Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 x64 RC1 Bug Thread

Postby monkeyboy on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:19 pm

Hey Folks
I ran an update and logged out to switch OSs. When I logged back in there was a notification icon on the tray which opened this message "Method "UpdateSystem" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Transaction" doesn't exist". Beyond that the release has been rock solid.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby diego1188 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:45 pm

diego1188 wrote:I'll test it with the x86 version and see the differences.

Installed x86 but won't boot; seems to get stuck because of internal sd-card reader... :( x64 doesn't have such problem.
Still have to try in recovery mode...
diego1188
Level 2
Level 2

Postby GoustiFruit on Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:52 am

Flash doesn't work in Opera, I'm getting a blank rectangle where the video should be; but the sound plays correctly.
It can be corrected by uninstalling from Synaptic and then manually downloading and installing the tar.gz from Adobe lab website
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Tofucifer on Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:48 am

Audacious crashes when you:

1) Try to switch the output module to ALSA (am I the only one who can't get surround working in Pulse?)
2) Try to switch the default bit depth to 24 (SB Audigy Platinum - which worked fine in Elyssa)

Otherwise another bombproof Mint release.
Tofucifer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mercier on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 am

felicia x64 gnome

installed kde with synaptic

when i login to kde session i have no network :( nor icons in the task bar.

when i open network manager from menu, all the buttons are greyed out, and no connections are recognised. i have wireless card that is automatically recognised in gnome, with all surrounding networks.

is this a bug or...?

UPDATE:

went back to gnome and installed knetworkmanager from synaptic - that gave me the icon in the taskbar upon booting to KDE , and from there i had no problems configuring wireless network, as in gnome.
mercier
Level 3
Level 3

Postby max :) on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:29 pm

I've replaced Mint 5 x64 with Mint 6 x64 RC1. Gave it a go for 3 days.
Really great release, but seeing the silly and frustating mistakes the Ubuntu devs made, I'll stick with Mint 5 x64.
I researched about these problems, and none of these are Mint dev team's fault. It's all on Intrepid and Ubuntu.
The problems I encountered:

1. The new Synaptic mode to install "recommended packages" sucks. I don't want that much libs installed.
2. The biggest frustration -> the Bluetooth DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. :evil: SUCKS BIG. Can't pair, can't do anything. The bt dongle is by Cambridge Semiconductors, listed when I do "lsusb"...worked fine in Hardy and Mint 5, even without receiving files. Ubuntu's implementation of BlueZ drivers is the worst I've seen. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964139
3. Errors appear when I double-click non-mounted drives. After I say OK, and double-click the drive again, it works without problems. Annoying.
4. Using Jockey (a.k.a. Restricted hardware drivers) to install Nvidia driver for my 8500GT didn't work - stuck at "Downloading 0%"! Done it manually with Synaptic.
5. Installing hp laserjet 1020? God help you. I had to install QT4 libs and stupid hp tool (which hogs the system, like in Windows - icons on tray on startup; used the hp's tool once, no need for it but w/o the stupid thing, the printer doesn't work at all!), because manual recompiling of drivers didn't work (foo2zjs sucked for hp 1020, had to hack it by myself - typical for a large company that doesn't want to support the cheap products of the line, maybe they crippled the driver on purpose)!
5. Couldn't remove Mplayer and all the corresponding unused libs from the system - could do that in Mint 5 and Hardy - they appeared in "auto removable" section in Synaptic. I use VLC.

Guys and gals, I respect your work, I know it's not your fault. But I'm going back on Mint 5 x64. :(
Linux Mint 8 64 bit - lovely minty! :D
Work: Core 2 Duo E6750@2.66GHz, 4 GB DDR2-800, 320GB HDD, GeForce 8500GT 512MB, P35 Chipset
Play: Asus ITX-220, Celeron 220@1.2 GHz, 2GB DDR2-800, 80GB HDD, Intel GMA950
max :)
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kanishka on Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:43 am

max \":)\" wrote:3. Errors appear when I double-click non-mounted drives. After I say OK, and double-click the drive again, it works without problems. Annoying.

Yeah, it's quite annoying. And I still don't understand why I can't have all my drives mounted at the startup by default, like in Feisty.

4. Using Jockey (a.k.a. Restricted hardware drivers) to install Nvidia driver for my 8500GT didn't work - stuck at "Downloading 0%"! Done it manually with Synaptic.

This one happened to me too a couple of times. I just canceled and started again, and it worked. :?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby diego1188 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:27 pm

max \":)\" wrote:I've replaced Mint 5 x64 with Mint 6 x64 RC1. Gave it a go for 3 days.
2. The biggest frustration -> the Bluetooth DOESN'T WORK AT ALL. :evil: SUCKS BIG. Can't pair, can't do anything. The bt dongle is by Cambridge Semiconductors, listed when I do "lsusb"...worked fine in Hardy and Mint 5, even without receiving files. Ubuntu's implementation of BlueZ drivers is the worst I've seen. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964139

Mine works flawlessly... :roll:
diego1188
Level 2
Level 2

Postby plandai on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:43 am

livecd didn't load mint menu "could not load..." some uppercase message, OEIIMENU or whatever, & mint install refused to start, but i know my burnt cd is dodgey, poor quality disc that's all, so tried again, 2nd try fine...

user Mint either logs in immediately or b4 the amount of seconds it's supposed to, maybe my cd again...

o.k., install take-2:
Grub hd0 (ide), sda1: 64M swap, sda2: 5.9G Reiserfs /, no problems, lots of disc activity upon first hd boot, so i let it, it quietened down, presumably logs? works pretty darned gooooood...

(m'b: MSI 945gcm5v2, onboard intel vid, lan 5.1snd, single ide channel, 4 sataII, usbII...;
cpu: Cel. '420'@1.9GHz, nx/xd, pae, mmx, sse, sse2...;
ram: 2G (2x1G) ddrII800 (Corsair vs);
pci extra lan, pci modem, 1xfd, dvdrw on ide sla;
big _old_ crt monitor)

DVDs, including sound: fine
USB sticks: fine

Floppy: non-existent in this dimension?? wah, where'd my fd go? optical & usb drives get auto-mounted, what about my fd? :(

Compiz almost perfect: not obvious (not possible?) to get different background/wallpaper for each workspace/desktop on my cube...

not given option to change physical possibilities/restraints of display hardware, so unable to get above 60Hz refresh, damn! :
Intel GMA 950 graphics core in northbridge, & Hitachi HM-4521-D crt ( HF 28-96 kHz & VF 30-120 Hz), am able to get great res. & refresh in other os's, e.g.1152x864 @ 85Hz in '32'b colour would be fine for me, how does a newcomer do this? (yeah i could edit xorg/whatever files but am asking for user-friendly option for noobs incl. m$-refugees...:)

ta,
-plandai
plandai
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bonster on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:18 am

Some annoyance so far.

1. The Mint Slash Screen is letterbox. Donno why it doesnt fill my 22inch Widescreen at start up. Grubloader Screen is fine tho.
2. Plz use the Flash 64 Bit, Ive used for a few months now, not really any major problems. http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
3. Not sure if this is done on purpose or not. But the compiz scale feature. I cant use Middle click to close off apps when scale is activated.
4. Weird problem or maybe just me. I can launch everything fine using the `Control Center` but when i use the Mint Menu to launch apps. Like the ones in the `Admin` or `Perf` sometime it start sometimes it doesnt. And when it doesnt i Get a screen dim blink and thats it.

Other than that everything else is pimp. I donno how u guys tweak this stuff better than the ubuntu guys. But damn Keep doing it loL
Bonster
Level 1
Level 1

Postby TC on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:44 pm

I posted this in another section earlier because I didn't see this one - Sorry!

I had problems mounting extra internal drives. I would get an error.

Real Player (rm rmvb) audio and video is out of sync. The other types of video I tested (avi, wmv) seemed to work smoothly.

Like I said in my previous post: "Once the bugs are worked out, Mint-64 will be the Distro others will strive to become." Good job!

Thank You!
TC

Postby max :) on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:25 am

Bonster wrote:2. Plz use the Flash 64 Bit, Ive used for a few months now, not really any major problems. http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

I agree, 64 bit Flash works ok and it would be ok to be avaiable in Mint 6 x64 final.

Bonster wrote:3. Not sure if this is done on purpose or not. But the compiz scale feature. I cant use Middle click to close off apps when scale is activated.

Go to Mint Menu>Preferences>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings, find "Scale Addons" and make sure the checkbox next to it is checked. Then you can middle-click to close and right-click to zoom windows when you use the Scale feature. :wink:
Linux Mint 8 64 bit - lovely minty! :D
Work: Core 2 Duo E6750@2.66GHz, 4 GB DDR2-800, 320GB HDD, GeForce 8500GT 512MB, P35 Chipset
Play: Asus ITX-220, Celeron 220@1.2 GHz, 2GB DDR2-800, 80GB HDD, Intel GMA950
max :)
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 am

I agree, 64 bit Flash works ok and it would be ok to be avaiable in Mint 6 x64 final.

Look in the blog :)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby jmathew on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:26 am

Been having big problems with this release for some reason.

Boot (default options) liveCD > Fine
Try to install > Goes well until some point during the end. The screen goes black, text appears indicating that the display manager has failed and tries to restart it over and over again. Fails every time until BIOS (i think) stops it from restarting saying that "something bad is probably going on"

Someone suggested this had something to do with my video card (see below) but I tried using the "xforcevesa" option and still no joy. I also suspected maybe this had something to do with my partitions because at the install would crash the display manager right away if i checked"format".

Used to run Elyssa x64 and it ran well, except I had to turn acpi off (which I also tried with Felicia, still didnt work).

Q6600
8800gts 512
Abit Quad GT
4GB RAM
jmathew
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements