Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 "Felicia" released!

Postby gazzawazza on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi folks

Well done to the Developers for making this so easy to use out of the box for newbies to Linux..
I've found it so easy to use compare to other Linux versions i will install it onto my hard-drive with windows xp..
Hopefully overtime i will cease to use the other commercial sh!te involving Windows & and others.!

I Have always pirated my software ,but hated the intrusion of their phoning home WGA etc......and other software manufactures trying to phone home pass my firewall.

So for me thank-you Linux Mint for your concept of free operating systems for all..

P.S i don't mind if your bug reports report back to you's i will NOT be disabling them...
gazzawazza
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Tuche on Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:56 pm

How long would you estimate until the 64 bit version of Felicia will be released?
Tuche
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Danceman on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:01 am

kane_of_nod wrote:why not 'displayconfig-gtk' ??

I tried that but thats just for resolutions and graphics card. Is there a way to put the mount icons on the right? or default windows open on the right?
Danceman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby urionsan on Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:40 pm

It is great.

I really think that this could be a distrib that can fall down Windows...

the x64 ed is for WHEN?
urionsan

Postby evilmrb on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Hi,

This is only my 2nd post after joining today. I just wanted to say that I think you have done a marvellous job with Mint 6. I have been experimenting for a few years with many different distros and found that they all have their good and bad points. I recently tried Fedora 10 and Suse 11.1 and both drove me nuts trying to get basic things working. For me, Mint is the most reliable, best-designed, best-looking Linux distro I've tried - and I have tried a lot. I have been recommending it to everyone.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Mark B
evilmrb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby intlbeans on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:03 am

I started using Mint back around version 2, and after trying tons of different distros and nearly frying my harddrive from too much repartitioning and installing, then eventually circling back around to Mint, I remember thinking back then that it was truly an amazing distro. For my needs it was the best all-around distro with a very good balance of speed, usability, hardware support, and additional features. Unfortunately I had to give up the PC I was using at the time and my days of Linux were put on hold for a while.

Then recently a family member passed away and I inherited their recently purchased Compaq v6000 laptop--a very quirky laptop with an interesting mix of AMD and nVidia hardware that I had never seen before. It had Vista on it so without a second thought I immediately removed it and its recovery partition and started looking for a Linux alternative. Just as I did in the past, I tried many distros, including SuSE 11.1, Ubuntu 8.10, Kubuntu 8.10, PCLinuxOS 2007, VectorLinux 5.9, and Zenwalk 5.2. I was looking for one thing: a distro that could easily recognize the wireless, since this one in particular (Broadcom 4311) has had many reported issues. And now here I am after several days of swapping distros, writing this post from Mint 6. I always come back to you guys because 1) You seem to know what the hell you're doing and what the community wants more than most, 2) it's always the only distro that recognizes my odd wireless cards and other hardware easily, and 3) it's just so much fun to use. So thanks for making this amazing distro guys!
intlbeans
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jbaerbock on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:52 am

Well I haven't posted in awhile due to my testing of Vista. Now that a new Mint has come out I must say I will try it on my newer comp and see if it can handle the circles I put an OS thru. Thanks Clem!
jbaerbock
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mcurran on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:51 am

Yeah Clem, I love this distro. and I'm walking hard. Upon installing Felicia, I see a few old freinds, and oh, wait, there's a couple more running straight at me. (BUGS, BUGS, BUGS, THAT JUST WON'T DIE).

DO WE HAVE A BUG REPORTING SECTION FOR LINUX MINT? WE NEED ONE.

If you want, I could start collecting a lot of popular bug lists from Ubuntu's releases and prior releases that got carried over into ours, so that we might try to work together and resolve them before they infect Mint's newer releases. I could do that on my own free time. There are already three big bugs/problems I'm working on again this time around with Felicia that I've seen before, but my experience with the workarounds has become effortless and those were fixed rather quickly (but only for me, because I don't have time to write up another tutorial/wiki for others, because immediatley jump to the next bug/problem that came over)

Right now I'm working on my broadcom problem, which is a bug from ubuntu where the proprietary drivers are a little messed up (bcm43xx and the other one) Basically they are just not running up-to-par with the original drivers written for windows - So I'm going to try the ndiswrapper route and see if I can solve my problem and also confirm or negate all the old rumors about that approach - I'm sure you know what I mean :)

But seriously: We still have the issue with the post vga driver detection (OLD CRT MONITORS), but now having all the added and broken automations configuring xorg.conf and everything else is just leaving our users completely lost... (I'm sure there's a lot of sad folks, because I would arrogantly assume that Mint users are people like me, with not so top of the line products - where a quick change on the new kernel leaves them out in the dark fighting for the light switch.

Please consider having the web admins. setup some type of bug reporting section like ubuntu does and I'm sure we'll start to surpass their efforts in no time, then they can start sending out release notes telling their users they should look in our forums for assistance to their issues.

Sorry for the long post, but it is all completely relevant, even the heads at Canonical are becoming concerned about the shooting rise in these bugs. We need to balance the QC's with growth, or our end product will be something unfamiliar to your original plan, leaving the old and dying computers without life assistance : :cry: I guess that would be your call at this point in time.

I will do the ndiswrapper fix and I'll put that in common knowledge here somewhere as soon as it proves to be superior...
IBM IntelliStation Z Pro [6227-ACU]
Intel Xeon (3.4GHz) | Irwindale (x2)
nVIDIA GTX 460 (1024MB-DDR5)
6GB RAM (800MHz)
MULTI-BOOT: Metro/Mountain Lion/LMDE
    mcurran
    Level 3
    Level 3

Postby marcus0263 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:24 am

I've got a hosting account with tons of disk space and bandwidth. I'm perfectly willing to host a bug data base there, one suggestion though. Don't use Bugzilla, there are a number of much better open source and/or free bug databases available.
    Shuttle SX58
    Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
    G.Skill 16Gig 1333
    OCS Vertex 2 SSD
    Segate SATA II
    Palit GeForce GTS 450
    LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
    Reject the Herd
    marcus0263
    Level 4
    Level 4

Postby Trump on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:12 pm

From the blog:

LinuxMint-6-x64 is ready for testing and will be released soon (at the end of the coming week we hope)

Yay!
    Trump

Postby b4upoo on Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:45 pm

I am using Felicia and I am very, very impressed. This would be a great distro even if it had a huge company behind it. The fact that such work can come from small teams of people is a real proof that Open Source has a great future. And when it comes down to a distro that is essentially a one man band that is even more true. It should be no shock that Mint, Slackware and Mepis are my all time favorites as all of these distros are either one man or small group distros.
    b4upoo

Postby hotweiss on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:59 am

urionsan wrote:It is great.

I really think that this could be a distrib that can fall down Windows...

the x64 ed is for WHEN?

I wouldn't worry about Mint 64 too much. I just tried Ubuntu 64 and the 64 bit Flash player is just horrible... Going back to the regular Mint.
    hotweiss
    Level 4
    Level 4

Postby kanishka on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:52 am

urionsan wrote:the x64 ed is for WHEN?

If you take a look at the mirrors you're in for a surprise... :roll:
    kanishka
    Level 5
    Level 5

Postby Trump on Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 am

Trump goes and looks at the mirrors.

Trump comes back.

What?
    Trump

Postby kanishka on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:47 pm

kanishka
    Level 5
    Level 5

Postby Guest on Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:56 pm

kanishka wrote:Ok now it's official: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=20672

I see. Cool beans. :D

Postby stalonge on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:56 pm

This is my first post here ... i tested hundreds of distros for at least 4 years .. this is marvelous .. i changed all ubuntus here to mint , everything works great .. my asus av6 with 3 years of great works give thanks to all devs .. next days i will try it in a asus eepc atom .. i will post the results soon ..

thanks

:D :D
    stalonge
    Level 1
    Level 1

Postby Nessa on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:16 am

Does it have Adobe Flash 10 and Java 6.13?
    I want a balance between tweaking my OS and actually being able to use it.
    Nessa
    Level 1
    Level 1

Postby amoreto on Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:44 am

hi everyone!
    i have a flash problem with firefox.when i watch a video on youtube and i open another window,when i go back to the video on youtube ,i can't watch the video again,and in the frame of the video it's a all gray.
    and i'm playing a game online ,called my.brute.com ,and sometimes some pictures don't show up,
    i need help :p
    amoreto
    Level 1
    Level 1

Postby foggytown on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:22 am

amoreto wrote:hi everyone!
    i have a flash problem with firefox.when i watch a video on youtube and i open another window,when i go back to the video on youtube ,i can't watch the video again,and in the frame of the video it's a all gray.
    and i'm playing a game online ,called my.brute.com ,and sometimes some pictures don't show up,
    i need help :p

Hi amoreto,
    You may want to repost your question at the following location:
    viewforum.php?f=48
    And don't forget to give it a relevant title.

More people will see it there and may have advice.
    --john
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    --Aldous Huxley
    foggytown
    Level 3
    Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements