Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 Bug Thread

Postby aviynw on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:36 pm

PulseAudio doesn't appear to be working

Pulseaudio isn't working for me either. I was getting no sound for a while but after fiddling with killing and restarting processes, sound, but not pulseaudio, started working. I can't compare this to the gnome edition since I don't have it installed.
aviynw
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby TerminusEst on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi there,

I use a proxy on my network, but when I try to set the network name of my PC this happens:

Some clue?
TerminusEst
Level 1
Level 1

Postby J-Pro on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:17 pm

First - THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all your efforts. Linux Mint KDE Edition is the best OS I ever saw! Thanks, guys!

Now about the bug... I've just installed a new OS from live CD, restarted and logged in. Everything was fine until I changed the screen resolution from default 800x600 to 1280x960 and pressed apply+save changes, then closed display properties window. The screen(only desktop area) partially disappeared. There left only small part of it(upper left corner), the rest became black. But there still the taskbar left. Moreover, when I pressed "Show the plasma dashboard" link, the menu opened from the right and whole normal desktop area appeared back again. But if only I press "Hide dashboard" - it turned back to small visible area from the left + black rest + taskbar.
I've decided to log off and log on again to test if it makes any changes. I logged off and "log in screen" appeared in screen resolution "800x600". I've entered my password, logged in and resolution has NOT changed to previously set 1280x960. But when I just opened Display settings->screen resolution page - the resolution magically became large as I set before - 1280x960. Repeat: I just opened the dialog, without setting anything there, because there was already selected "1280x960".

That's the only strange thing I've noticed. If I see any more - I'll definitely come back here ;) Thank you very much!
J-Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby WildSioux on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:16 pm

GOOD NEWS, BUG FIXED (monitor suspend bug I had posted about a few pages back) with KDE 4.2.1 update...

Here is how to get that...
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&p=137369#p137369

AWESOME...I just enabled the two ppa repos and installed some 130+ updates (mainly for KDE 4.2.1). Not only is my computer quicker, more responsive, and more stable in KDE (opening apps, copying files, etc...). This 4.2.1 update has FIXED the BUG with the monitor not going to sleep when the screensaver is set to turn on before. Something that hasn't worked since December '08 trying out numerous distro's with KDE 4.1.3 to 4.2.

In my initial tests with just the "System Settings" >> "Display" >> "Power Control" >> "Suspend...30 minutes." (Screensaver is set to turn on after 8 min).

I haven't tried any of the other settings "Standby, or "Power Off." And I also haven't tried this with the "System Settings" >> "Power Management" >> "Let PowerDevil manage screen powersaving" since that too also has the same settings (Standby, Suspend, and Power Off). Currently PowerDevil is checked off in that panel.

But if the Display setting is working, I will stick with it for now. This is the greatest thing to happen since Mint 6 KDE CE RC1 came out a few weeks ago. By far the most stable OS I have tried out of any linux distros.
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby J-Pro on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:16 am

Good afternoon, dear Mint developers.

Today I've faced another problem:

1. I've installed the subject on my ATA IDE 40Gb HDD, used entire disk.
2. Rebooted, installed necessary updates, rebooted again - everything worked fine.
3. Turned off my PC, attached my other 2 HDDs: 320 SATA and 750 SATA.
4. Rebooted, selected to boot from ATA IDE 40Gb HDD, then bootloader appeared, then Linux Mint blue image, then I've got this:

I thought that it's because of my other HDDs just connected, so I've inserted my Mint 6 KDE RC1 DVD and booted from it again. Installed fresh copy to ATA IDE 40Gb HDD, having other two HDDs connected. And after trying to boot from it got the same screenshot.

What's the problem? Is it me or is it your bug? ;) What I need to do to normally work in Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1?

Thank you in advance!
J-Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boo on Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:49 am

@j-pro
i think your problem is a hardware linux boot problem.
I have seen this before and only recently with a mint main install.
hardware is always fun.
so you have ide and sata harddisks and controlers and lots of other busses/devices.
not to mention a bios that is giving you a false sense of security, the first bit of software.
when your computer boots it scans for hardware and discovers it the same way every time.
first you need to set your bios to automaticly choose the ide drive to boot off, and not choose it manually each time (not really important just saves time and can help find some bugs/features).
by the sounds of it your sata drives (ie sata controller) are discovered before your ide drives (ie ide controller). this means that your drives are found/listed as:
sda sata 1
sdb sata 2
sdc ide 1
when you installed though it thought/assumed that your boot drive (ide 1) was sda and set grub to look for the kernel in sda.
the fix is to change your menu.lst to use sdc instead of sda.
to get there though you will have to modify the kernel boot options at the grub screen.
so boot the computer choose your boot disk.
when grub appears press an arrow key( eg the right one) to pause grub.
at the bottom of the screen you will see the boot options so change the sda to sdc (you could also just work your way up alphabetically to make sure. ie sdb, then sdc if that does not work.) hit enter to boot.
now you may also have an ide or sata dvd so this may complicate things, but it should just mean an extra letter to check.
once you are in the DE edit /etc/boot/menu.lst and make the same change to the mint kde boot kernel options.

hope this helps
if it still fails you may want to post your grub screen.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Husse on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:24 am

@ J-Pro (and Boo)
I think your problem is the old gfxgrub problem
Look here
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
I think we have to do something about it....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby aviynw on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:56 pm

I've encountered a bug that makes pure qt(not kde) apps render incorrectly. This also effects gtk apps if you use the qt-gtk-engine to render them which is included in the kde rc. As I understand it this should effect anyone who changes the default color scheme. This bug has already been reported to kde here http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=168200#c16 . It's a qt bug rather than a kde one and Qt 4.5 fixes this issue. Comment #16 in the provided link provides a patch for qt 4.4.3(the version the kde rc uses) that fixes this issue. Can this bug be fixed for the kde mint edition?
thanks.

Also, is anyone else having this problem? I suppose with certain themes the effects might be small, but with my dark theme the effects are VERY annoying.
aviynw
Level 1
Level 1

Postby J-Pro on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:12 pm

Boo, Husse, thanks for your answers!

Boo wrote:first you need to set your bios to automaticly choose the ide drive to boot off, and not choose it manually each time (not really important just saves time and can help find some bugs/features).
Generally, I have Vista installed on my 320Gb SATA HDD and don't want Linux make any changes in it's MBR (just as much as don't want Vista to make any changes to Linux's 40Gb ATA HDD). My idea was to make its own HDD(with it's MBR) for each OS and select what to boot via Boot menu. I didn't want any of OSes to know anything about eachother. It's easier to maintain them. I could have had: Vista boots by default from 320Gb SATA HDD and Mint boots only after I manually press F8(on my motherboard) and select it's 40Gb ATA HDD to boot from. But something is wrong here :)

Boo wrote:by the sounds of it your sata drives (ie sata controller) are discovered before your ide drives
You know, when I connected my SATAs after installation and faced the problem - I've assumed that the problem can be the order of disks or something. But one thing surprised me: how it can START loading the system(showing blue logo) and load BusyBox if he can't locate proper disk to boot from? I mean - it loads something, it loads BusyBox, but then can't find some other files... Where did it get the ones it already loaded from??

And one more thing: I assume that if I install Linux Mint with NOT changing any of hardware before, during and after install, it should ALWAYS load fine. It was very strange for me that it didn't load even after I reinstalled it with all HDDs connected. I think it should have analyzed all the hardware I have and order of HDDs I have. Just IMHO.

About your solution - thank you again, I'm just going to reboot now and apply it. Will edit my post with the result.

ADDED: Thanks, Boo, your solution helped. I just changed sda to sdc and it booted with no problems. Then I changed menu.lst in Root/Boot folder (there are no boot folder in etc somewhy... But I remember that it was there when I used Mint 5 with Gnome). Thank you very much!

P.S.: Thank you again for maintaining and keeping developing Linux Mint KDE. It's really great, honestly.
J-Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby J-Pro on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:05 pm

About the graphical bug with desctop area which I noticed above... I found out that it can be reproduced without changing the resolution. After about 30 minutes of setting up Thunderbird accounts, googling and browsing in Firefox, I've decided to make my taskbar smaller. I pressed the link on the right of it and config window opened. I've set needed width, checked align buttons - just to see what are they for and pushed the cross button to close config window.Then when I closed firefox I saw this: Image
After some paint program window restore-minimize play I've got this: Image

Sorry for photos, I can't make screenshots in Linux yet ;) I'm still a newbie there :)

I hope you'll fix this strange bug in next releases... And I hope that it's not my hardware... Thanks.
J-Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Device Notifier

Postby big_dog1968 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:24 am

The Device Notifier stays open after media is removed. You have to minimize whatever is open and click on the desk top to make it go away once it opens. I like the pop up when I plug in a flash drive or whatever, but it is annoying to have to show the desk top to make the window go away. Is there a fix?
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Kio_thumbnailrc not writable?

Postby big_dog1968 on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:54 pm

This is coming up every time I save an image. What do I do?
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby walmartshopper67 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:13 am

Hey guys, I love linuxmint, great job, here is a bug i've found right out of the box: mintUpdate will not start, at all. Running from the command line gives me the output below, long story short it's a segfault:

No protocol specified
/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72: GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: Warning: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
statusIcon = gtk.StatusIcon()
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: Warning: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: Screen for GtkWindow not set; you must always set
a screen for a GtkWindow before using the window
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: _gdk_window_new: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: gdk_screen_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: gdk_display_sync: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: gdk_drawable_get_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: gdk_x11_get_xatom_by_name_for_display: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: /build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.14.4/gdk/x11/gdkdrawable-x11.c:878 drawable is not a pixmap or window
/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py:1205: GtkWarning: gdk_x11_display_get_xdisplay: assertion `GDK_IS_DISPLAY (display)' failed
Segmentation Fault

Thanks guys, great work, and let me know if i can help any further.
walmartshopper67
Level 1
Level 1

Postby caris_mere on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:36 am

I'm having audio problems. Here's the scenario.

1. Listening to Amarok.
2. Pause and then watch a video on Firefox.
3. No sound on Firefox.
4. Stop Amarok, no change in Firefox
5. Close Amarok, no change in Firefox
6. Restart Firefox, still no change.

I haven't tested other scenarios, but that is one that happens consistently.
caris_mere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby caris_mere on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:03 am

I now tried using VLC while amarok was open (but not being used). It didn't have sound either. Seems like if amarok is opened, nothing else gets sound.
caris_mere
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kosmonaut on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:56 am

Nice work! Just installed it some minutes ago. Good work

Major trouble:I have some troubles with strig-desktop search. Seems to be a kubuntu bug. Solution http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1071376.html should be implemented in LMKDE6.
Hardwaredriver-menu pops up, but i can't choose anything. When I reopen it, then it works as it should. This should be fixed. The mintupdater wants to update my Spanish Russian Chinese and Italian language.pack...ehmm..I dont how on earth this prog. wants me to update thoses languages. Just need german/english :roll:. My iwl13945 wasn't able to find all wlan-access points. I had to update my kernel -level5 update- to so. After that I was able to see all APs. And iwl13945 won't start after a suspend to ram. Have to "rmod/modprobe" the module so that i re-works. But this seems to be a ubuntu-problem.

Minor trouble:Boot-logo is far to big ;-) smaller is beautiful / Default desktop: Missing(!!) desktop-switcher -this is an important feature/ The look'n'feel is 100% kubuntu-like: the panel is in my eyes too empty->Dolphin;Konqueror;Mailprog should be enabled by default...yeah this is a personal wish ;-). And a LMKDE background should be used like http://www.linuxmint-art.org/content/show.php/Hovering+Mint?content=81909

I'll make some more testing today...C'ya
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jay514 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:22 pm

Issues;
#1 Grub Boot Disk version seems to be diffrent than LinMint6Fleicia & or Kubuntu.Of witch I have both OS installed on an SATA HD Dual boot SYS , AS well AS Win XP.When I try to install LinMint6KDE-RC1 to HD with the other linux installs present , the Grub Deletes the other LinuxOSs GrubBoot.Tried Super Grub Disk,Dont work. LinMint6KDE-RC1 will install & Run Great to HD as long as no other LinuxOS is present.
So Re-installed other Linux OSs (linMint6Fleicia & Kubuntu) to HD & Installed DVD Image to 2Gb Flash Drive.

#2 The Nvidia resolutions cant be made sticky,Ive tried the Wiki Solution but it dosent seem to work on
In ignore #2 Fixed it ,Installed the New Realease but #1Grub Changed again & Had to use SUPERGRUB DISK to fix the new Install.

Thanks for the nice Distro,I will use it as my default if these issues
pan out.I like this better than Kubuntu.
Thanks Clem,BOO & All
Last edited by Jay514 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu
Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kosmonaut on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi!
Maybe someone can confirm this: on my installed system libk3b3-extracodecs was missing,so no mp3 could be burned with k3b.
Yours
K.
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kosmonaut on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:32 pm

Oh and an other thing: on a installed system mintinstall.py undertitle ".hidden/mintinstall.py.desktop" is shown when I look for mint "apps" in the kde start search thing, but without a mint-logo.
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kosmonaut on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:38 pm

Amarok doesn't crossfade between songs, but fades song out when song is stoped. Can this be confirmed?

Edit: I took a look at http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/809-Missing-features-in-Amarok-2.html. Meaning that this feature is missing in amarok2 not only in LMKDE.
Last edited by kosmonaut on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
kosmonaut
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements