Linux Mint 6 XFCE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 XFCE released!

Postby joutlan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm

bekylane wrote:
theZoid wrote:I'm trying to decide between this and KDE CE....anything but gnome !! nice work, kudos !!

Why you don't like Gnome???

IMHO: I recommend XFCE instead of KDE, It works great and has everything most users need without consuming too much resources.

to make the desicion easier you can install the XFCE edition and add the KDE desktop. At loging you can choose wich one to use.

I love XFCE and Gnome but never liked KDE, it is all a personal preference

Well...gnome bores the pants off of me anymore. To me, Xfce is what gnome should be and has the speed over gnome. KDE has Qt and the configuration abilities. To me, gnome is kinda in a nowhere land. In another dimension, I was solely a gnome fan,,,,but that's changed over the last couple of years.

EDIT: I ended up going with Mint Xfce CE as it's just a great implementation....beats the pants off of Xubuntu! Nice job!
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
DΞLL Vostro 3350 "Nirvana" Linux Mint 13 MATE//Win764Pro
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby KurtS on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:41 pm

I've just installed Linux Mint 6 XFCE as an addition to my main Linux install, have used mintUpdate, and created a root account & password. First thing I noticed was the clock was wrong. I went to system>time & date, but couldn't authenticate with either password to change the settings. I did do a forum search on this, but didn't see a fix. My apologies if I didn't post this in the correct section.
KurtS
Level 1
Level 1

Postby edwardXXII on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:12 pm

LM6XFCE works fine! :)
edwardXXII
Level 1
Level 1

Postby joutlan on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:26 pm

edwardXXII wrote:LM6XFCE works fine! :)

It's the best all-around distro I've ever used. Mint should default to Xfce IMO! That's where it shines the most!

To the poster about the clock problem, did you get it resolved?
DΞLL Precision M6600: "Big Dog" i7-820QM, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, RGBLED, nVidia Quadro 4000M 2.0GB DDR3, Intel 6250//ScientificLinux x64/Win7Pro x64
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Zwopper on Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:28 pm

theZoid wrote:
edwardXXII wrote:LM6XFCE works fine! :)

It's the best all-around distro I've ever used. Mint should default to Xfce IMO! That's where it shines the most!

+1 for XFCE as default!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby KurtS on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:37 pm

No, I haven't resolved the situation yet, but I'm working on it. This is the first time I've used Mint. I created a root password, because that's what I'm used to, and feel it may be more secure. However it could be what the problem is, because I remember at installation there was a notation that it wasn't recommended. I was a Debian user years ago with Libranet, then Kanotix, and Debian testing. I'm now using PCLinuxOS as my main OS. I've read so many good reviews about Mint that I thought I'd give it a spin on my extra partition, plus I've always kinda liked XFCE as a manager after KDE, but I have to admit, it's been a while. Any ideas in the meantime will be appreciated. :)
KurtS
Level 1
Level 1

Postby joutlan on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 pm

KurtS wrote:

No, I haven't resolved the situation yet, but I'm working on it. This is the first time I've used Mint. I created a root password, because that's what I'm used to, and feel it may be more secure. However it could be what the problem is, because I remember at installation there was a notation that it wasn't recommended. I was a Debian user years ago with Libranet, then Kanotix, and Debian testing. I'm now using PCLinuxOS as my main OS. I've read so many good reviews about Mint that I thought I'd give it a spin on my extra partition, plus I've always kinda liked XFCE as a manager after KDE, but I have to admit, it's been a while. Any ideas in the meantime will be appreciated. :)

ah ha....I'm a former Libranet user. I've tried to use PCLOS on this Dell Precision m4400, but I'm having kernel panics. The only distro I've been able to run reliably is a Ubuntu derivative. Same here...for me it's KDE>Xfce>Gnome in order :D

Any of the Mint releases are about as good as it gets, IMO.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 6 XFCE released! -- Question About Ram

Postby Hawkeye_52 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:41 pm

This probably belongs in the noobie section, and if I have posted in the wrong place, I understand if this has to be moved. Anyway, here goes....

I have an HP Slimline with an AMD 64 bit CPU and 4 GB of ram. Will an installation of Linux Mint XFCE (or Gnome for that matter) allow me access to the full amount of ram I have installed? I thought I read somewhere that 32 bit distros would not take advantage of ram above a certain amount.

Thanks in advance for any help, or a link to finding out the answer. :oops:

Hawkeye
Hawkeye_52
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 6 XFCE released! -- Question About Ram

Postby joutlan on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:01 pm

Hawkeye_52 wrote:This probably belongs in the noobie section, and if I have posted in the wrong place, I understand if this has to be moved. Anyway, here goes....

I have an HP Slimline with an AMD 64 bit CPU and 4 GB of ram. Will an installation of Linux Mint XFCE (or Gnome for that matter) allow me access to the full amount of ram I have installed? I thought I read somewhere that 32 bit distros would not take advantage of ram above a certain amount.

Thanks in advance for any help, or a link to finding out the answer. :oops:

Hawkeye

If you use 64 bit Mint 6, it will use all of your ram. 32 bit will recognize about 3.5, but it not going to make any performance difference for the majority of us.
joutlan
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements