Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" RC1 released!

Postby panzer001 on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 pm

Hello,

I have installed Felicia RC1 and so far it looks good! I don't know if its a bug but when I installed Frostwire via Synaptic, I can't load it! With a terminal I see this:

Code: Select all
 frostwire
HOSTNAME IS eric-laptop
Starting FrostWire...
Java exec found in PATH. Verifying...
OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE. FrostWire works best with Sun JRE available at http://www.java.com
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/lib/  hierarchy
You need to upgrade to JRE 1.5.x or newer from http://www.java.com
ls: ne peut accéder /usr/java/j*: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /usr/java/  hierarchy
ls: ne peut accéder /opt/j*: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
OOPS, unable to locate java exec in  /opt/  hierarchy

I have Java installed. So, where is the problem?
Thanks.
panzer001

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby sarahmarienc on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 am

panzer001 wrote:Hello,

I have installed Felicia RC1 and so far it looks good! I don't know if its a bug but when I installed Frostwire via Synaptic, I can't load it! With a terminal I see this:

frostwire
HOSTNAME IS eric-laptop
Starting FrostWire...
OOPS, you don't seem to have a valid JRE. FrostWire works best with Sun JRE available at http://www.java.com

Thanks.

I'm not sure what the problem is but I have frostwire on Felicia RC1 as well and don't seem to be having the same problem. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you. I'm sorry it's not working though!
Be kind- edit your post topics to show they are solved and thank the people who helped. :)

"Microsoft asks us to imagine a world with no walls. Well then why would we need Windows?"
sarahmarienc
Level 4
Level 4

Postby psych1610 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:24 pm

panzer001 wrote:Hello,

frostwire
HOSTNAME IS eric-laptop
Starting FrostWire...

Thanks.

What version of the JRE comes installed with Mint 6? With my inexperienced eye the problem seems to be either java being in the wrong place as evidenced by "unable to locate java in the /usr/lib directory", us not using the SUN JRE but instead an Open Source one (I think there is an open source JRE out there) or we're using an older version that doesn't want to work with Frostwire. I suspect its an easy problem to fix by one of the developers or a more experienced user than myself. Process of elimination I guess, if you see we're using the SUN JRE then move onto the version number and or location. Probably a case of symlinks not being updated or something..
psych1610
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mhawke on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Brand new to this Linux thing so pardon me if I'm posting in the wrong place... Just fired up Mint 6 from the LiveCD and quickly setup Thunderbird to check my email. All went well except that it seems the default settings from the LiveCD download your messages but DO NOT leave a copy of these messages on the server so when I returned to my regular Thunderbird program on XP, I can't retrieve the emails I retrieved while using the LiveCD. Shouldn't the default Thunderbird setup leave your messages on the server since the local files are wiped out upon the removal of the LiveCD?
mhawke
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:53 pm

mhawke
A very good question
I'll bring it to the attention of the team immediately
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby marcus0263 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:58 pm

Felicia is running very well, it's loaded on one of my laptops and my Workstation at work. All apps run well including NeroLinux and VMWare 6.5 Workstation, just waiting for it to be released on 64 Bit so I can upgrade my home Desktop

Here's a screenie of my laptop :cool:

Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Postby LMUser on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:48 am

Will this version work perfectly out-of-the-box with these new netbooks?

They have made a huge impact on Linux-sales, and I guess there is a huge amount of both new and old Linux users who wants a more complete Linux experience than the experience that comes with the distros of these netbooks.

I have a Acer Aspire One (a100 I guess), I've tried Live-USB on it and it did not seems to me that the wireless network card was working. Of course is it possible to install the Windows driver or find some other solution, but a lot of people would probably like to have support for this out-of-the-box.
LMUser

Postby attila1964 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:31 am

Hi,

has anybody information when comes Mint 6 Xfce? :)
attila1964
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gravity0 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:15 am

i will wait for the 64bit version to update my Elyssa
Documentation is like sex.
When it's well made, it's well made.
When it's not well made, it's better than nothing.
When there isn't, it's a desperation!
gravity0
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dnmint on Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:42 am

I have Elyssa - working well on my Desktop &Laptop.
Should I upgrade to Felicia- what would be the advantages?
Thanks
ImageDNMint
dnmint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby skrotten on Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:08 am

dnmint wrote:I have Elyssa - working well on my Desktop &Laptop.
Should I upgrade to Felicia- what would be the advantages?
Thanks

I have installed mint 6 and i had some truble with flash in web pages commercials.

in mint 6 is flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.12.36ubuntu1 Adobe flash plugin installer.
I removed this and installed Adobe-flashplugin 10.0.12.36-Intrepid2 Adobe flash player plugin version 10.

And then all working fine.
skrotten
Level 1
Level 1

Postby capricornus on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:00 am

From Mint3 on, I always was full of joy with the next step. Lately I mistrusted 32bit-versions on a 64bit DC cpu, especially *buntu's, but Felicia is the exception: I had a swift install.
And everything worked as it should. Everything I think is important, that is. Thanks again to the crew. The only competitor is easiness is, I think, PClinuxOS 2008 GNOME.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby capricornus on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:01 am

From Mint3 on, I always was full of joy with the next step. Lately I mistrusted 32bit-versions on a 64bit DC cpu, especially *buntu's, but Felicia is the exception: I had a swift install.
And everything worked as it should. Everything I think is important, that is. Thanks again to the crew. The only competitor in easiness is, I think, PClinuxOS 2008 GNOME.
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby marcus0263 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:21 am

capricornus wrote:From Mint3 on, I always was full of joy with the next step. Lately I mistrusted 32bit-versions on a 64bit DC cpu, especially *buntu's, but Felicia is the exception: I had a swift install.
And everything worked as it should. Everything I think is important, that is. Thanks again to the crew. The only competitor in easiness is, I think, PClinuxOS 2008 GNOME.

Yeah I know what you mean, I don't like any of the "buntu's" myself. Mint reworks Ubuntu into a very nice distro. Even though I've highly recommended and converted a good number of people over Mint I stuck with Gentoo 64 Bit on my main rig. I've found 64 Bit to be much more stable than 32 Bit, now that Elyssa has a 64 Bit I tried it out a couple of weeks ago. I'm now running it on my main rig and I'm very happy with it. I've also been running RC 1 on my work station at work along with my laptops, very sweet and will be upgrading my main rig at home when the 64 Bit is released.

As I tell others, there's really no one single wow with Mint or with Mint's upgrades. There's just a number of subtle changes that makes Mint IMO the most "Polished" Distro I've found.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Evil_Bert on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:37 am

dougal04 wrote:Great job on Mint 6 RC1. (it might just be a x config error) I have a bug in the opera internet browser. Image and Image The text is missing. If i move the mouse over the menu the text flashes up for an instant. I have 3d drivers installed, nvidia driver ver. 96, Card is a MX440 AGP4x. I don't know why its like that. My system is a clean install, I deleted everything but my files in home partition and reformatted root partition. This is the only probmem I have had so far. I am fairly new to linux, it could be my fault but it looked normal in Mint 5.

Thanks for a great os

I had the same Opera menu missing text problem. I was also using visual effects (compiz), 3D nVidia drivers (v96) and have an nVidia GF4 Ti4200 card. That seemed to be the cause. I briefly had the issue in OpenOffice 2.4 also, but it went away after a re-boot ... go figure. However, no amount of tweaking or re-booting would fix the Opera menu issue - I had to turn off visual effects to fix it (which it did, immediately).

Otherwise Linux Mint 6 is bloody great!
Evil_Bert

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements