Linux Mint 7 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Linux Mint 7 RC1 Bug Thread

Postby clem on Tue May 05, 2009 1:15 pm

This thread is dedicated to bug reports on Linux Mint 7 Gloria RC1. Please report bugs here and include necessary steps to reproduce the problems you describe.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 Bug Thread

Postby tdapple on Tue May 05, 2009 1:29 pm

not necessarily a bug, but gnome-do is there by default. But the plugin package is not. I would say either take gnome-do out of the iso or add the plugins package to make it useful out of the box.
tdapple
Level 2
Level 2

Postby kwisher on Tue May 05, 2009 2:20 pm

When right-clicking on a file in Nautilus and selecting the "send-to" option, Evolution is listed as the email client instead of Thunderbird.

Note: How can I correct this until it is fixed in the final?
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Splash screen bug

Postby daspooky on Tue May 05, 2009 2:54 pm

The splash screen while booting or shutting down, has a black rectangle in the lower half of the splash (under the progress bar) which is darker than the rest of the splash screen background. The GUI of Mint 7 is well polished. It would be too bad if this level of perfection isn't reflected in the splash screen also.

Other than that: great job people! Loving Mint 7 so far!
daspooky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Old Marcus on Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Might be to do with the theme, but I added a new toolbar and tried adding application launchers to it and I thought they weren't going on. Turns out they are, but they're invisible. Quite annoying and needs to be fixed.

EDIT: just checked, it is to do with the theme, it only happens on the shiki-mint theme.

Another thing, inxi, while nice, has some presentation faults. On the default terminal screen, the light grey text is hard to read. Also, it may look better and easier to read if the info was separated into lines, i.e:

Code: Select all
CPU[-Quad core Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 (SMP) clocked at 2003.000 Mhz-]
Kernel[-2.6.28-11-generic i686-]
Up[-23 min-]
Mem[-351.8/3276.7MB-]
HDD[-1000.2GB(12.4% used)-]
Procs[-155-]
Client[-Shell-]
inxi[-1.0.6-]
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ayonkhan on Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Last edited by ayonkhan on Fri May 08, 2009 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
=> FOSS Addict | Linux Enthusiast | KDE Fan
=> Linux Mint 14 KDE @ Desktop & HP ProBook 4530s
ayonkhan
Level 2
Level 2

Postby briansers on Tue May 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Looks good so far. The Mint Menu hotkey conflicts with super-space for starting Gnome Do.
briansers
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Old Marcus on Tue May 05, 2009 4:04 pm

I've also noticed that mintInstall hangs for a reasonable amount of time while downloading the screenshot. Perhaps make it like synaptic, where you only download the screenshot if you want to?
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby tawan on Tue May 05, 2009 5:49 pm

EDIT: No big deal I can change it in the Mint Menu Preferences

briansers wrote:Looks good so far. The Mint Menu hotkey conflicts with super-space for starting Gnome Do.

Good point. Plus I like to set a number of shortcuts with "Super key + letter" to do things so maybe have the "Super key + letter" to launch the menu too. With it this way (tho nice) it owns the Super key and nothing else can be assigned a "Super + letter" shortcut.

No bugs so far, trying to find. I suspect the theme will be the biggest cause but it looks great :D
tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Postby -iceblade^ on Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 pm

i have not been able to use it properly

the first option on the disc - run Mint only drops me off at a console instead of launching GNOME, etc.. i tried installing using the 'use installer only' option but when rebooting after a successful install i got an 'error - cannot mount selected partition'. the same thing happened when i restarted, wiped the old install, and then used compatibility mode (which this time launched GNOME, etc)

and yes i burnt the disc at the slowest speed and checked it for errors before proceeding to install.

that said, the RC looks terrific! great work guys :D
-iceblade^
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Tue May 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Ok, so here's my take on it. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, or if it's specific to my computer:

1) when booting the live CD, it flickers through several login stages. It briefly shows a mint@mint command prompt, then it also shows gdm for about 5 seconds (long enough that I wondered if I was meant to login).
2) the new usplash theme looks VERY professional, it's gorgeous, as is the new gdm (but I don't like that it hides the mint logo (though this was raised in another thread)
3) personally, I don't like dark themes, but the one labelled Linux Mint is very nice.
4) flash works better than ever, it no longer wams my cpu usage up to 100%
5) did I mention how professional it looks :D

EDIT: yep, I also remember noticing the ubuntu start-up music (only on live CD, not after install) as gus points out below.
Last edited by emorrp1 on Tue May 05, 2009 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Gus on Tue May 05, 2009 7:48 pm

EDITED: Ubuntu splash music is still there in live CD sessions. Once installed splash music is the same as usual.
Last edited by Gus on Wed May 06, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm

emorrp1 wrote:2) the new usplash theme looks VERY professional, it's gorgeous, as is the new gdm (but I don't like that it hides the mint logo (though this was raised in another thread)

Indeed this has. I will be working on this tonight when I get home from work, and post it in the appropriate thread to see if Zwopper, Clem, Exploder and the rest of the team find it to their liking.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby cottager on Tue May 05, 2009 8:04 pm

hi,
so this is my first message and i try it in my best english ;-)
i installed the rc1 and i have the same problems as in jaunty.
first: a bad flash performance in firefox. everytime i watch a flash video in fullscreen the film seems to jerky and the cpu goes high to 100% (in felicia it runs perfect).
this is only in fullscreen. in normal screen it's okay. and only in firefox. in opera it run's good in fullscreen.
second. the vlc bug. the films doesn't starts in the main interface from the vlc player. the player starts everytime a second interface.
third: i must modify sopcast-player. when i installed the sopcast-player it doesn't start. i must remove the *pyc files and modify the application to *py files. then i can start it.
fourth: i can't activate the visual effects. "he" said he can't activate the effects. in felicia it runs perfect.
so, i hope it's understandable :wink: and it's possible to fix the problems. on the other hand i stay at felicia :wink:
thanks and greetings from germany.
cottager
Level 1
Level 1

Postby alexxx24887 on Tue May 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Notifications appear at the top right, shouldn't they appear on the right bottom?

The keyboard shortcut option in mintmenu does not work, it's not possible to assign any other key or to remove the key assignment to Super_L, even if the field is empty

There is no option to maximize mintupdate and same situation with mininstall like Old Marcus has. (make it like synaptic would be a good option to speedup mintinstall)

Old Marcus wrote:I've also noticed that mintInstall hangs for a reasonable amount of time while downloading the screenshot. Perhaps make it like synaptic, where you only download the screenshot if you want to?

btw: greet job with Mint 7, congrats :D
alexxx24887
Level 2
Level 2

Big Bugs

Postby floweringmind on Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 pm

BUGS
1. Partition manager won't come up, it just grinds and grinds. I got around this by mounting my NTFS drives and preventing them from being unmounted during install.
This bug is an Ubuntu bug, I believe with Vista formated hard drives.

2. The system will randomly lock up forcing me to reboot. This is after all updates.
This is caused by the Nvidia driver 180.44, upgrade to 180.51
Last edited by floweringmind on Tue May 05, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
floweringmind
Level 1
Level 1

Postby inigomontoya on Tue May 05, 2009 9:53 pm

I havn't downloaded the RC yet. But the flash problem sounds like the serious Jaunty performance regression involving intel video cards. This situation has been rectified in the ubuntu forums. I feel it would be a good idea to include these fixes in the release version of Gloria.
inigomontoya
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tricoche on Tue May 05, 2009 10:10 pm

Stuck on splash screen for 90 seconds and the CPU got very hot ( 70 degrees ) but finally boot ... Any ideas ?
Last edited by Tricoche on Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tricoche
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ayonkhan on Tue May 05, 2009 10:19 pm

alexxx24887 wrote:Notifications appear at the top right, shouldn't they appear on the right bottom?

Good point.
=> FOSS Addict | Linux Enthusiast | KDE Fan
=> Linux Mint 14 KDE @ Desktop & HP ProBook 4530s
ayonkhan
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tdapple on Tue May 05, 2009 11:00 pm

1. I could not find mintupload in the menu

2. When I tried it with the command line I got the following

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpload/mintUpload.py", line 783, in <module>
filename = sys.argv[1]
IndexError: list index out of range
tdapple
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Releases & Announcements