Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Postby big_dog1968 on Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:02 pm

There is a noticeable delay when resizing windows? On this same PC, I run Compiz in Mint Gnome, and with the same settings, it is faster and smother. I have a year old quad core system (Core2 quad 6600), with a pretty recent ATI card (HD3850), and 2 gigs of memory. I would think I had the ability to run KDE 4.2 with everything on and still have a robust system.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby kanishka on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:59 pm

WildSioux wrote:re: Nvidia 180.xx drivers. What drivers did you install? I have the 180.29 currently installed and it is running fine.

I installed the 180.11. Everything is fine, except the occasional problem with firefox's scrollbars you described. And yes, the "Install scrollbar fix" did nothing :)
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dlkreations on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:01 pm

I went ahead and installed the RC1 on my system. Everything was running great, and added the Lancelot Launcher when all of a sudden, my system locked up while running a screensaver; one of the opengl ones as a matter of fact. Anyhow, I had to do a hard reboot, then when I logged back in, my Lancelot menu was messed up. It said something along the lines of "Could not find the requested component: lancelot_launcher". Any ideas how I can get that back> I went into Synaptec to reinstall it, but it said that it required a dependency that if I selected would totally remove KDE.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Boo on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:14 am

I would remove lancealot from the panel and put it back again.
you have to watch the lock and unlock widgets.
if you have it unlocked and your system crashes your plasmoid settings may be lost, espically if you just added a widget.
I dont even trust just locking the widgets to save the plasmoid options to file, i even log out and in to make sure.

you could also check the backports to see if there is a newer version of lancealot for 4.2. the current version was for 4.1 and i may have read that the next version was to be in the ubuntu repos once 4.2 was out...

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby dlkreations on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:24 am

Yeah the panel was unlocked when it crashed. I have tried removing it and putting it back in with the same effect. Unfortunately I had just added it and went for a smoke break, locked my laptop and not 5 minutes later came back to log back in and it was frozen. The rest you know.

I will try double checking to see if I enabled the backports, but I believe I did. I may just go back to the Main edition anyway. Just feels more like home to me. But if you come across something, I will definitely be interested.

Thanks for the reply.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby hamburn on Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:06 pm

List of bugs

no “open as root”

The numbers are changed between /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1
That was a bug also in the Mint 4 KDE CE, nothing changed since then.
In Gnome and xfce it’s ok.
Amorak and other music players can’t even see the media in /dev/scd 0 and 1

I can’t see if a cd or dvd is mounted. no sign on the desktop

I can’t mount other partitions, so as my home folder on Mint 6 x64 or my external hard disk.
But it works from my Mint 6 x64 in the other direction.

The screen savers don’t work properly, that is said very mild. There are so much bugs I cannot list all here. Nearly each of them works, let say, very funny.

The most widgets don’t work properly if they are working at least. :roll:
for linux to be successful on the desktop for normal users, normal users have to feel comfortable with it.
The interesting users are your mother, your neighbor. Those are the people that will decide whether or not linux is accepted on the desktop.
M.B.
hamburn
Level 2
Level 2

Postby stabby on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:05 am

I put Mint 6 KDE on usb stick to boot from it and see how it works. I got mint splash screen and then error box poped up saying about low-graphics mode, and after that it hangs in black screen.
I'm not sure if it's Mints or KDE fault, but I tried the same with Mint main, Mint 64, and Kubuntu, and bunch other distros. They all work no problem, only Mint 6 KDE doesn't load properly.
Anyone had similar problem??
stabby
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rob Brill on Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:28 am

Hi,

Live DVD only loaded in compatibility mode

On the hard drive

Partition Editor - Good
Installation - Good

The system mounts and play DVD but does not mount Audio CDs
I can hear Audio CDs running KsCD or Kaffeine (installed)

What is the use of that ScreenSaver 5.0 - menu > apllications > system > screensaver settings

Ó Ya, i am going to tell you fellows. The use? It's only to crash the system
(screensaver and power management) - Thanks God because the Devil took it
away from the system since I went to Kde Control Center and adjusted screensaver
and power management settings.

Some of the Kde widgets make the system to crash. I am afraid of them.

I don't want to look back, so Elyssa 5 was deleted from the hard drive and i hope
the final version will be good like this RC1 (without some annoying bugs).

Congrats Boo

Cheers
Roberto
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dberg918 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:06 am

Is anyone else having issues with sound on Youtube? I'm not getting any sound playing flash videos in either Konqueror or Firefox. My adobe-flashplugin version is 10.0.22.87-2intrepid1.

I was having problems with flash videos not even showing up in Konqueror until I just recently uncommented some repos already listed in the sources.list and upgraded to 4.2.1.
dberg918
Level 2
Level 2

Postby debug on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:31 am

locutus wrote:
debug wrote:Other Bugs -

1) My screen brightness gets reset back to the lowest setting every time I login to the system. The brightness gets reset exactly at the time when the KDE splash shows the desktop being loaded, so I hope that narrows it down a bit.

To force maximum screen briteness as default:
System settings -> power management -> edit profiles -> screen -> move slider to the right.

Ok, I did that. This path leads to the PowerDevil powermanager. it has multiple screen settings for each of the power save scenarios, like aggresive powersave, performance, presentation etc. so I set the brightness to max. for all of them, but a reboot still throws the same dim brightness issue.

Is there some way to remove Powerdevil and use Guidance as my default and only powermanager, and set the brightness settings through it?
debug
Level 1
Level 1

Postby debug on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:37 am

dberg918 wrote:Is anyone else having issues with sound on Youtube? I'm not getting any sound playing flash videos in either Konqueror or Firefox. My adobe-flashplugin version is 10.0.22.87-2intrepid1.

I was having problems with flash videos not even showing up in Konqueror until I just recently uncommented some repos already listed in the sources.list and upgraded to 4.2.1.

The default adobe nonfree-flashplugin that gets installed while doing an upgrade has some bugs, I believe. You need to uninstall it and reinstall it. See the post below for details -

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=22040&p=129312&hilit=flash#p129287
debug
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caris_mere on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:39 am

I haven't yet found any bugs, but I just wanted to say that I've managed to install it onto my HP Mini-Note 2133 with success. Great work on the new release!
caris_mere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby foggytown on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:13 am

debug wrote:Is there some way to remove Powerdevil and use Guidance as my default and only powermanager, and set the brightness settings through it?

I was afraid to try to remove it, but you can disable it from "System Settings/Advanced/Service Manager" by un-ticking PowerDevil.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
--Aldous Huxley
foggytown
Level 3
Level 3

Postby WildSioux on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:10 pm

re: My posted bug about "Monitor not going to suspend/standby" after a set time. It looks like it definately was a bug with KDE 4.2 but has been fixed in KDE 4.2.1 which was released on 3/4/09.

More about the bug here...
http://forum.kde.org/kde-4-2-and-monitor-power-management-problem-t-33697.html

Any idea when this update to 4.2.1 may come to Mint?
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Boo on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:48 pm

KDE 4.2.1 updates should come via the ubuntu backports repo.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby fixerofthings86 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:47 pm

well,

I have a 9600GT nvidia card.
I install the propietary driver (recommended one-177.--)
and reboot.

I get the no screen errors, and a command line prompt...

-----
that being said, this error has happened on every distro ive tried- Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian, Mandriva, Fedora, etc.. The way around this always seems to be
1) install driver
2) open terminal
3) edit my xorg.conf
4) then reboot.

that solves it every time... but perhaps yall might be able to figure out a way for it to correctly write to that file? eitherway on my computer.
RC1 works better- as in faster, easier, etc than the stable Kubuntu!!!!! Mint is awesome, yall are awesome. If i ever actually have money to do things with besides pay bills- ill donate..
fixerofthings86
Level 1
Level 1

Postby saintrock on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:50 pm

Mint 6 KDE is great..though can any one help me activate my desktop effects?? I cant install compiz kde since its dependent with libplasma 2 while mint 6 kde is already libplasma 3...is there anyway that i wont have to downgrade to libplasma 2??
saintrock
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fixerofthings86 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:09 am

saintrock wrote:Mint 6 KDE is great..though can any one help me activate my desktop effects?? I cant install compiz kde since its dependent with libplasma 2 while mint 6 kde is already libplasma 3...is there anyway that i wont have to downgrade to libplasma 2??

I dunno about reverting back to 2, but it seems to me that Kwin, has the same things- like "the cube"
fixerofthings86
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dolf05 on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:13 am

have you installed the compiz-fusion icon using package manager once installed a icon appears on the taskbar settings can be changed from there, it worked for me.
dolf05
Level 1
Level 1

SCREEN RESOLUTION PROBLEM

Postby npap on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:13 am

Congratulations Boo.
Considering that KDE 4 itself is still a bit buggy and the fact that you have inherited some Kununtu KDE 4 problems, this looks like a very good job. :D

Problems
-Mostly screen resolution which reverted back to 800x600 ( old Kubuntu bug I'm afraid ).
Fixed by running sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg.
-Some widgets are sometimes absent on the next reboot ( a KDE4.2 problem )

Question: How can we get the update to KDE4.2.1

Thanks,
npap
Last edited by npap on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements