Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 Bug Thread

Post by shane »

phonicboom wrote: 2 bugs persist.

1) Unable to unmount USB drive (error and instant remount)
Is the USB drive plugged in at boot? This would make mintDisk mount it as root... hence you wont be able to unmount it as normal user. If not, can you please paste the output of

Code: Select all

mount
phonicboom wrote: 2) even though I can boot and all is well I see this message briefly before my desktop

kinit no resume image
This is the boot process looking for a hibernated session... It does find one and so 'no resume image'
phonicboom wrote: When the system is up I can logout via GUI but CTRL+AL+BKSP does not work, I get the above message and am stuck at CLI login.
Slim does not automatically restart after X has been killed... unlike GDM.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

phonicboom wrote:I note on my new install that Mint Update checks for updates and shows system is up to date, but if I open mint update I see lots of updates (one for mintinstall) some level 2's and some 3's. It is a little odd that the sys tray showed the system as up to date.
Hmm... I am using the exact same packages used in the XFCE CE edition... The backend is identical to the Mint Main edition. Don't know what to make of it... But I think I'd rather wait for Merlwiz to fix that as I am only just learning Python.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

For the Atheros wireless cards... since the solutions seem to be different for different cards, I will have the linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic and linux-backports-modules-2.6.27-7-generic packages in the apt cache. So that if you are in a LiveCD you can apt-get install them without an internet connection. Then you can rmmod and modprobe the drivers as required... Hopefully, this will give you a workable solution in the LiveCD.

Note: Even if you install these packages before installation, you have to do it again after installation as Ubiquity will not install these packages.

Any better/other ideas?
tawan

Post by tawan »

shane wrote: Is the USB drive plugged in at boot? This would make mintDisk mount it as root... hence you wont be able to unmount it as normal user. If not, can you please paste the output of

mount
The drive is plugged in, but not turned on at boot.
Output of "mount" is /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)
shane wrote: Slim does not automatically restart after X has been killed... unlike GDM.
Oh, ok :) So what do I type to get back in?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Oh, ok :) So what do I type to get back in?
You find a slim file :) in init.d do

sudo /etc/init.d/slim restart
To my knowledge you can issue the commands stop, start and restart to all you find in init.d
tawan

Post by tawan »

Husse wrote:

sudo /etc/init.d/slim restart
thanks
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

globetrotterdk wrote:Just a few comments having played around with it for a day:

!) Wow! this is a lot better than LM5 Fluxbox. The last version didn't appeal to me visually.
2) A few ideas could be added from #! CRUNCHBANG Linux for LM6 Fluxbox version - ability to edit and rearrange items in the Fluxbox menu, direct links in the menu that will let you edit config file for Conky , Conky starts by default at startup.
3) It would be nice if Conky could be configured to patch into temperature and fan sensors if installed on a laptop.
4) Installing missing stuff for Internet Time correction does not install.
5) I am really not thrilled by LM default black and super green layout (sorry guys, I want to, but I don't). How about a blubuntu alternative across the board for all LM versions? Something that can be installed as meta package with theme, desktop, splash screen, log in screen, etc.
6) I chose to automatically log in, but this preference didn't survive the install on an IBM ThinkCentre.

Cudos. This version is really hot.
1) Thanks!
2) Mint-FM2 provides a good starting point for the menu. It also automatically adds any new applications to the menu automatically... provided they install a freedesktop.org compliant .desktop file. Otherwise the menu remains completely customizable. Simply edit the files and your changes will be preserved through menu updates...

I personally have Conky auto launching when I log in. But I think a cleaner and uncluttered setup is better as the default. It can be added easily to the Fluxbox startup file.

3) If you machine's sensors are detected by lmsensors it should be easy to add these to Conky. CPU temperature is present in the default setup.

4) I will have to look into that... I don't know why it is doing this...

5) I am not very skilled when it comes to art... and i guess it shows :lol: Blue icon themes, GTK themes and Fluxbox styles are available by default.

6) The installer is set to work with GDM not Slim... so that option wont work.

Please read the "What's new" page. http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_fl ... atsnew.php
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

KLonsdale wrote:I have tried to boot the cd but it hangs and the screen goes blank just before the progress bar finishes.
Quoted from the release notes:
Troubleshooting the Live CD

* Always make sure the MD5sum is correct.
* 2nd Always burn at the lowest speed possible.
Also please give more details about your hardware. Make and model...
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I tried disabling the workspace switching by scrolling on the desktop, but it doesn't seem to be working. Can you please try it on your machines. Here are the instructions (from http://fluxbox-wiki.org/index.php?title ... _init_file ):
wheeling settings

session.screen0.desktopwheeling: <boolean>
session.screen0.toolbar.wheeling: <boolean>
These set the ability to utilize the users mouse scroll wheel.
Setting these values to 'true' allows the user to essentially
scroll through workspaces on the toolbar.
Default: true
session.screen0.reversewheeling: <boolean>
This setting enable the user to reverse the order in which
desktops are scrolled trough.
Default: false
You should change the the line in ~/.fluxbox/init to look like this:

session.screen0.desktopwheeling: false
Does this work for you?
tawan

Post by tawan »

shane wrote:

session.screen0.desktopwheeling: false
Does this work for you?
does nothing here :/
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I have made some changes to the GTK theme... please replace the file: /usr/share/themes/Elfin2-mintfb/gtk-2.0/gtkrc
with the one attached with this post. Select Elfin2-mintfb in the System Tools > User Interface Preferences tool... if it is already selected, select another theme and reselect it.

Let me know how the readability issues are.

Here is a screenshot if you don't want to go through the hassle.

Feedback is most appreciated. :D
tawan

Post by tawan »

before

after

EDIT - I altered every value in that file and the two related files and not one of them changed the text colour in the "MIntConfig" - that colour may be set elsewhere?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

The problem here is mintConfig. The background of the window and the the gray text (2nd line) are the same color no matter what theme you use. I sifted through the code but I don't know where this is defined. I'm just getting into Python and have almost zero knowledge of Glade... Any ideas?

Otherwise you should notice that the fonts on light backgrounds are darker while those on dark backgrounds are lighter... The only exception I found is the Firefox menu bar which uses the color for the normal menu items instead of the normal black color like the other applications or even the tabs in Firefox... I'm hoping this isn't a big deal because this is FF specific... and I don't know how to fix it...

The fonts in combo boxes' drop down menus should be more readable now... as seen in the screenshot I posted.
tawan

Post by tawan »

cool it was only mint config and non gtk things like FF, skype, VLC and such that have isues as they are not following the theme properly - but this is to be expected in non standard stuff- just a pity about mint config, not for me personally but those with poorer vision.

..anyone else?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

phonicboom wrote: Output of "mount" is /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)
The USB drive should not be plugged in at boot, otherwise is gets mounted as root. Here is the output of mount when plugged in after boot.

/dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,utf8,shortname=winnt,uid=1000)
Notice uid=1000 meaning that it has been mounted by user with UID 1000 i.e. me... hence I can unmount it without problems.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

xavier.march wrote:Hi to everyone here...thanx for distro like Mint runnig on fluxbox, its small and sexy for old craps like I have...

I have few things to report, but they arent bugs I think

It is combination of fluxbox and some Mint tools - MintInstall and in fluxbox absent Mintmenu...
Installing new soft is easy, there is only one problem - If you open Mintinstall, there is a list of software available to instal, but you dont see what soft from that list is already installed (in usual Ubuntu installer you have a clickbox), but yes most users know what they have in their computer installed...but next problem is Mintmenu that is replaced by usual fluxbox menu - I dont have original Mint distro on my computer, but I saw in release notes, that uninstalation of apps is done by clicking on choosen app by right mouse button and choosen uninstalation (or remove Im not sure) from menu that appears...this way doesnt work in fluxbox, so you have to go to synaptic and remove soft there... any chance that Mintinstall can change a bit and there can be some selection like INSTALLED APPS + button for uninstalation?

As I wrote higher - its not a bug, its just an idea ;) and maybe placed in wrong thread - because only fluxbox mint its probably affected by this

Hope you understand to my english, and dont bann me for this reply ;)
Hi Xavier!

You'll have to do something much worse to get yourself banned :lol: I think I understood you just fine.

mintMenu is specific to the Main Edition of Linux Mint. It is not found in the other editions. We are using the exact same packages of mintInstall for this edition as the Main edition. So implementation of your ideas concerning mintInstall would have to be done there. You can submit a suggestion in this section of the forum: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=29

Implementing the right-click uninstallation as it is in mintMenu cannot be done in Fluxbox. However, something similar might be possible. I will have to think up a way to do this. Unfortunately, we are already at a release candidate stage, so we are only fixing bugs and not adding new features. If I can get this to work it will be in a future release for sure! I never thought about adding this before. Thanks for the idea.
tawan

Post by tawan »

shane wrote:
phonicboom wrote: Output of "mount" is /dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)
The USB drive should not be plugged in at boot, otherwise is gets mounted as root. Here is the output of mount when plugged in after boot.

/dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,utf8,shortname=winnt,uid=1000)
Notice uid=1000 meaning that it has been mounted by user with UID 1000 i.e. me... hence I can unmount it without problems.
The cable is in but the drive power is off at boot.

To double check the issue I removed the cable too and rebooted. On boot I inserted the cable and mount reported no drive. So i turned on the drive and mount said;

/dev/sdb1 on /media/disk type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal)

(same as before) and it still would not unmount -- but anyway, I don't want to hold up the release, maybe it is something we can fix in the forums later if it is only me having the issue. I am really enjoying using Felicia Flux and don't want to be the guy pointing out problems all the time.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

phonicboom wrote:I don't want to hold up the release, maybe it is something we can fix in the forums later if it is only me having the issue. I am really enjoying using Felicia Flux and don't want to be the guy pointing out problems all the time.
:lol: no worries... strangely with the latest ISO i can reproduce the maximized unnamed window... its really puzzling... after closing it, no process is killed. It's just a window and nothing else. I'm still trying to figure it out.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

I think I have narrowed the cause of the unnamed window bug. It has something to do with slim. Does this window appear immediately after installation (no updates installed)? There is a newer version of slim in the repositories. Does this window appear after upgrading to this version?

Please specify which version of slim you have installed.
tawan

Post by tawan »

The window bug appears after updating and does not occur on a fresh install.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”