About Betsy

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
woodsman

Re: About Betsy

Post by woodsman »

Clem, Testing Team,

Good news about the RC ISOs. :)

How do we test updating LMDE rather than installing Betsy? The RC ISOs do not provide a method to test updating rather than installing new. I have LMDE configured for the old "incoming" branch. Will existing LMDE systems using the old "incoming" branch see Betsy update notices in the next few days?

Will there be a new LMDE forum thread to share Betsy RC testing results?

Has anybody on the testing team performed an update rather than a fresh install? If yes, ignoring typical hardware and internet speed differences, about how long does a full update require? I suspect with all of the changes since 201403 that an hour or longer might be normal.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

woodsman wrote: Has anybody on the testing team performed an update rather than a fresh install? If yes, ignoring typical hardware and internet speed differences, about how long does a full update require? I suspect with all of the changes since 201403 that an hour or longer might be normal.
Yes in a VB. 1G to download plus the install. Just installation lasted 1 hour I think. :wink:
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Yes in a VB.
Thank you. Did you have to manually edit sources.list? If yes, to what?
simonbrown

Post by simonbrown »

Just installed in VB. had some issues looping round into a reinstall, either because I did not give enough disk space or because I asked the install to reboot. Anyway, with enough disk space (30GB), taking the link to the install media off, and doing my own reboot it all started fine. Seems good so far, all functions working just fine as far as I can see.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Just installed in VB.
I haven't seen any official announcements of the RC ISOs. Do you have a link?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

woodsman wrote: Thank you. Did you have to manually edit sources.list? If yes, to what?
Of course. Packages.linuxmint should point to Betsy and other repo are official Debian Jessie repo.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

How do we test updating LMDE rather than installing Betsy?
Anybody interested please stop by to participate. :)

Updating existing LMDE 1 Systems to LMDE 2
turtlebay777

Post by turtlebay777 »

woodsman wrote:
I haven't seen any official announcements of the RC ISOs. Do you have a link?
http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08853
vonMos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vonMos »

so does it have any compatibility issues ? basically it does not have ubuntu core modification right? Debian have some compatibility issues...thow. :mrgreen:
fayad

Post by fayad »

vonMos wrote:so does it have any compatibility issues ? basically it does not have ubuntu core modification right? Debian have some compatibility issues...thow. :mrgreen:
Ubuntu is what it is because it stands on the shoulders of Debian.
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

move from RC to LTS

Post by curtvaughan »

Will it be possible to migrate from the LMDE 2 RC release to LTS via an update process when it is released, or will a new installation from the latest ISO be the only alternative? Thanks!
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

fayad

Re: move from RC to LTS

Post by fayad »

curtvaughan wrote:Will it be possible to migrate from the LMDE 2 RC release to LTS via an update process when it is released, or will a new installation from the latest ISO be the only alternative? Thanks!
Hi Curt. LMDE is based on Debian stable. The RC is the current release of LMDE. All updates will be available through its package manager. LMDE is designed to upgrade to the next release whenever it is available.
LTS is a term derived by Ubuntu. Doesn't imply to Debian or Debian edition of LM.
LittleToucan

Post by LittleToucan »

I think this is really cool news. Since I'm not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to Linux OS. I'm running Debian LMDE Mate how do I upgrade to Betsy when it's available, hopefully without doing a reinstall?
curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: move from RC to LTS

Post by curtvaughan »

fayad wrote: Hi Curt. LMDE is based on Debian stable. The RC is the current release of LMDE. All updates will be available through its package manager. LMDE is designed to upgrade to the next release whenever it is available.
LTS is a term derived by Ubuntu. Doesn't imply to Debian or Debian edition of LM.
Fayad, thanks for the reply. Been making some OS and software adjustments to the RC release and was hoping not to have to reinvent the wheel later. I am really impressed with the new release of LMDE. I think she will be my main squeeze for a while :D
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

fayad

Post by fayad »

LittleToucan wrote:I think this is really cool news. Since I'm not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to Linux OS. I'm running Debian LMDE Mate how do I upgrade to Betsy when it's available, hopefully without doing a reinstall?
Betsy is available as a release candidate and iso. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2788
Upgarding from LMDE 1 was not supported at that time of Betsy release. But I am hoping it should be possible. We have to give the team its time. Watchout the LMDE forums for its details.
There are many interested like you :wink:

Edit. Adding Clem's reply to one of the comments.
An upgrade path is planned but post-stable release. It’s also likely to be done via command-line.
Last edited by fayad on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fayad

Post by fayad »

It appears a subforum has been created to address upgrade issues and other discussions specific to LMDE 2. It will be unlocked soon. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=235
LittleToucan

Post by LittleToucan »

fayad wrote:
LittleToucan wrote:I think this is really cool news. Since I'm not the brightest bulb in the box when it comes to Linux OS. I'm running Debian LMDE Mate how do I upgrade to Betsy when it's available, hopefully without doing a reinstall?
Betsy is available as a release candidate and iso. http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2788
Upgarding from LMDE 1 was not supported at that time of Betsy release. But I am hoping it should be possible. We have to give the team its time. Watchout the LMDE forums for its details.
There are many interested like you :wink:

Edit. Adding Clem's reply to one of the comments.
An upgrade path is planned but post-stable release. It’s also likely to be done via command-line.
Thank you so much, this is good news!
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

fayad wrote:Ubuntu is what it is because it stands on the shoulders of Debian.
I thought Ubuntu was what it was because it dealt with some of the issues inherent in Debian... and then introduced some of its own.

OtOH, I thought Mint (main) was what it was because it dealt with all the issues in Ubuntu.

Not exactly sure where LMDE fits into this, lol. Maybe... Maybe Clem decided to cut out the middle man and deal directly with Debian's issues whilst avoiding Ubuntu's? <SCRATCHES HEAD> But it's based on Debian Stable, so that can't be it? I could be facetious and speculate that it's like "Coke vs. Pepsi" would be if Coke, who probably has a lock on 95% of the market already, decided to introduce "Pepsi-flavored Coke" in order to court the 3½% of the remaining 5% who favor Pepsi. But some people might not get that I was being facetious, so I will not so speculate. I do wonder why there is a LMDE, though (seriously).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

MtnDewManiac wrote:I do wonder why there is a LMDE, though (seriously).
Maybe because it's a different base, perfect for different users like me who don't want to deal with the Ubuntu based edition?
LMDE is also faster. And no reinstallations are needed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

killer de bug wrote:
MtnDewManiac wrote:I do wonder why there is a LMDE, though (seriously).
Maybe because it's a different base, perfect for different users like me who don't want to deal with the Ubuntu based edition?
LMDE is also faster. And no reinstallations are needed.
I knew about the "one-time install," but hadn't considered that it might be a big issue to some. In truth, if I hadn't recently learned about how quick and easy it is to stick a copy of an .ISO into my /boot/grml directory and update Grub so that I could boot into the .ISO (I still think that's neat! :P ) and install Mint (et cetera) that way - even onto the same hard drive - then I'd really see the appeal of it, because I cannot boot from USB, memory card, or (now) optical drive on my computer :cry: .

I didn't know about LMDE being faster. I don't really do anything with my laptop where I'd notice how fast (or not) it is, but for people who are doing things that max their CPU cores for periods of time, I'd expect that shortening that time would be a big plus.

To be honest, I wondered if the purpose of LMDE, at least originally, was to encourage ALL of us to start using that instead of the main edition. I was thinking that, maybe, it might be less work for Clem (et al) to remove any... "stuff" from Debian that he might consider to be, if not bugs, than annoyances before adding in all the Mint stuff than the amount of work involved in doing the same thing to Ubuntu. But that was obviously just a guess (probably an incorrect one) - and, even if it were true, I got to thinking that it couldn't really be saving the developers any work because they're doing it in addition to the main edition as opposed to instead of it.

Since I don't suppose that Clem is obsessed with chasing "numbers of users" like the entity behind a commercial OS like Microsoft probably is, that leaves "wants to give users as much choice as he can" as my guess. Which is nice, but... It's still extra work for the team :roll: . And, I mean... Well, I don't actually use LMDE, so it's different - but I can say that, if he announced that he was canceling Mint Xfce (please don't, lol) - even though I'd be really upset - I wouldn't be mad, you know? Because that's work, too. And, well... Sure, if he cancelled Mint Xfce - or LMDE - he'd lose some users (guessing), but I doubt he'd lose nearly as many as the amount of people that use whichever version that he would be canceling. Again, that's just a guess. If there was not going to be another Mint Xfce, I'd try the MATE version again. I cannot say that I'd stick with it, but I'd definitely make the attempt because I like the distro, what I've seen/read about Clem, this forum, and most of the other members that I've encountered here.

Err... Kind of wildly off-topic, I suppose. (Vaguely) on-topic content: If LMDE was based on something other than Stable - say, unstable, Sid, whatever it's called (IDK) and there was an Xfce version, I'd try that. I had originally wanted to try LMDE Xfce when I started with Mint, but I was told that even though it was "install once," the way life works is that I would probably not have been able to install it and "catch up" because it was too old at that point. Or something, IDK. I'm open to the concept of trying it. Maybe someday....

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”