Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 6 KDE released!

Postby arjay on Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:36 am

Help!

I installed the final release which installed 4.2.0. This has loads of problems, not least that knetwork manager crashes. I know I have to enable ppa repos and update/upgrade to get 4.2.1 or 4.2.2. The question is how? Like, where are these mythical ppa repos for Mint 6 kde (or compatible *buntu version)? I have googled for ages, read nearly every page of these threads but cannot find current upgrade info.

Could someone help please!
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:07 am

It's a bit of a situation we're having here... the difference between RC1 and Stable is minimal and could be ignored... but to actually upgrade to Stable you need these PPA repositories and since our release KDE 4.2.2 was included in them...

So we're looking at a lot of risks to actually upgrade and fix almost nothing. I'll update the release notes again. My advice is to stick to what you have with RC1, which can be considered stable, or to make the full jump to KDE 4.2.2, which of course represents a risk.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby arjay on Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:18 am

Clem - thanks for prompt reply. I downloaded what I thought was Stable yesterday - not RC1. This still gave me only 4.2.0??

kde 4.2.0 is unusable for me as I must have static network connections for my network. Since knetwork manager is broken in 4.2.0 I tried setting up static address manually. Changes to interfaces work fine but knetwork manager, although broken, is still able to successfully overwrite DNS entries in resolv.conf - also necessary on my system.

Therefore I need to update to at least 4.2.1 to get the working copy of KNetwork Manager.

BTW even if I wanted to upgrade I still can't find the notes to setup ppas etc - do you have a link? Presumably there is no point in doing a straightforward dist-upgrade with the default repos?

Regards

RJ
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Boo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:09 am

to enable the KDE ppa repository you can use the gui way and open synaptic in the system menu group.
setup --> repositories
then tick the box (near the bottom) saying ppa experimental kde4.
appy, and update or exit and use mint update.

or you can edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list and uncomment the ppa experimental kde4 line near the bottom.
save and exit.
then use mint update.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Postby arjay on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:26 am

Many thanks Boo - I'll give it a try.

RJ
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby WildSioux on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:28 am

@ Boo:

What is the deal with the screen jumping after logging in? I type my password in at the KDE login screen, then get the KDE splash screen with the bubbles in the background. And it jumps up and down every few seconds. Anyone else notice this?

I am going to change that splash screen to a mint one anyways. But I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a widescreen splash???
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Kold Foot on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:23 pm

Overall, nice job Boo. Why is there not a uninstall option when I right click on a menu item like there is in the Gnome version? That is one feature I was really looking forward to. Also, I don't have a Mint Splash Screen options in the splash screen settings, I loved my Black Mint Splash Screen.

Kold Foot
Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby WildSioux on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:26 pm

I just found a bug (KDE issue) with the KDE printer configuration app stopped working. Found in System Settings >> Advanced >> Printer Configuration.

Same bug for Jaunty reported...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdeadmin-kde4/+bug/331192

I tried reinstalling python-qt4-dbus but that didn't work.
WildSioux
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gethoht on Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:57 am

dmk62 wrote:Hi

Boo did you include the key for the amarok 2 ppa ? ppa for kde 4 works fine but error that the key is not available for the amarok ppa.

Thanks

Dale

I'm getting the same error...

How can i download and install that gpg key for that ppa so that apt, synaptic etc... can use it?

Thanks!
gethoht
Level 1
Level 1

Postby arjay on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:11 am

csat wrote:Thanks, Clem.

I've installed it to my HD partition and was facing some troubles to configure static IP. When I tried to use Graphical network settings I was getting "Error System Setting - Could not parse XML file()." Reading more from this forum I found a way to configure it editing /etc/network/interfaces. This problem is the only one I faced so far. :D

CSAT

For me, upgrading to 4.2.2 gave a working version of knetwork manager. But still no static ip address. I have tried creating one in KNM but it still defaults to DCHP. Tried creating static address by modifying /etc/network/interfaces file. This is OK but I need DNS as well. If I put these in /etc/resolv.conf. they are overwritten each boot by knetwork manager. Well known problem, is this.

Beginning to think "Is it all worth it?" I love Mint and am a die-hard KDE user but what is the advantage of 4.2 over 3.5.10 - big enough to warrant the steep learning curve for a completely new desktop. What can it do that 3.5.10 can't? Not much as far as I can see and still so many things that don't work properly or are missing. IMO a PITA really. I reckon Gnome must be laughing up their sleeves at this :evil:
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby big_dog1968 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:32 am

gethoht wrote:
dmk62 wrote:Hi

Boo did you include the key for the amarok 2 ppa ? ppa for kde 4 works fine but error that the key is not available for the amarok ppa.

Thanks

Dale

I'm getting the same error...

How can i download and install that gpg key for that ppa so that apt, synaptic etc... can use it?

Thanks!

I am getting a couple of these errors:
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 9423A34CCA967634
W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net intrepid Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 60D11217247D1CFF

PS: Happy Easter!
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby changturkey on Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:20 pm

arjay wrote:
csat wrote:Thanks, Clem.

I've installed it to my HD partition and was facing some troubles to configure static IP. When I tried to use Graphical network settings I was getting "Error System Setting - Could not parse XML file()." Reading more from this forum I found a way to configure it editing /etc/network/interfaces. This problem is the only one I faced so far. :D

CSAT

For me, upgrading to 4.2.2 gave a working version of knetwork manager. But still no static ip address. I have tried creating one in KNM but it still defaults to DCHP. Tried creating static address by modifying /etc/network/interfaces file. This is OK but I need DNS as well. If I put these in /etc/resolv.conf. they are overwritten each boot by knetwork manager. Well known problem, is this.

Beginning to think "Is it all worth it?" I love Mint and am a die-hard KDE user but what is the advantage of 4.2 over 3.5.10 - big enough to warrant the steep learning curve for a completely new desktop. What can it do that 3.5.10 can't? Not much as far as I can see and still so many things that don't work properly or are missing. IMO a PITA really. I reckon Gnome must be laughing up their sleeves at this :evil:

I really don't think KDE4 will be truly usable till 4.3/4.4. This is coming from someone who likes KDE.
changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby arjay on Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:33 pm

I reckon you are right about usability. But I have a slightly different point. Even when it is working reliably, what advantage will kde 4 have over 3.5? It doesn't seem any faster (at the moment just the opposite). 3.5.10 with Compiz etc has as much eye candy as most people could wish for. I have searched the internet for a decent comparison of the two, or for a list of advantages etc without finding much. So, again, what do users think the advantages are, or will be? :?

RJ
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby khunrut on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:40 am

kenetics wrote:Three of our members have reported that the automatic boot from the live CD resulted in a screen that was two-thirds pink and a third with a gray or blue pattern and it stopped loading at that point. (One person was using a different distro with KDE4.) The work around was to hit the space bar as it was booting and select "compatibility mode" from the menu. It had bypassed this menu the first time. Other than that small issue, Mint 6 KDE has been well received. :D

Same happened to me hitting ctrl-alt-bksp took me to the splash screen.

Any new word on the static ip address issue would not let me use static ip in live cd mode. I could enter and save but the connection showed as "unmanaged" in taskbar. Other posts in this thread show problems with static addressing on install. I want to make sure I can use static address before I install. Other than that worked pretty nice in Live CD mode.
khunrut
Level 1
Level 1

Postby globetrotterdk on Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:33 am

I can't get past the first line that states "ISOLINUX" I get a blinking cursor on the next line. I am using an IBM ThinkCentre A50p. DVD boots fine on a Dell laptop. I don't get it. This wasn't a problem with RC1.
Acer Aspire One 725.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
globetrotterdk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby arjay on Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:00 am

khunrut wrote:
kenetics wrote:
Any new word on the static ip address issue? It would not let me use static ip in live cd mode. I could enter and save but the connection showed as "unmanaged" in taskbar. Other posts in this thread show problems with static addressing on install. I want to make sure I can use static address before I install. Other than that worked pretty nice in Live CD mode.

I have finally managed to get a static ip address for wired Internet - even if dns numbers are required. I edited the interfaces file, using sudo kate, deleted everything that was there and added the following (enter your own numbers of course!):

Code: Select all
 auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
allow-hotplug eth0

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.99
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
broadcast 192.168.1.255
dns-nameservers 80.58.0.33 80.58.32.97

auto eth0

The trick is to add the dns here, not in resolv.conf, using dns-nameservers as per the code above. If you enter them in resolv.conf they will just get over-writtten by knetwork manager.

As you say, the network manager icon then shows eth0 as being "unmanaged" but this does not affect performance at all. If you use the above code and then enter ifconfig in a terminal, you should see the changes you want. You might need to log out/in again or reboot to make sure.

Hope this helps someone.

RJ
arjay
Level 4
Level 4

Postby arbocorp on Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:15 pm

I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post but I'm hoping someone will point me in the right direction. Well, I installed KDE CE edition as a fresh install on my test sata notebook drive. I really like how refined the KDE desktop LOOKS as opposed to the Gnome version. Here are my initial findings so far.

I noticed during partition phase the install has improved from the beta version BUT it is not as gui friendly or as sleek looking as the Gnome version; HOWEVER, it WORKED while the beta gave me one error after another.

Like the Gnome version, the KDE suggested a third party video driver and installed it without a hitch. The desktop affects THEN turned on automatically, very nice. Oh, the ART Work is really NICE, up to par with the mainstream.

I like the install manager and how you can search other repositories other than Linux Mint and install them on the spot.

What I had the MOST trouble with was the wireless networking. The Gnome version instantly picked up my wireless router and I can install it in seconds. The KDE version picked it once then couldn't "see" it for the longest time. I'm not sure what I did, IF I did anything. I tried to install other Wi-Fi utilities so I'm not sure if what I did worked or if the Network Manager worked after I restarted it. That was the most frustrating thing of all.

Oh, one more thing. In the Gnome version of Linux Mint, I can't watch flash videos from start to finish within Firefox. I can start it but it will eventually stop and won't work if I refresh it. However, in the KDE version, I've been able to watch a full flash video from CNET, ie iPhone rumors/updates. What is KDE doing that Gnome isn't?

thanks!!
arbocorp
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Nathan P on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:38 pm

Seems real solid, here's a few things I'd like to see

The option to create a "shared" partition for multiple distros in the installer. I have never seen this but I'd still like to see it :) Just something with open read/write privileges that all users can see.

Firefox still doesn't look it's best, both in the GUI and in how it displays some websites. checkboxes and stuff often render incorrectly.

Restarting shouldn't be necessary for initiating the nvidia drivers, I ended up installing from synaptic and doing nvidia-xconfig, then crl-alt-backspace and it was in. (Installed the wrong version with the tool and wanted to make sure it got removed completely)

Wireless is slow to pick up networks at times but overall works fine.

Support for the digital audio out found on many notebooks would be nice. Also support for programming in the acpi controlled extra buttons would be nice. Preinstalled support for configuring the synaptics touchpad found in 90% of laptops out there would be cool too :)

Nathan
Nathan P
Level 1
Level 1

Postby globetrotterdk on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:06 am

I did a clean install on my IBM ThinkPad T60, to give KDE a spin. I get the following error with KMail:

$ kmail
kmail: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN4KPIM8KMeditor16contextMenuEventEP17QContextMenuEvent

KMail refuses to start.

I am a total newbie with KDE - can anyone tell me what KMail, KWrite, etc. use for spell checking? Aspell, Ispell, or something else?

Cheers
Acer Aspire One 725.
Military justice is to justice what military music is to music. - Groucho Marx
globetrotterdk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby phoenixrising on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:26 am

globetrotterdk wrote:I did a clean install on my IBM ThinkPad T60, to give KDE a spin. I get the following error with KMail:

$ kmail
kmail: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkmailprivate.so.4: undefined symbol: _ZN4KPIM8KMeditor16contextMenuEventEP17QContextMenuEvent

KMail refuses to start.

I am a total newbie with KDE - can anyone tell me what KMail, KWrite, etc. use for spell checking? Aspell, Ispell, or something else?

Cheers

Please check this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=24372#p142250 .. might be of help...
Intel Core i7 920 with 3 GB RAM | Intel DX58SO Mainboard (Onboard Realtek/Intel HD sound) | Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 Toxic 1GB | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer
phoenixrising
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements