Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Xfce released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 17.1 “Rebecca” Xfce released!

Post by Night Wing »

richyrich wrote:@ Night Wing - Did you right-click -> add the new DateTime to the panel ?
That fixed it. I didn't realize I had to add the DateTime plugin to the Panel. This isn't how it is done in 17 Qiana.

I don't know why it was done this way in 17.1 Rebecca, but whoever did this, I would like to remind them of an old adage and it goes like this..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

In other words when things are going correctly without any headaches; don't mess with it, don't tinker with it, don't fiddle with it, don't experiment with it, don't fix it and especially don't change it for the sake of change like the developers of the Firefox and Opera browsers did with their browsers and have lost lots of desktop market share as a result.

Again, thank you for your help. It was much appreciated by me.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Night Wing wrote:and especially don't change it for the sake of change like the developers of the Firefox and Opera browsers did with their browsers and have lost lots of desktop market share as a result.
I think I read that somewhere :lol: .

Speaking of which, I wonder why they felt the need to take an edition of Mint that works very well without having options to make it look like an adolescent boy's bedroom walls... and then added Compiz to it :roll: . Oh, well. Out of the thousands - or, at least, hundreds - of Mint XFCE users...

...it probably made two, possibly even three of them happier. I hope it at least isn't the WM that is set up to be the default one.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

@MtnDewManiac

I'm a non-technical linux user and not a power user so this is why I sometimes have problems when changes or additions are added which I'm not familiar with.

Speaking for myself, Compiz is nice, but I tend to think of it as "eye candy". It doesn't work in Rebecca for me right out of the box like some people say it does. Either my Nvidia GT 440 graphics card with it's GeForce 331.113 graphics driver is too old to support these types of graphics or it has to be turned on someplace. If it has to be turned on someplace, I'll google the info or watch a YouTube video because I have seen it working on the RC release with someone making a review of Rebecca on YouTube and I could see the revolving cube.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce

Return to “Releases & Announcements”