Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Plusculus

Re: Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Plusculus »

1. Wiced doesnt connect automatically if you are not on eth0. (ive got 3 network-cards)
2. Sometimes thunar doesnt grow to its normal size. Especially if i choose files out of dialog-windows (search for attachments etc...)
3. With my x1600 pro i got problems with compmgr. the performance overall is low then. after disabling, everything is fine again.
4. After installing fglrx-drivers the resolution and refreshrate on logon are set wrong (not like desktop settings)
5. Virtualbox doesnt install right, because one wrong string in a textfile. ( http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a )
6. Cant boot on SATA as first HDD and PATA as secondary HDD, because GRUB got something wrong i guess.
same on powered-on external SATA-USB-HDD. i couldnt fix it. USB-Sticks doesnt make such problems.

My english is to bad to describe all bugs in detail, sorry.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Plusculus wrote:1. Wiced doesnt connect automatically if you are not on eth0. (ive got 3 network-cards)
2. Sometimes thunar doesnt grow to its normal size. Especially if i choose files out of dialog-windows (search for attachments etc...)
3. With my x1600 pro i got problems with compmgr. the performance overall is low then. after disabling, everything is fine again.
4. After installing fglrx-drivers the resolution and refreshrate on logon are set wrong (not like desktop settings)
5. Virtualbox doesnt install right, because one wrong string in a textfile. ( http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a )
6. Cant boot on SATA as first HDD and PATA as secondary HDD, because GRUB got something wrong i guess.
same on powered-on external SATA-USB-HDD. i couldnt fix it. USB-Sticks doesnt make such problems.

My english is to bad to describe all bugs in detail, sorry.
1. You can select the appropriate ethernet card in Wicd. Expand the Wired Network section and there should be a drop down list of your cards. I only have one card so can't be 100% sure...

2. This is a known bug that appears in Ubuntu, some versions of Debian and also Suse... https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/279699

3. I will make it easier to turn off xcompmgr in the final. At the moment is simply deleting some lines in ~/.fluxbox/startup. Please see the 'Whats new' page of the RC. I have a very old SiS integrated card and it works fine. If you can find a solution for your hardware I can try to implement it.

4. Same as above. I don't have the hardware so I can't test or debug.

5. This sounds like a Virtualbox issue or an upstream issue... the mentioned files are not maintained by Linux Mint.

6. Phonicboom is also having problems with external hard drives... If you can give more specific details about the problems you are facing with GRUB maybe a solution can be found... At the moment GRUB is configured during installation by the installer... which is the same for all versions of Linux Mint. So any fixes will have to be implemented by Clem. I am pretty stumped for solutions with the external HD problems. If you find a solution, do let us know.

Don't worry about English... I can only dream of writing in your language as well as you can in English :D Thanks for the feedback... Sorry I couldn't be of more help...
Husse

Post by Husse »

Problem #6 boot problem is probably the "old gfxgrub" problem
Look at this
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
Plusculus

Post by Plusculus »

Well, thank you both. If i can fix any of the problems, ill let you know of course. solution for problem six in wikipedia sounds interesting. thanks!
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Conky is flashing about every 4 seconds on Desktop. Tried adding Battery Meter in file also. Doesn't show up. I have acpi , acpid. and acpi=support showing installed in Synaptic. I don't have acpi tools installed though. Below is my Conky conf.

Code: Select all

# Conky, a system monitor, based on torsmo
#
# Any original torsmo code is licensed under the BSD license
#
# All code written since the fork of torsmo is licensed under the GPL
#
# Please see COPYING for details
#
# Copyright (c) 2004, Hannu Saransaari and Lauri Hakkarainen
# Copyright (c) 2005-2007 Brenden Matthews, Philip Kovacs, et. al. (see AUTHORS)
# All rights reserved.
#
# This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
#
# $Id: conky.conf 1193 2008-06-21 20:37:58Z ngarofil $

alignment bottom_left
background no
border_width 1
cpu_avg_samples 2
default_color white
default_outline_color white
default_shade_color white
draw_borders no
draw_graph_borders yes
draw_outline no
draw_shades no
font 6x10
gap_x 5
gap_y 60
minimum_size 5 5
net_avg_samples 2
avoid flicker
double_buffer yes
no_buffers yes
out_to_console no
own_window yes
own_window_class Conky
own_window_type normal
stippled_borders 0
# Update interval in seconds
update_interval 1
uppercase no
use_spacer no
show_graph_scale no
show_graph_range no

TEXT
${scroll 16 $nodename - $sysname $kernel on $machine | }
$hr

${color white}battery: ${color white}$acpiacadapter, ${battery_bar BAT1}
${color grey}Uptime:$color $uptime
${color grey}Frequency (in MHz):$color $freq
${color grey}Frequency (in GHz):$color $freq_g
${color grey}RAM Usage:$color $mem/$memmax - $memperc% ${membar 4}
${color grey}Swap Usage:$color $swap/$swapmax - $swapperc% ${swapbar 4}
${color grey}CPU Usage:$color $cpu% ${cpubar 4}
${color grey}Processes:$color $processes  ${color grey}Running:$color $running_processes
$hr
${color grey}File systems:
 / $color${fs_free /}/${fs_size /} ${fs_bar 6 /}
${color grey}Networking:
Up:$color ${upspeed eth0} k/s${color grey} - Down:$color ${downspeed eth0} k/s
$hr
${color grey}Name                  PID   CPU%   MEM%
${color lightgrey} ${top name 1} ${top pid 1} ${top cpu 1} ${top mem 1}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 2} ${top pid 2} ${top cpu 2} ${top mem 2}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 3} ${top pid 3} ${top cpu 3} ${top mem 3}
${color lightgrey} ${top name 4} ${top pid 4} ${top cpu 4} ${top mem 4}

I tried using Bat0 with no results either. Other than that, smooth sailing with setup and install on sda3. Wiped out Xubuntu 8.10 to give Mint Flux a whirl. If you notice, I edited double_buffer and update also to try to fix conky from flickering. Stumped at what to try next. To distracting to run at the present time. Tried one other experiment also. Went into synaptic and installed Icewm Desktop to see if conky would flash in it. It did. Uninstalled Icewm after that. This install is on a IBM T23 1.2 ghz, 1 gig ram, 80 gig HD, with Mepis Antix 8, One empty partition still, and Mint Flux RC1.

Everything else is working ok including Wireless G PCMCIA Belkin F5D 7010 card.. Here is my lspci readout.

Code: Select all

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82830 830 Chipset Host Bridge (rev 04)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82830 830 Chipset AGP Bridge (rev 04)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM USB Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 42)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801CAM ISA Bridge (LPC) (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801CAM IDE U100 Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. SuperSavage IX/C SDR (rev 05)
02:00.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
02:00.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1420 PC card Cardbus Controller
02:02.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems WinModem 56k (rev 01)
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801CAM (ICH3) PRO/100 VE (LOM) Ethernet Controller (rev 42)
07:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
uname -r
2.6.27-7-generic
$ cat /etc/issue
Linux Mint 6 Felicia Fluxbox CE\n \l

:D Nice distro so far! Congrats are in order. Happy Trails.
tawan

Post by tawan »

I would guess that

avoid flicker
double_buffer yes

should be

# avoid flicker
double_buffer yes

as "avoid flicker" is a comment not a command so should be commented out with a # so that it is only read by a human not conky

see conky FAQ

rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

Well, I guess I screwed up a little. I was editing conky conf. file when I shoulda been editing concy rc file. I didn't know if mint had a conky rc file till I went to try out your suggestion and found it. Feel kinda like a idiot, but I'm just a Tattoed Linux Biker user. Nothing but your average self taught Linux user type joe blow. No Programming background, GED type guy. Any hows I went and edited conky rc file to just double_buffer yes and flashing conky is now fixed. Now to figure out how to unchange what I did to conky conf. And then try to add Battery moniter in conky rc now that I know where it is at. Wouldn't have found conky rc if it wasn't for your suggestion phonicboom. Thank you. Will plod along. Happy Trails.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

from the 'whats new' page
Automatically Restore Configurations

This feature has been present since the Daryna release but many users do not know of it. Should you, for some reason, mess up your Fluxbox, Mint-FM2 or certain other settings and have no idea how to fix it, there is a simple solution to restore the default settings. Simply delete the concerned file(s) or folder(s), log out and log back in. The default settings will be restored. See the /etc/skel directory to find out which files/folders are restored. Only files and folders that are not present in your Home folder are restored.
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

I have noticed that when I use click on the Mintupdate icon in the system try, it brings up the administrator dialog. After I enter the password, it take at least 20 seconds to accept the password and restore the screen to it usable state. I'm not sure if it does this when using synaptic, as I haven't used it, but I'll try later.

I really like the new Mint Fluxbox. You got things fixed, that made me not want to use it in the previous edition...like shutting down without having to enter the password. I also like the effects it has. I second the request to disable desktop scrolling with the mouse on the desktop, and instead using the keyboard shortcut of alt+arrows. The mouse switching feature is annoying on a touchpad.

Thanks for the good work.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

caris_mere wrote:I have noticed that when I use click on the Mintupdate icon in the system try, it brings up the administrator dialog. After I enter the password, it take at least 20 seconds to accept the password and restore the screen to it usable state. I'm not sure if it does this when using synaptic, as I haven't used it, but I'll try later.

I really like the new Mint Fluxbox. You got things fixed, that made me not want to use it in the previous edition...like shutting down without having to enter the password. I also like the effects it has. I second the request to disable desktop scrolling with the mouse on the desktop, and instead using the keyboard shortcut of alt+arrows. The mouse switching feature is annoying on a touchpad.
1. This is a problem with xcompmgr... Should disable it by default? We'd be losing some 'wow' from our first impression... but if it is causing problems...

2. Look further up in this thread, I described how to turn desktop wheeling off according to the Fluxbox wiki... Only it doesn't seem to work. Please try it out also.
tawan

Post by tawan »

shane wrote:I described how to turn desktop wheeling off according to the Fluxbox wiki... Only it doesn't seem to work. Please try it out also.
In .fluxbox/keys

replace

OnDesktop Mouse4 :nextWorkspace
OnDesktop Mouse5 :prevWorkspace

with

Mod1 Control Right :nextWorkspace
Mod1 Control Left :prevWorkspace

Save

then Menu > fluxbox > reload config

This gives the more commonly used CTRL+ALT+Arrow key desktop scrolling for fluxbox

Unfortnately this does not stop mouse scrolling like i though it would :( (i though mouse 4 and 5 were scroll wheel)

but, does give the handy keyboard shortcut for those of you who had not worked it out yet.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

mouse 4 & mouse 5 are the extra buttons some mouses have on the sides...
caris_mere

Post by caris_mere »

With xcompmgr, I guess it'd be fine to leave it, but how do I disable it? I have also noticed that some of my windows "maximize" but then leave only a small portion visible with the rest having a shadow where the window should be. I then right-click on the bar at the top of the window, and then the rest of the window appears as it should. Is this also because of the xcompmgr? If so, I would like to disable it on my computer.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

See the RC release notes for how to disable xcompmgr.

I have made changes in the final so that the only change to be made is commenting out one line.
tawan

Post by tawan »

I upgraded to kernel 2.6.27-11 and took all the other upgrades that Package Manager offered me including the new Slim. I did it from a relatively fresh install and all is well this time, no 'Mysterious Window' bug appeared - all good :)
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

phonicboom wrote:I upgraded to kernel 2.6.27-11 and took all the other upgrades that Package Manager offered me including the new Slim. I did it from a relatively fresh install and all is well this time, no 'Mysterious Window' bug appeared - all good :)
Yes Merwliz located the bug in slim and fixed it...

Return to “Releases & Announcements”