Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Windows

Re: Linux Mint 6 Fluxbox RC1 released!

Post by Windows »

shane wrote:Do you mean that the System Tools submenu appears over the main menu? What resolution are you running at? Please post your problems in the thread dedicated to bug reports. It makes it easier to follow. Here it is: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=22755
No, no, no. It is just freezing of mouse pointer when it goes up throug menu. Freezing hapens when mouse pointer on "System settings". It is not bug, but not very comfortable moment of working in slow machine.

Could you tell me, how can I
1. turn off compiz
2. and make menu background light (not dark). In CRT monitor dark menu background (in Firefox menu, Abiword menu etc, not in main fluxbox menu) not comfortable for the eyes.

Thank you in advance.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Windows wrote: Could you tell me, how can I
1. turn off compiz
2. and make menu background light (not dark). In CRT monitor dark menu background (in Firefox menu, Abiword menu etc, not in main fluxbox menu) not comfortable for the eyes.

Thank you in advance.
1. Turning off the effects is described in the release notes
If your system has 3D acceleration enabled, Fluxbox will automatically start xcompmgr which provides some fancy compositing effects. If you wish to disable these effects, delete the following lines in ~/.fluxbox/startup

#start xcompmgr if direct rendering is enabled
var=`glxinfo | grep rendering`
if [ "$var" = "direct rendering: Yes" ]
then
xcompmgr -f -c -I 0.1 -O 0.1 &
fi
2. Change the GTK theme using System Tools > User Interface Settings. You can change the Fluxbox style by going to Fluxbox > Styles and choosing whichever one you want.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

wereistheanykey wrote:I tried fluxbox, and in MHO the purpose of fluxbox is to make KDE4 look good (BTW I like gnome better then KDE 4- as a Linspire user I loved KDE 3 but KDE 4 fell off the tracks)
Fluxbox isn't for everybody. If you like a minimalistic approach it is probably for you. Otherwise there are other environments that may suit you better. Each one to his/her own.
rivenought

Post by rivenought »

With plenty of Windows XP (and earlier) boxes out there with minimal hardware specifications awaiting rebirth into the Linux world, there will be much more of a need for basic, yet fully-featured, Linux distros such as Mint Fluxbox. I agree that Fluxbox is not for everyone, but it is certainly a great option to have available. There are even some folks with high-performance hardware who wish to enjoy the lightning-fast Fluxbox version. Choice is good. Oh yeah, excellent job, Shane. :wink:
yahtzeek9

Post by yahtzeek9 »

Thanks for the release. Just revived a 450Mhz Pentium III with 256megs of ram. It's Flying Now. Thanks Clem and everyone who worked on the project. :D :D :D :mrgreen: :wink:

Return to “Releases & Announcements”