along with main release too?

Yea, waiting also on y x64 :)
ASUS P5Q
Intel Q6600
8192 Kingston HyperX
Geforce 8800GT
X-FI XtremeGamer
WD 150g RaptorX
Tuche
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoted from the blog
missing an opportunity to release Main and x64 editions at the same time, but don’t be mistaken, this is still my ambition and I’m confident both architectures will receive the same level of attention.
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby merlwiz79 on Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:21 am

mitcoes wrote:- LANGUAGES
- WEB CAM SHOOT PROGRAM
- PENDRIVE INSTALL TOOL

- You can help by going to the translations section in the forums: viewforum.php?f=43
- What is the program called? Maybe it's already in the repo.
- Ubuntu uses usb-creator, maybe you could test it to see if it works for mint.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby dougal04 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:32 am

Great job on Mint 6 RC1. (it might just be a x config error) I have a bug in the opera internet browser. Image and Image The text is missing. If i move the mouse over the menu the text flashes up for an instant. I have 3d drivers installed, nvidia driver ver. 96, Card is a MX440 AGP4x. I don't know why its like that. My system is a clean install, I deleted everything but my files in home partition and reformatted root partition. This is the only probmem I have had so far. I am fairly new to linux, it could be my fault but it looked normal in Mint 5.

Thanks for a great os
dougal04

Postby AK Dave on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:23 pm

merlwiz79 wrote:- Ubuntu uses usb-creator, maybe you could test it to see if it works for mint.

Ubuntu Intrepid's usb-creator has never successfully produced a fully functional Mint Felicia stick for me. Every Felicia stick I've created boots fine, apps work fine, but the installer craps about 70% through claiming that the "CD" is bad. My Felicia-RC1 isos all pass MD5. They boot. They just don't install. This on a laptop that has never before had problems installing Ubuntu or Mint.
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby tawan on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:45 am

More news kids :D

here

... to full release we gooooooooo ......
tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby badmotor on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 am

phonicboom wrote:More news kids :D

here

... to full release we gooooooooo ......

That IS good news...
badmotor
Level 4
Level 4

Kernel panic 2.6.27-9

Postby reacher4711 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:12 pm

I installed the Mint 6 RC (LinuxMint-6-RC1.iso) and installed it on two computers.
After making a dist-upgrade, the 2.6.27-7 and 2.6.27-9 kernels were present in the system, but the menu.lst line is wrongly created for the 2.6.27-9 kernel since the initrd line is missing, which causes a kernel panic.

The menu.lst looks like follows:
title Linux Mint 6, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash

title Linux Mint 6, kernel 2.6.27-9-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-9-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro single

title Linux Mint 6, kernel Last successful boot
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/last-good-boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash last-good-boot

title Linux Mint 6, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

title Linux Mint 6, kernel 2.6.27-7-generic (recovery mode)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-7-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro single
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-7-generic

title Linux Mint 6, memtest86+
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/memtest86+.bin

Adding the initrd line does the trick.
reacher4711

Postby klemperal on Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:43 pm

Appearance preferences seems to be really buggy this release. It doesn't like to install or delete themes. A lot of the time when I try to add something the window just closes up. Also, compiz doesn't seem as stable as it was in Elyssa.
klemperal
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements