Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Postby bernado on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:41 am

Envyng doesn't work : :cry: bernado@laptop ~ $ sudo envyng -k :

File "/usr/share/envyng-qt/envyngqt.py", line 886, in <module>
form = EnvyMainDlg()
File "/usr/share/envyng-qt/envyngqt.py", line 290, in __init__
self.abstract = abstraction.Abstraction(widget=self.pbar, text=None)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Envy/abstraction.py", line 39, in __init__
self.driverDetails = self.hardware.selectDriver()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Envy/detection.py", line 248, in selectDriver
if 173 in candidates['nvidia'] and 177 in candidates['nvidia']:
TypeError: list indices must be integers

Bernado
bernado
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

HUGE FONTS PROBLEM

Postby npap on Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:33 pm

OK! Now that I got the resolution fixed, I have a problem with fonts.

I turned on my PC later in the day and to my surprise and dismay I couldn't even log in because of the extremely large fonts which extend beyond the the screen edges.
This has been a problem that has plagued Ubuntu/Kubuntu for years. :(
Here is a link to this bug in the Ubuntu forums:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 04229.html

Any advice will be appreciated.
Npap

Graphics Card: Intel 845

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Boo on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:28 am

@bernado
you can not run a gui with sudo in KDE.
you must use kdesudo (or gtksu).

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

[SOLVED] Compiz Cube Problem..

Postby Reaper29 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:47 pm

For anyone having problems with compiz and not being able to get the cube (alot of people have said that its only 2 sided. There is an easy fix for this.
-Go into synaptic and download "simple-ccsm" and "Compiz Fusion plugins - unsupported collection"
-Once downloaded, go into the KDE Menu and type compiz in the search bar.
-Click on Simple CompizConfig settings Manager.
-Click on the "Desktop" tab.
-Change "Desktop Columns" to "4".

That is it. You now will have the 4 sided Cube, and can now change your desktop/window settings.
Reaper29
Level 1
Level 1

Postby debug on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:52 am

foggytown wrote:
debug wrote:Is there some way to remove Powerdevil and use Guidance as my default and only powermanager, and set the brightness settings through it?

I was afraid to try to remove it, but you can disable it from "System Settings/Advanced/Service Manager" by un-ticking PowerDevil.

Turned off PowerDevil, and it works fine now. The brightness issue does seem to have been caused either because of PowerDevil, or because of both Guidance and PowerDevil trying to act as the default power manager.

@Boo:
Can we have just one power manager available as the default in the final release, and accessible through System Settings? Personally, I feel PowerDevil has more customizable options than Guidance, but I'd rather have a properly working default set than one which causes issues.
debug
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ewelltb on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:25 am

Hi. New to Linux starting with Ubuntu 8.10 (for the last 4 months), but i was able to work my way to Mint. Not bad looking, but ran into a few problems:

-At installation, the panel is installed on bottom by default, which i enjoyed. However, since logging in for the first time, it jumps to the top. Going into the preferences, i try to align it to the "bottom", but once highlighted, it switches to "top". Tried Configuration Editor, but to no avail. Also, any new panels i create do the same thing.

-I can't watch any movies. Any time i try to watch movies, i open Totem or Xine, then immediately it closes. I tried gstreamer-properties to no avail.

I don't want to offend anybody. I hope this would be the right thread. I browsed through this forum as well as Ubuntu forums and didn't find my answer. Any suggestions?

One thing i did find that worked was using Madwifi to fix my wireless internet problem, the same problem seen by Toshiba Laptop Owners.
ewelltb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ewelltb on Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:26 am

By the way, installed using USB and ISO, dualbooting Vista.

Thanks.
ewelltb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dakohli on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:36 pm

Good Day,

First I just want to say that EXCELLENTjob!!!!! I started with Slackware 3.5, eventually migrated to SuSE, then OpenSUSE, and now I'm tired of dealing with codecs, proprietary drivers, etc. I just want things to work without too much fuss.

I loaded up KDE RC1, on a ACER book case system, it found all the drivers right away, prompted me to load the wireless and NVidia proprietaries and now it's up wireless without issue.

At some point though, it lost the time. When I installed it was fine, it still has my correct time zone, but I it's 6 hours out now. (it is now 1935 hrs, but displays 1335 hrs).

When I got into the settings for Time/Date, it will not connect to a time server (error=unable to connect), then says it can't set the time zone and that is it.

This could be a bug with KDE, or it could be me, not knowing how to get root access to change the hardware clock.

comments/suggestions??

Tks much

Dave
dakohli
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bernado on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:32 am

Boo wrote:
@bernado
you can not run a gui with sudo in KDE.
you must use kdesudo (or gtksu).

Doesn't work neither. I even tried the command line version without sucess . First I tried it from the menue, but nothing happened. Can anyone confirm that ?

Bernado
bernado
Level 2
Level 2

Postby roadrash on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 am

I have encountered 3 problems so far using KDE RC1. All the partitions on my hard disk are mounting Ok at startup but I am unable to write to any of them. This turned out to be because my user wasn't in the group "users" or "fuse". Should my user have been in these groups?

RC1 also takes a long time shutting down and then occasionally it will just hang without shutting down the x server and leave the PC powered on & I am still able to see & move the mouse pointer. It does it more often when i am restarting.

The final problem is that I am unable to access the partition with Mint 6 on it from within windows. I have both Mint 5 & Mint 6 on separate partitions & I formatted both with the Ext 3 file system. While I can see & open everything in the partition containing mint 5,using the windows program "Ext2IFS_1_10C", I cannot access the partition containing mint 6. Windows says it is RAW & needs formatting. This is very strange.

Other than this I am slowly starting to like Mint 6 & KDE 4.2.

Sorry I originally reported these bugs in the master kde update thread.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Postby big_dog1968 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:40 am

1. How do you open a file as root? Is that feature gone or is that a bug?
2. I used to be able to right click an iso and select MD5. Is that gone, or a bug?
3. Trouble with the Compiz/KWIN thing. Sometimes, it Compiz is not on at start up even though it is the default. Emerald sometimes off. I can usually get it back, but it is a pain.

PS: Not really a bug, but I play BZFLAG and other 3d games, and need to be able to quickly and temporarily turn of desktop effects, while playing and back on when done, or else it affects game play. What is the easiest way to quickly do this. Also, is there a way to make it so that effects are turned off automatically when I launch a 3d game? That would be cool.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rec9140 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:22 pm

KMail will not start.

Installed from Adept.

Code: Select all

kmail: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN4KPIM8KMeditor16contextMenuEventEP17QContextMenuEvent

This appears to be related to:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=180046
Julep....mixing.....KDE Done right, and minty.
http://www.juleplinux.com

Its been a great 3 year run! Thanks for the fish.. but time for new waters....
rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Rob Brill on Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:29 pm

Hi,

Neither installed from adept manager or Synaptic, Kmail works.

Error: The Kde init could not launch /urs/bin/kmail

It's a Kde 4.2 bug

See

http://www.kde.org/

Kde 4.2.1 released - bugs fixed

cheers
Roberto
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rec9140 on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 pm

Rob Brill wrote:Neither installed from adept manager or Synaptic, Kmail works.

Error: The Kde init could not launch /urs/bin/kmail

It's a Kde 4.2 bug

Just more proof 4.x is not ready for prime time. KMail doesn't work, then RC1 is not ready.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

HUGE LOGIN WINDOW AND FONTS

Postby npap on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:05 am

Hello everybody,
Does anyone have a solution for the huge login fonts? How many people have this problem, I wonder.
One workaround I found for the generally large font problem is to go to the System Settings>appearance>fonts and mark the Force fonts DPI to read 96 DPI..

As for the large login window and fonts, go to System Settings>Advanced>Login manager and on the Convenience tap check the Auto Login option. This is a last resort, I'm afraid. :)

All of these if you manage to get a working desktop of course :)

Cheers,
npap

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: HUGE LOGIN WINDOW AND FONTS

Postby rec9140 on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:26 am

npap wrote:Hello everybody,
Does anyone have a solution for the huge login fonts? How many people have this problem, I wonder.
One workaround I found for the generally large font problem is to go to the System Settings>appearance>fonts and mark the Force fonts DPI to read 96 DPI..

Nope, I gave up. Something when you change resolutions on video screws this up, and short of starting over I've found nothing to correct.

npap wrote:As for the large login window and fonts, go to System Settings>Advanced>Login manager and on the Convenience tap check the Auto Login option. This is a last resort, I'm afraid. :)

Thats not an option. Thats like leaving the key in the front door... NO WAY.

rec9140
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Bagheera on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:14 am

Hello,

-power managment of kde4 on my pc (dell studio1535) don't work: what i choose don't happens
-for choose printer on windows with samba, i don't see button for servers

exscuse for my english
Bagheera
Level 1
Level 1

Re: HUGE LOGIN WINDOW AND FONTS

Postby npap on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:44 am

[quote="npap"]Hello everybody,
As for the large login window and fonts, go to System Settings>Advanced>Login manager and on the Convenience tap check the Auto Login option. This is a last resort, I'm afraid. :)

All of these if you manage to get a working desktop of course :)

Cheers,
npap

Edit
The resolution and font problems keep coming back often even after fixing X in the Recovery Mode.
This is definitely due to the Kubuntu-based remaster. It does not occur in another KDE 4 distribution that is based on Debian.

So , go Debian fellows! :lol:

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby sagasha1 on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Whenever I try to edit Network Settings I get error "Could not parse the XML file ()."
sagasha1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby redseventyseven on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:25 pm

Hi - just trying out the RC for the KDE edition after being a long time Linux Mint Elyssa GNOME user, but have been looking around the various KDE 4 distros to see if I can actually use it. So I have some other implementations of KDE 4 to compare this to (Fedora, OpenSUSE and Mandriva).

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop with an Intel Graphics chipset. Only run the Live DVD so far.

Firstly, the specific plus points where Mint KDE has the upper hand:

GTK app fonts render beautifully - much better than any of the other three distros I tried. This is great as the badly anti-aliased fonts in Firefox are making me tear my hair out in Fedora!

Fn keys (Brightness, etc.) work as they should (they don't in Fedora).

A couple of bugs which don't appear in other distros, graphical glitches really:

Firefox scrollbars don't look right (gtk-qt-engine bug I think)

PulseAudio doesn't appear to be working
redseventyseven
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements