Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
arjunned

Re: Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" released!

Post by arjunned »

As always Mint rocks!!! :D

Can't wait for x64 Felecia!

Cheers!
FewClues
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FewClues »

clem wrote:The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 6 “Felicia”. Congratulations and thanks to all the people who contributed to this release, to all the translators, to the upstream developers and projects which made this possible and above all to the development team for their continuous support [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=492

Sorry for the delay in releasing Felicia, and if we haven't released an RC for the x64 edition until then, happy Christmas everyone :wink:

Clem.
Merry Christmas Clem!!

I have my 64bit stocking hung by the chimney with care in hopes that Mint 6 x 64 would soon be there!

. Thanks for another really wonderful distribution of Mint. I simply don't understand why others haven't tried it or Mint would be the number one distribution!
Oellph

Post by Oellph »

Thank you so much!! Mint 6 is fantastic and a complete joy to use. Your PDF starter guide is also really fantastic and should be prominently displays somewhere in the distro.

I wish you guys all the best in developing this further.
tawan

Post by tawan »

Oellph wrote:Thank you so much!! Mint 6 is fantastic and a complete joy to use. Your PDF starter guide is also really fantastic and should be prominently displays somewhere in the distro.

I wish you guys all the best in developing this further.
Yes, wouldn't it make sense for it to appear on the desktop of the live CD and first installed system?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Terw wrote:I really like mint, love every second using it :) But I have one problem with Felicia; the whole computer hangs a lot. Never the same time or reason (at least none I can figure out). Is it a know problem?
I have heard through the grapevine that Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid (Felicia's Base) is very buggy. I'm running 64 Bit Elyssa on my main rig at home, Felicia on my workstation at work and also on one of my laptops without any problems. My older brother actually had to go back to Elyssa due to severe lockups also.

Anyway without any data there's no way really any of us can help you to troubleshoot. It's like calling up a mechanic and saying "My car's broke, what's wrong with it?"

Take a look at your logs and especially take a look at the xorg logs.
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
jazzi

How many languages does Felicia support?

Post by jazzi »

I've read the release blog and get that the Universal Edition support many languages, but find no answer about what's languages the Main Edition support?

Can it support Chinese if I choose CHINESE when it meet installation? and have anyone installed it? How is the CHINESE charactor looks like?

Thanks

jazzi
liquidalosh

Post by liquidalosh »

I tried some of the suggested solutions to the brightness bug but they didn't work for me.

I found a temporary solution to the brightness issue, but it works on the currently selected window (the brightness of that window will be affected and not the rest of the desktop).

You can go to Menu -> Preferences -> CompizConfig Settings Manager

In "CompizConfig Settings Manager" enable (check the box) "Brightness, Brightness and Saturation" then click on this item.
Choose the Brightness tab. There you'll find 2 keyboard icons and 2 mouse icons. What i did is next to the keyboard icon with the title increase, click on the "Disabled" button then check the box to enable this feature and then you'll be able to configure the button that will control increase of brightness. Click"Grab key combination" and then press the key you would like to assign this task or you can press a combination of buttons (ex. Ctrl+F6). Do the same to decrease the brightness.
andrewinoz

Post by andrewinoz »

alexand3r wrote:
Handyman wrote:Anyone know how to lock your screen in Mint 6? I miss this.
Yeah, its Ctrl+Alt+L... though personally I suggest you use suspend instead; saves energy see... :)
Well it's not the same thing though - I don't want to suspend the system, I just want to make it unavailable to casual users while I'm away from the keyboard (it doesn't have to be high security either... in fact I mostly want to stop my cats from doing silly things when they jump on the keyboard, as they often do)
So yeah - I really miss that feature. Is there any way to bring it back into the 'Quit' menu? Is this a new Gnome thing or Mint's 'enhancement'?
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

andrewinoz wrote:
alexand3r wrote:
Handyman wrote:Anyone know how to lock your screen in Mint 6? I miss this.
Yeah, its Ctrl+Alt+L... though personally I suggest you use suspend instead; saves energy see... :)
Well it's not the same thing though - I don't want to suspend the system, I just want to make it unavailable to casual users while I'm away from the keyboard (it doesn't have to be high security either... in fact I mostly want to stop my cats from doing silly things when they jump on the keyboard, as they often do)
So yeah - I really miss that feature. Is there any way to bring it back into the 'Quit' menu? Is this a new Gnome thing or Mint's 'enhancement'?
Not to mention suspending aka suspend to RAM usually ends up borking the system. Just recently Linus finally found the bug and the fix will be in a later kernel.

Linus' blog
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
andrewinoz

Post by andrewinoz »

marcus0263 wrote: Not to mention suspending aka suspend to RAM usually ends up borking the system. Just recently Linus finally found the bug and the fix will be in a later kernel.
Not to mention that I don't want to suspend my system!!! Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly... I don't want to suspend the system because it is DOING SOMETHING, such as downloading torrents for example... but I want to lock the screen, that's all I want. That's exactly what I want, and I get a bit mad when this clearly useful option gets removed because it seems a case of Gnome's 'we know better than users what they need'... Yes, Ctrl+Alt+L does work. But I'd rather have it in the menus somewhere because I'm hopeless with remembering keyboard shortcuts...
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

I'm happy too with my Linux Mint Felicia.

One question: Exaile music player doesn't seem to work. It doesn't play mp3's. Is there something to do? I allready upgraded it to the newest version. MPlayer and Totem (i guess it was it) do play mp3's normally.

edit: Oh, Exaile does work, but only through playlist -thing. It doesn't play mp3's when i right click (etc.) them.
madwolfa

Post by madwolfa »

Thank you, since my first acquaintance with Linux in 1997, this is the best distro so far... Installed on my work laptop instead of Ubuntu 8.10, and it's so much better, niftier and smoother!

Yay, way to go, guys! :D
hotweiss

Post by hotweiss »

Thanks for the great distro. For those of you who want to use soft RAID in Felicia, I have written this guide to help you out:

http://seethisnowreadthis.com/2008/12/2 ... 6-felicia/
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Danceman »

I have a suggestion, I have noticed that the windows when opened usually they are on the left side, which covers the "Computer" and "Home" folder. So this is easy, I just move the icons on the default left side to the right, much like the Macs. This way when I open up windows or apps they are on the left and I can still see my most used icons on the desktop. But still there is a catch, when I put a USB device or download an app, they go to the desktop but on the left side. Is there way to make them appear on the right? or go the other way, make the windows open on the right side?

My suggestion would be to put this in next Mint? Make it behave more like a mac? More organized. What do you think?
kane_of_nod

Post by kane_of_nod »

why not 'displayconfig-gtk' ??
Trump

Post by Trump »

I was planning on installing Mint 5 (64 bit) as a second OS in early December, I was delayed until now... which is cool because now I see there is this new release. I'm definitely hoping for the 64 bit version, but I've got my computer all backed up on a borrowed external hard drive and don't want to keep it from it's owner and full of my content for the next 3 months.

... So... same question as what's been asked before, I'm just hoping my sob story will garner more sympathy from those in the know: How long would you estimate until the 64 bit version of Felicia will be released?

Thanks!
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Danceman »

kane_of_nod wrote:why not 'displayconfig-gtk' ??
I tried that but thats just for resolutions and graphics card. Is there a way to put the mount icons on the right? or default windows open on the right?
urionsan

Post by urionsan »

It is great.

I really think that this could be a distrib that can fall down Windows...

the x64 ed is for WHEN?
evilmrb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by evilmrb »

Hi,

This is only my 2nd post after joining today. I just wanted to say that I think you have done a marvellous job with Mint 6. I have been experimenting for a few years with many different distros and found that they all have their good and bad points. I recently tried Fedora 10 and Suse 11.1 and both drove me nuts trying to get basic things working. For me, Mint is the most reliable, best-designed, best-looking Linux distro I've tried - and I have tried a lot. I have been recommending it to everyone.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Mark B
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jbaerbock »

Well I haven't posted in awhile due to my testing of Vista. Now that a new Mint has come out I must say I will try it on my newer comp and see if it can handle the circles I put an OS thru. Thanks Clem!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”