Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE RC1 released!

Postby 93jam on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:32 am

Great Job! Mint 6 Kde RC1 is probably the best looking and best performance wise I have used. The only problem I had, was it wouldn't recognize any partitions. It just saw it as one partition. Other than that, no tweaking was needed to get everything running. Thanks to the whole team and I can't wait for the final release!
93jam
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby phoenixrising on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:45 pm

deki999 wrote:
phoenixrising wrote:
1. Firefox isn't looking its best. I may daresay openSUSE's KDE Firefox looks better...

This is so, so, so true !
I tried to change it with some themes, but zero results.
Very irritating...very, very...

Well, this theme here http://ramonantonio.net/kde-firefox/ worked for me... :D :)
Intel Core i7 920 with 3 GB RAM | Intel DX58SO Mainboard (Onboard Realtek/Intel HD sound) | Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 Toxic 1GB | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
phoenixrising
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fixerofthings86 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:27 pm

well, its been over a week, but what can i say, given how awesome the RC1 is, the stable will be worth the wait.

keep up the good work folk!
fixerofthings86
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Shadowriser on Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:12 pm

I tested OpenSuSE KDE x64 while I waited for KDE Mint to be in stable version. I have to say Mint has spoiled me in the last few months on having all the codec installed and working by default. OpenSuSe when Totem tried to auto find codecs tried to send me to a site to PAY for codecs!

I will stick with either Mint KDE or Gnomex64 please keep up the good work!
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz
ASRock M3A785GMH
OCZ Vertex 32 GB boot drive
ATI 5770 (WTB better drivers)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3
Shadowriser
Level 1
Level 1

Postby spenny1 on Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:37 pm

hey guys, i just wanted to say that mint 6 kde looks outstanding. I've been using linux on and off for a about a year and a half now but never seem to land on a distro that i like most things about and always end up going back to ubuntu. I decided to check mint out after it was included on a magazine cover DVD, it was gnome and straightaway it felt a lot more polished and less brown than ubuntu (which is still a great distro and a fantastic base for mint). I wanted to see what mint would be like with a kde flavour and i've got to say that it looks stunning and i can't wait for the stable release. I've finally found a distro i love and i'm even looking at moving to kde for a while since this rc came along. So keep up the great work guys, i'm looking forward to see whats next. Cheers
spenny1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Nathan P on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Few issues

-Nvidia driver seems kind of old
-Firefox isn't looking so great, alot of search boxes and stuff don't render right, along with the firefox toolbars, tabs etc having alot of untidy stuff going on.
-The KDM login screen shows your full name and your user name in an awkward white box that doesn't blend well with anything. Showing just one or the other or even separating them or something would go a long way to fix this.
-Seems a bit sluggish compared to other KDE4 releases I've tried, but maybe that's just me.

Overall pretty good, when's the final going to be here? Previous post said two weeks ago :(

Nathan
Nathan P
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:38 am

Two weeks testing, more if needed, and then the final be made
I know this is late but the KDE4 "experiment" takes it's tolls
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Totally Infected on Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:53 am

Just wondering, is the 9.04 beta being fiddled with alongside preparation of the intrepid-based KDE Mint 6 final release? just realized that the Mint 6 KDE final release will be only about a week or two before the Kubuntu 9.04 final release.

What are the thoughts on the KDE 4 learning curve; will the development time be able to return to previous kubuntu ->> Mint KDE offsets?

this is no way criticism, just me being curious.
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:19 am

No no "fiddling" I think but of course we are curious and the lessons from KDE 4 are very mixed as you can see in this topic
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Nathan P on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:14 pm

Okay, one more irritance. I can't find a way to turn "tap" clicking off on my trackpad. It's a synaptics, a very common laptop trackpad. Additionally, when using the scrollbar on the side of the trackbar, if I touch too close to the top right corner above the trackpad it tries to use whatever's on the clipboard as an web address, which is highly irritating when I'm halfway through scrolling down a long page. Oddly enough, if I highlight something in the page without copying it and do it, it tries to go to that location. For example, if I type "google" and highlight it, then click the top corner, it will go to google. Very strange.
Nathan P
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Nathan P on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:31 pm

Just a heads up, the default Firefox spell checker is British English. Not sure how to change it.
Nathan P
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:38 am

Nathan P wrote:Just a heads up, the default Firefox spell checker is British English. Not sure how to change it.

It follows the locale you installed with at first, but you can download more languages for the FF spellchecker - it's a FF thing
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby nickt1862 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:22 pm

No font adjustment for the panel clock and no date format adjustments whatsoever and seems to be very restrictive in many other apps as well as also speed sluggish in all my 5 computers.
Unless there's a solution to these that I'm totally unaware of and if so I stand to be corrected.
nickt1862
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:39 am

Nathan P wrote:Oddly enough, if I highlight something in the page without copying it and do it, it tries to go to that location. For example, if I type "google" and highlight it, then click the top corner, it will go to google. Very strange.

Believe it or not, this is a feature, the corner of the touchpad is acting like a middle-click, which I've just discovered works on mine too (used it for 2 yrs, never found that, but I prefer a mouse). The middle-click in linux is used for pasting whatever you just highlighted with the mouse (massive timesaver for cross-application data sharing) and in this case, FF is set up to try to find a web address on paste, then searching with google if none found (another massive timesaver: highlight an un-linked web address with left click, then middle click!) Unfortunately, I have no idea how to disable it.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Nathan P on Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:27 pm

Personally I'd just like to figure out how to disable clicking on the touchpad in general, I never use it and also when my hands brush the touchpad while typing it's rather irritating (random text gets dragged or erased or moved or typed in the middle of things...) but I can't find any control panel for the touchpad.

Nathan
Nathan P
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mararual on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:33 am

Hey Nathan,

I used this command to disable touchpad while typing.

Code: Select all
syndaemon -d -t -i 2

It will disable your touchpad while you type and 2 more seconds after your last key press. Pretty useful.

Add it to you Session, by going to Menu -> Preferences -> Sessions, and create a new command for it. Call it disable touchpad or something like that.

Cheers
mararual
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Nathan P on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Where do you find this menu-preferences-sessions? It's not in the kmenu.

Personally I'd prefer just to turn the stupid thing off. Tapping is way too inconsistent for my use anyways.
Nathan P
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mararual on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:51 pm

Oh sorry, that menu item is for GNome, but KDE should have something similar, like start up programs or something like that.
mararual
Level 1
Level 1

Postby b727plane on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:31 pm

I know this question has been asked before but can there be a CD version of Linux Mint CE? I have several people on Linux Mint and I also have it installed on a PC but prefer a CD version as opposed to DVD. Not all older machines can run DVD's. PClinuxOS can run on a CD why can't Linux Mint? Thank you. Just in case you ask, no, I prefer Linux Mint.
b727plane
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements