Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Cinnamon RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Linux Mint 17.2 “Rafaela” Cinnamon RC released!

Post by mr_raider »

The list of improvements are very impressive. If the reduction in system resources pans out, I may finally consider trying something other than KDE!
Responsive

Post by Responsive »

Are we suppose to install this version instead of 17.1? Because I am getting many errors with this version that I didnt have with mate 17.1. I am now trying very hard to use cinnamon 17.2.

Very unhappy with this. I will test it for a week.
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

Responsive wrote:Are we suppose to install this version instead of 17.1? Because I am getting many errors with this version that I didnt have with mate 17.1. I am now trying very hard to use cinnamon 17.2.

Very unhappy with this. I will test it for a week.
This is a Release Candidate. It is not the finished version.
You should only install it if you happy at 'beta' testing.
The finished version should be available in the next few weeks.
evenadam

Post by evenadam »

This is fantastic news; many thanks to all the developers.

Will the upgrade from 17.1 be immediately available once the stable version is released or will there be some delay in this?
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

evenadam wrote:This is fantastic news; many thanks to all the developers.

Will the upgrade from 17.1 be immediately available once the stable version is released or will there be some delay in this?
http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2855

'about 2 weeks' according to Clem.
mattem

Post by mattem »

ajcardiac wrote:
evenadam wrote:This is fantastic news; many thanks to all the developers.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2855

'about 2 weeks' according to Clem.
Yes, for the RC to be good enough to go stable. The update in the update manager will probably be there within hours after stable release.
Responsive

Post by Responsive »

They should but a warning on that this version isnt stable.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Edit by Clem: ... RC stands for “Release Candidate”, it’s a “Beta” so to speak (its quality is almost stable but it’s yet to meet user feedback and it’s released for the specific purpose of finding bugs prior to releasing a stable release).
Taken from the link in the first post.
adonis69

Post by adonis69 »

Responsive wrote:They should but a warning on that this version isnt stable.
No, is not stable, the the RC ( Released Candidate ) version.

Here is how editions are :

Alfa - First edition non public
Beta - Second edition for public in order to find any bugs
RC - Final step before the final stable version in order to find any bugs who left behind
Final stable version - the edition without bugs at all
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Hi everybody,

my laptop doesn't want Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon RC 64 bit version. :cry:

I used the other version (who support UEFI) but it doesn't work too. The liveDVD starts but it stops after a moment. I hope that the problem is not the 3.16.xx kernel who is not well supported by my laptop. I never had problem with Linux Mint 17.0 and Linux Mint 17.1 RC before. I've got a Clevo laptop.
adonis69

Post by adonis69 »

Dupo wrote:Hi everybody,

my laptop doesn't want Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon RC 64 bit version. :cry:

I used the other version (who support UEFI) but it doesn't work too. The liveDVD starts but it stops after a moment. I hope that the problem is not the 3.16.xx kernel who is not well supported by my laptop. I never had problem with Linux Mint 17.0 and Linux Mint 17.1 RC before. I've got a Clevo laptop.

I'll tell you to wait few more weeks for the final version.
For the moment, if you want, try the 32 bit. Download its 32 bit iso and use a usb stick. Use the USB stick Formatter to format the usb stick. Use the USB Image Writer to write the iso in the stick.
Turn on the computer and click on F12 in order to choose to bot from USB
Install the 32 bit by erasing the driver.
Then, after you install the 32 bit compare its performance, if you see BIG improvements, then you should install the 32 bit when the Stable Version will be ready.

It doesn't matter what brand is a computer/desktop but what there is inside : Motherboard, RAM, memory etc etc.

17.2 version is MUCH different than the previous ones. 17.1 was based on 17.0 but 17.2 it seems like it is the 18 version.
r00t

Post by r00t »

Please don't post support questions in announcements :)

(But you might want to wait until it's released like was suggested.)
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Responsive wrote:They should but a warning on that this version isnt stable.
If it was judged to be fully stable, it wouldn't be an RC (Release Candidate), it'd be the actual release. The warning that you want is inherent in the definition of "RC," lol. They probably don't put a warning not to feed rat poison to your pet rat on the package, either, because... It's in the name.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

From post #3 in this very thread:
ajcardiac wrote:This is a Release Candidate. It is not the finished version.
You should only install it if you happy at 'beta' testing.
The finished version should be available in the next few weeks.
From post #9 (also, in this thread):
Cosmo. wrote:
Edit by Clem: ... RC stands for “Release Candidate”, it’s a “Beta” so to speak (its quality is almost stable but it’s yet to meet user feedback and it’s released for the specific purpose of finding bugs prior to releasing a stable release).
Taken from the link in the first post.
Other than the statement from Clem that Cosmo quoted and I re-quoted above, there were numerous statements by him about how there will be an upgrade option for current installs "when the stable release is out" - which ought to inform a thinking and reasoning entity that this isn't it.

With all due respect (however much that is determined to be by wiser heads than mine :roll: ), if you cannot be bothered to read the posts in the thread that you are replying in, Clem's blog entry about the .ISO, the release notes which mention the numerous issues that have already been found, or any of the numerous threads in the forums that explain stuff like this... Why, then, would anyone expect you to read yet another statement about it?

This is Mint, which is a linux distro. There is no Mama Bird Microsoft to go out, catch the worm, fly back to the nest with the worm, eat the worm, predigest the worm, and then vomit it down your throat. Nonetheless, members here - and, of course, those who create and develop Mint - are happy to help. But you've got to read the information that is posted and ask questions when you do not understand.

<SHRUGS> What more do you want, FFS? Someone to knock on your door and physically prevent you from installing an RC if you CBA to deal with the possible downsides?

Come to think of it, even Microsoft offers release candidates of its OS from time to time.

Look at it this way: It was free. You got what you paid for. Other users have and are trying to help by reporting specific issues that they have encountered. You, of course, can continue to moan unhelpfully if you like.

Regards,
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
ajcardiac

Post by ajcardiac »

jcdenton2k wrote:This RC is misleading as hell. Please let people know it is an unstable/testing version.
Making the assumption that Linux newbies know what RC means is part of the reason that makes Linux a newbie-hostile environment.
.... You can lead a horse to water but.......

The thing is, if you installed it, then it was a conscious choice you made. No one made you do it. There were warning messages all over the blog. If you didn't research it properly, then the person to blame is you.

RC is not a term unique to Linux.

Personally, I'm extremely happy with my install of all four stable versions of Linux Mint. When the stable v17.2 comes out I will upgrade to them.

If the feeling takes me, I might burn/install the RC on my test rig.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I have been running Linux Mint 17.2 for a couple of weeks. It really seems very nice, almost stable. There are a couple of little issues with Thunderbird mail in this beta OS, and there are quite a bit of updates, but I knew I was getting into a beta situation so I will take these little quirks in order to enjoy the enhanced features that I have been experiencing. It is almost ready for prime time.
Alley Cat

Post by Alley Cat »

Beta and RC are not the same thing. Beta is usually expected to have some bugs that need worked out. RC is meant to possibly be the finished product, but needs to be checked to make sure there aren't any bugs left. If not, then it will be the release.
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

Easy, now! I applaud your concern for newbies, but I think you're escalating things a bit more than necessary.

1. The ads are Google ads.... they are not controlled by the website. Google seems to make certain assumptions if you have anything to do with Linux :roll: .... you can click the X on the ad, then tell them that it's inappropriate. It seems to stifle them for a while, at least! I get Google ads that seem to assume I'm an IT tech, when I'm nothing of the kind, just because I show up here and on Distrowatch. It's both amusing and annoying at the same time.

2. While the announcements here are from team members, non-team members can post replies. Don't assume that everyone posting responses is a team member.
Some may in fact be fans, and fans can sometimes a little too harsh in their defense of something. Fanboyism is not limited to Apple users or Ubuntu users... it's due to something in human nature, and it may crop up here now and then, because Mint users are human too. Be prepared!

3. Linux Mint is one of the friendliest Linux distros, and yet, it IS Linux, and partakes of the Linux culture. There is a common language and experience and people tend to assume that things are common knowledge when in fact they may in fact be jargon peculiar to the Linux community... especially acronyms like RC. Even words like "distro" are really Linux jargon.
I've been involved in Mint for a long time, but I'm aware that I'm having to make a shift when I participate here.... "dialect switching" of sorts.
There are also distros like Zorin that are more specifically aimed at Windows refugees. I haven't been involved with them, but I would guess that they are even more newbie friendly than Linux Mint as far as the forums, or I would at least hope they would be. While Mint has a traditional layout that appeals to Windows refugees, it also has it's own flavor and esthetic that also appeals to long-term Linux aficionados. And also, the distro has been around for something on the order of 10 years now... that's long enough for even Windows refugees to have forgotten what it was once like to have absolutely ZERO knowledge of Linux.
What's more, it must be REALLY tough for the programmers here to really imagine what it's like for a noob to Linux. It might help if they have ex-Windows users in their family.
smash72

Post by smash72 »

Both 17 and 17.1 have worked perfectly for me. I wonder why in first place to install beta or RC versions unless you have meaning to report bugs because that's why they release these unstable versions. :) For that users would report bugs. Right? :roll: Actually in my pc 17.1 works so well and perfectly that I'm not sure at all if I will install 17.2 stable version when it's released. I don't think I will, at least not during first months after it's been released. 8) Instead I' wait few months because after the new version is out there will be in the beginning still some bugs. At least I've noticed that there usually is. But I think people should stop nagging and complaining. Linux mint is great distro, better than anything else I've never used, and it's free! :mrgreen:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”