Sorry - no more anonymous posting - spammers destroyed that

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Husse

Sorry - no more anonymous posting - spammers destroyed that

Post by Husse »

Subject says it all
We got so much spam posted by "Guests" = Anonymous that we had to stop this possibility
Fred

Re: Sorry - no more anonymous posting - spammers destroyed that

Post by Fred »

Husse,

Is there any way you could combine that with a password that changes with each log-in. For example; make a small table of questions and answers and let the user add the answer to the randomly selected question to their password. Allow only three attempts and then lock the account for a specified length of time.

Let's say the user's password is "MintMan". The log-in screen would contain the randomly selected question., ie. "14 plus two equals what in base ten numbers?" The user would enter "MintMan16" in the password field. S/he would get three tries before a time lock of say 15 min.

Of course there is an old saying that applies here. "Anything one man can do, another can undo." :-)

Fred
Husse

Post by Husse »

We have an even nicer "thingy" in the wiki - "What is the sum of 10 + 11" (numbers of course random) - not a spam post since that was introduced
Unfortunately we are limited to what phpBB has to offer and that is a CAPTCHA that is utterly cracked
I will spend some time in the phpBB forum if there's less spam - it has taken me around 3/4 hour daily lately to clean the spam dirt
I could enable a "black hole" check but I fear that it would make the forum slow and not help much as the spam comes form hijacked computers - varying IP
Fred

Post by Fred »

Husse,

Yes, I would urge you not to ban/block IPs. Not only will it not stop spam, it might even increase spam, but it will deny actual users too. IP ban/block set-ups are a nightmare to try to keep up with. The IP ban/blocks attract too much attention from the wrong quarters. Pushed to extremes, you could even talk yourself into DOS attacks. I went down that road one time and it isn't a trip you want to bother with.

Fred
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Post by atlef »

Good to hear, never got the point of guest posting, seemed like a lot of extra work for admins and moderators.

atlef.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ Fred
I never considered using blacklists - the risk of blacklisting a legit user is way too high
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Some people where waiting to get a registration emails.
I think some never got them and just keep using guest.
This sucks for people who couldn't get registered, but the spam was crazy.
Also what's with the url now being forums.linuxmint.com instead of linuxmint.com/forum
Husse

Post by Husse »

Also what's with the url now being forums.linuxmint.com instead of linuxmint.com/forum
It's the new server for the forum :)
If you encounter people with no activation email ask the to try again
I think all the 500 errors in the old server may have "swallowed up" some activation requests
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I appreciate all of the heard work you are doing. Wish i had some helpful answers...
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

I know that with Husse's adjustments to the posting situation and Clem's decision to move the forum server over to Canada, this forum has a muchly improved user experience. No more spam and no more server errors. I have my fingers crossed. So far, so good.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

rivenought, has summed things up well. It's great to see the spam gone and so far no more server errors! Nice work!
Fred

Post by Fred »

So far so good on my end too. :-)

Fred
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

The forums are noticeably faster now. Nice move! 8)
stevefed5291

Post by stevefed5291 »

ya forums definitly are faster, which is great for people (like me) who still have crap-ass dsl. Just want to add that I support any measures taken to reduce spam. Spammers are the most uncivilized people on the planet...
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

Yep, faster from my end too - I also support the anti-spam measure. Sorry it had to come to that, though.
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The main reason is that the captcha is broken and Clem feels that phpBB has so many problems in itself that he does not want to add some mods - there are some nice mods if you dare install them.
We use flood control but I don't like the rest of your suggestions (like Limit the number of posts per day - on a busy day I can post up to 80 posts, so I'd be spam trapped :))
We are of the opinion that once logged in you are logged and if the spammer bypassed the captcha to get registered they can surely bypass another captcha
Akismet would be an idea but honestly I don't know how to implement it
We don't get spam now (the odd post perhaps) and partly this is because I go through all new inactive users and delete those that are clearly spambots - anything with p orn or v iagra or buy
They seem to register and wait a while before posting
If we get lots of this crap again we have to seriously reconsider but for now no guest posting has done the trick for us
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The current solution fixes the spam problem! It does not take very much time or trouble to log on to post and it is a relief to see all of the spam gone! Thanks Husse for taking care of this problem!
Husse

Post by Husse »

Agreed - the worst with the spam was that some of it was really offensive (explicit p orn images) and if not purged could potentially be a threat to the forum

Return to “Releases & Announcements”