Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Postby mikesol on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:45 pm

Hello,

This release is for 32 or 64 bits?

Thanks
Sorry for my bad English
mikesol
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby WildSioux on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:23 pm

big_dog1968 wrote:I did it and it didn't show the upgrade package. I used Synaptic to install the mint-meta-kde package, and then went back to Mint Update and tried again, but it still didn't list any distribution upgrade package or any package. It just said I was up to date. I am sure I haven't done this upgrade already, because the "dist upgrade" box was previously unchecked.

I did the same thing you did through synaptic and checked the "dist-upgrade box in mintupdate. Refreshed, but it said my system is up to date (Mint6 KDE RC1). So I rebooted my computer and now I am unable to get past the login screen. I enter my password and it acts like it is going to login, flashes the mouse wait cursor, black/blank screen then back to the longin prompt. I tried everything, shutdown and did a restart from off...nothing. Tried the failsafe boot in grub...still nothing.

I am currently searching these forums of how to get past the login screen.

Also, when I installed the "mint-meta-kde" package in synaptic it also installed some mint artwork for KDE. Now when I get the GRUB option menu to choose Mint6, Mint6 failsafe, Memtest, or XP the Mint logo and the Help text is "GREEN." Now I know this is Mint and it is green. But I actually prefer the blue which the RC1 HAD. How to change...errr, for now I will be happy just to get past the login screen.

Darn, does this mean I have to boot in to XP and download the Mint6 ISO and do a fresh install. I have almost forgot that I even had XP on the other partition. Mint6 KDE is that GOOD!!!
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby big_dog1968 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:39 pm

WildSioux wrote:
big_dog1968 wrote:I did it and it didn't show the upgrade package. I used Synaptic to install the mint-meta-kde package, and then went back to Mint Update and tried again, but it still didn't list any distribution upgrade package or any package. It just said I was up to date. I am sure I haven't done this upgrade already, because the "dist upgrade" box was previously unchecked.

I did the same thing you did through synaptic and checked the "dist-upgrade box in mintupdate. Refreshed, but it said my system is up to date (Mint6 KDE RC1). So I rebooted my computer and now I am unable to get past the login screen. I enter my password and it acts like it is going to login, flashes the mouse wait cursor, black/blank screen then back to the longin prompt. I tried everything, shutdown and did a restart from off...nothing. Tried the failsafe boot in grub...still nothing.

I am currently searching these forums of how to get past the login screen.

Also, when I installed the "mint-meta-kde" package in synaptic it also installed some mint artwork for KDE. Now when I get the GRUB option menu to choose Mint6, Mint6 failsafe, Memtest, or XP the Mint logo and the Help text is "GREEN." Now I know this is Mint and it is green. But I actually prefer the blue which the RC1 HAD. How to change...errr, for now I will be happy just to get past the login screen.

Darn, does this mean I have to boot in to XP and download the Mint6 ISO and do a fresh install. I have almost forgot that I even had XP on the other partition. Mint6 KDE is that GOOD!!!

Same thing happened when I rebooted. I had to log into the console and then type startx. No password reset was necessary for me.

Obviously something went wrong. If what we did was not what the instructions called for then someone needs to change the documentation, because it sure looked to me like we did what it said.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby hoppy785 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:45 pm

i agree with the posters above... the upgrade instructions seem to have broke my login as well as change the grub icons to green... please help us, i dont want to have to reinstall my system.
hoppy785
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jay514 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 pm

Clem , thanks for the reply. Boo & all who worked on this Distro Thanks. I've been running the RC1 Release & had A few Probs with it, so I wiped it from my HD & installed this release , a little hard on a dual boot Install , But this Nubie got it running & so far so good.
Really nice features, thanks to All again ! :mrgreen:
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu
Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Postby billmoseley on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:39 pm

I can't get past the login screen either. Oddly, if I log in from the CLI, I can use "startx" to get into a GUI, but it looks like Ubuntu, not Mint, and Gnome, definitely not KDE. I have the same toolbars at the top and bottom as Ubuntu and even the Ubuntu logo. Like others, I'd rather not have to do a reinstall, if at all possible. Please help ASAP. Thanks.
billmoseley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rob Brill on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:19 am

dmk62 wrote:Hi

Boo did you include the key for the amarok 2 ppa ? ppa for kde 4 works fine but error that the key is not available for the amarok ppa.

Thanks

Dale

Hi,

The same for me

Apt-get update does not solve it (amarok ppa) - locked.
Synaptic even

I did a clean install and upgraded to KDE 4.2.2 -
Kick off start menu still remains bugged

Roberto
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:57 am

Boo posted this
(We) need to have the dist-upgrade removed from the upgrade from RC instructions.
It breaks kdm.
this would be due to the ppa repo not being enabled.

I've just glanced through the posts, but it seems this may be the problem
The instructions will shortly be changed
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Paul_Vandenberg on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:16 am

I was able to recover from the broken login screen by going to the command line (hitting Ctl-Alt-F1) and removing kdm with the purge option 'sudo apt-get remove kdm --purge'. I then reinstalled kdm with 'sudo apt-get install kdm' Seems to work OK after that.

Paul
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Postby WildSioux on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12 am

Rob Brill wrote:I did a clean install and upgraded to KDE 4.2.2 -
Kick off start menu still remains bugged

Roberto

I also did a clean install after having the login problems trying to upgrade from the RC1. Yes, the Kickoff menu is still bugged in the 4.2.2 from ppa repos. Meaning it stays open, and am unable to type unless you click on the text box to search for programs.

Also, I have noticed that the OO splash screen is the ugly Sun/ubuntu one. In the RC1, it actually had mint artwork.

++ There seems to be a lot of programs installed by default in the Mint 6 KDE final. Envy, compiz, a TON of language packs that I don't need, and a few other programs that weren't previously installed in the RC1. I would prefer those to not be installed by default. No big deal as I can just uninstall them in synaptic. But something to note.

There was also a pop-up when KDE first ran saying something about a database. Nepomuk??? I don't need a database installed on my computer.

As for the language packs, how come they are installed if I choose English as default in the install steps. I don't need all of the others.

Other than these problems, so far so good. Good job and thanks to the team for the best KDE 4 distro.
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby csat on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks, Clem.

I've installed it to my HD partition and was facing some troubles to configure static IP. When I tried to use Graphical network settings I was getting "Error System Setting - Could not parse XML file()." Reading more from this forum I found a way to configure it editing /etc/network/interfaces. This problem is the only one I faced so far. :D

CSAT
Cheers
csat
csat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cgeorge on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:36 am

I have attempted to downloaded the new *-KDE edition 3 times into my Desktop which has over 4 GB free. Each time it gets to 100% down load an error flag is posted that " --the *.iso could not be saved because an unknown error occurred". When I check my Desktop % free space (during the first download), it continuously goes down as the download goes up until the 100% download point is reached. At that point the Desktop free space resets to what it was when I started. In other words, not even part of the download is saved.

Can anyone help me with this problem? Thanks,
cgeorge
cgeorge
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kenetics on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:02 am

Three of our members have reported that the automatic boot from the live CD resulted in a screen that was two-thirds pink and a third with a gray or blue pattern and it stopped loading at that point. (One person was using a different distro with KDE4.) The work around was to hit the space bar as it was booting and select "compatibility mode" from the menu. It had bypassed this menu the first time. Other than that small issue, Mint 6 KDE has been well received. :D
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dafi on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:26 am

WildSioux wrote:In the RC1, it actually had mint artwork.

++ There seems to be a lot of programs installed by default in the Mint 6 KDE final. Envy, compiz, a TON of language packs that I don't need, and a few other programs that weren't previously installed in the RC1. I would prefer those to not be installed by default. No big deal as I can just uninstall them in synaptic. But something to note.

There was also a pop-up when KDE first ran saying something about a database. Nepomuk??? I don't need a database installed on my computer.

As for the language packs, how come they are installed if I choose English as default in the install steps. I don't need all of the others.

The language packs were also installed at the RC1, to me its kind of rubbish to have spanish, japanese, chinese, russian, german and don't know what else language packs installed, then i click "set as system language" and the installer tells me that the language packs are not completely installed. And goes on installing updates to spanish, japanese, chinese.....
Now i'm deinstalling all those language packs...

The database which was started could be akonadi.

Do i need compiz if i enable the kde-desktop-effects?? Or could i just deinstall it?

I hope the mint-artwork could be downloaded at the mint-artwork-repository. I have to check that. The loginsplash is gone. Thats bad :-(
dafi
Level 1
Level 1

Postby john1 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:21 pm

Great distro as always from Mint

just a question: why is Open Office at version 2.4??

How to upgrade it to 3.01?

regards

john
john1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:35 pm

why is Open Office at version 2.4??

Ubuntu repos ....
We still depend too much on Ubuntu
Upgrading is no simple procedure if my memory serves me right - it is described somewhere in the forum or the blog
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby WildSioux on Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:14 pm

Husse wrote:
why is Open Office at version 2.4??

Ubuntu repos ....
We still depend too much on Ubuntu
Upgrading is no simple procedure if my memory serves me right - it is described somewhere in the forum or the blog

It is actually quite easy...find the instructions here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=18690

I just used Synaptic to enable that ppa, refreshed and closed it. Then opened up mintupdate and refreshed it. It found the OO 3.01 update and installed it.

I am still wondering what happened to the OO Mint splash screen in the 2.4 that was seen in the RC1? No big deal as I have changed it to a mint one I found for it as well as Gimp. But someone needs to work on a Mint KDE splash screen for programs that have one.

Also, no mint boot screens that were found in the RC.
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Steely on Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:24 pm

Hi

The issue with the kde menu remaining open is also on the kubuntu jaunty beta with kde 4.2.2 so chances are it's a KDE bug and not specific to the distro. The KDE updates are released on a monthly schedule so hopefully that will be addressed in 4.2.3.

Nepomuk is used to manage metadata etc and is an integral part of KDE 4. The indexer strigi has been disabled by default in the final release and can be found in System Setting > Advanced > Desktop Search.

The past mint kde releases have had a lot of extra software compared to the other mint releases ( excluding the mini-iso version of mint kde ). Although I don't use all the included applications it has been nice to see some of them included that were difficult at best to get functioning properly under kubuntu. As mentioned, they can always be removed.

Dale
Steely
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Boo on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:58 pm

if you upgrade OO or gimp or anything with a mint splash screen, the mint splash screen will be over written.
ie upgrade replaces the splashes with the default.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby clem on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:17 am

The upgrade instructions from RC1 to stable were updated. We forgot to mention that the the PPA repositories had to be enabled. Apologies for the incovenience. If you removed any package by mistake, it can be corrected by reinstalling mint-meta-kde.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements