Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Post by marcus0263 »

newW2 wrote:RE about the upstream ctrl+alt+backspace being removed by default.
Ubuntu release notes say:
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace disabled by default in Xorg

The Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination to force a restart of X is now disabled by default, to eliminate the problem of accidentally triggering the key combination. Users who do want this function can enable it in their xorg.conf, or by running the command dontzap --disable.
source: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904
You've got to be bloody kidding! Now this is one of the most idiotic, lame excuses for dumbing down Linux that I have ever seen. What idiot Moron would even remotely think that Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is a "risk" of accidentally being pressed :roll:

Hey Clem, how about removing these Moronic defaults in the release of Mint?
Shuttle SX58
Intel i7 Gulftown Hex Core
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Where Thought Crime is Committed
Reject the Herd
Coaihim

Post by Coaihim »

Could you add an option to disable the fortunes in the terminal? I really hate them.

Thanks for the great release!
AndyP79

Post by AndyP79 »

Mint 7 looks great! I successfully dual booted it on my laptop. One problem I found though was Thunderbird crashes the whole system when you try to start it :?: I really want my Thunderbird please........ I have no clue as to how to figure out what is wrong....can anyone help?
Other then that, Gloria is Great!
mince'n'tatties

Post by mince'n'tatties »

Yet again another blinding job by Clem and the rest of the mint devs, keep up the the great work. I like the new theme, installer, smaller fonts and on and on and on.
schpunty
Level 1
Level 1

Post by schpunty »

Clem and Team.

Two words to describe Mint 7 RC1.
"Simply Stunning"

You guys are the best..............Thanks.
GuiH

Post by GuiH »

Nice!
I'll change my system now xD
from windows to suse to ubuntu to kubuntu to MINT!
I need a Mint Gloria amd64 with full KDE; when it be released???
Thanks, amazing project!!! :D
jallain
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jallain »

For anybody that's interested I just installed the kde desktop and it installed flawlessly. I now have the beautiful gnome and the beautiful kde4. What a fantastic distro! Kudo's to Clem and team. You guys rock!!!
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

Re: the Crl > Alt > Backspace thing!

It's an upstream thing:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ight=polls

At least it's easy to fix!

Run in terminal;

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
And add these lines the end on the list:
Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection
So when you're done it looks something like this:
# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection
The part in bold is what I've added!
raveyd

Post by raveyd »

Excellent release. Really works, and looks very nice indeed. Well done!!
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

Where would we report any issues with Gloria that we've found so far? The only thing I've found so far is a simple link on the welcome to linux screen that you can choose not to show on startup. The link for the user's guide .pdf comes up as broken. All the other links work fine.

I have not had any errors with any native applications on Gloria yet so I can't really report anything there. :)

Fantastic work guys and gals.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

The bug thread is here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=25408
However, the user guide hasn't been written yet, but will in time for the official release, which is why its link is there but broken.
trident

Post by trident »

This looks excellent! I have a new laptop on order for June and have decided that Gloria will get the honour of replacing the Windows I sadly had to pay for. Unfortunately, like all recent Ubuntu-based distributions (except the Mint XFCE edition which "just works"), I can't boot the Live CD, even in Compatibility Mode, despite the fact that my computer is barely a year old! It freezes just as the desktop is loading, and my Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights start flashing. I'm blaming my computer though, not Mint, so instead I fired up a VirtualBox, and after doing the annoying workaround to get it to display fullscreen, it's now working fine. I love the Featured Apps in Mint Install and how easy it is to tick a few boxes and get loads of good software all in one go (although I got carried away and ticked VirtualBox... it seems that installing VirtualBox within VirtualBox breaks the space-time continuum).

Mixed feelings on the new theme though. I disliked it at first and switched back to the old one, then gave it another go and it grew on me slightly. I think I still prefer the old theme though. The additions of silver and blue make it seem very swish, modern, and, well, elegant, whereas the new version was really just black and green which seemed a bit plain in comparison. The jury's still out though.

Well done and many thanks to the Mint team for a great RC, your distribution has won over this Linux n00b :D
NickL

Post by NickL »

Thanks Clem and team, I think I've finally found a distro good enough to replace Daryna on my main PCs. Very, very nice. I've tried Jaunty recently, but Gloria is just so much more polished and usable. I've found no bugs yet, so hoping that I won't need to re-install when you release the final version.

All the best.
Nick
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

trident wrote:This looks excellent! I have a new laptop on order for June and have decided that Gloria will get the honour of replacing the Windows I sadly had to pay for. Unfortunately, like all recent Ubuntu-based distributions (except the Mint XFCE edition which "just works"), I can't boot the Live CD, even in Compatibility Mode, despite the fact that my computer is barely a year old! It freezes just as the desktop is loading, and my Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights start flashing. I'm blaming my computer though, not Mint, so instead I fired up a VirtualBox, and after doing the annoying workaround to get it to display fullscreen, it's now working fine. I love the Featured Apps in Mint Install and how easy it is to tick a few boxes and get loads of good software all in one go (although I got carried away and ticked VirtualBox... it seems that installing VirtualBox within VirtualBox breaks the space-time continuum).

Mixed feelings on the new theme though. I disliked it at first and switched back to the old one, then gave it another go and it grew on me slightly. I think I still prefer the old theme though. The additions of silver and blue make it seem very swish, modern, and, well, elegant, whereas the new version was really just black and green which seemed a bit plain in comparison. The jury's still out though.

Well done and many thanks to the Mint team for a great RC, your distribution has won over this Linux n00b :D
I actually like the new theme, love it really. I just changed the background image and I'm happy as a clam ya know.

Anyway in regards to paying the Windows Tax, I don't support vendors who charge that. My recent Laptop I got a DIY laptop from OCZ with a Nvidia 8600 GT, then bought the CPU, RAM and drive. Works great with Mint and I didn't have to pay the tax. Also there's M-Tech Laptops, you select the model, components and they'll ship it to you without an OS. I got my girlfriend one a couple of years ago and she's been very pleased with it.

Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
Drake2k

Post by Drake2k »

Ah, gothcya.
emorrp1 wrote:The bug thread is here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=25408
However, the user guide hasn't been written yet, but will in time for the official release, which is why its link is there but broken.
WoodCAT
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoodCAT »

Running from usb stick, seems working fine.
Except list of applications keeps disappearing from menu, it comes back after 'reload plugins' is done.
Mint freezes solid when Lattice screensaver is chosen. Probably graphic driver for ATI R580 related.
Crtl+Alt+Backspace no longer works. Thanks kansasnoob for the fix.

Love the dark theme! But little too much green for my taste :D

Good work everyone!
trident

Post by trident »

marcus0263 wrote:
trident wrote:This looks excellent! I have a new laptop on order for June and have decided that Gloria will get the honour of replacing the Windows I sadly had to pay for. Unfortunately, like all recent Ubuntu-based distributions (except the Mint XFCE edition which "just works"), I can't boot the Live CD, even in Compatibility Mode, despite the fact that my computer is barely a year old! It freezes just as the desktop is loading, and my Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights start flashing. I'm blaming my computer though, not Mint, so instead I fired up a VirtualBox, and after doing the annoying workaround to get it to display fullscreen, it's now working fine. I love the Featured Apps in Mint Install and how easy it is to tick a few boxes and get loads of good software all in one go (although I got carried away and ticked VirtualBox... it seems that installing VirtualBox within VirtualBox breaks the space-time continuum).

I actually like the new theme, love it really. I just changed the background image and I'm happy as a clam ya know.

Anyway in regards to paying the Windows Tax, I don't support vendors who charge that. My recent Laptop I got a DIY laptop from OCZ with a Nvidia 8600 GT, then bought the CPU, RAM and drive. Works great with Mint and I didn't have to pay the tax. Also there's M-Tech Laptops, you select the model, components and they'll ship it to you without an OS. I got my girlfriend one a couple of years ago and she's been very pleased with it.

I'm in the UK which kind of limits my choice of OS-free laptops - in the end I found one that was cheaper and higher-spec, and at least only had Vista Basic so I wouldn't be paying for Premium!

I've given the new theme another go and it's definitely growing on me now - the old theme, while very nice and modern in my opinion, does still look noticeably "old" compared to the new one. I'm starting to think now that it may be better to set the new theme as default, for the "wow" factor, and it's certainly easy enough to switch back to the old theme.

MintMenu looks absolutely great too, I've seen it compared to the Vista menu but I'd say it's better! I've not managed to find any bugs yet (apart from a couple of random VirtualBox crashes, which are probably my lack of RAM) but I'll keep playing with it!
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Well I just installed on my Corporate Workstation, standard Del GSX box. Yeah I'm lucky, I can get away with shrinking Windows down to an insignificant slot and never have to look at it 8)

Anyway everything works great except for sound, modules load, no errors seen but there just isn't any sound what so ever.

Here's the details -

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

snd_hda_intel         425396  3 
snd_pcm_oss            38144  0 
snd_mixer_oss          14976  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                74372  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy           3076  0 
snd_seq_oss            30336  0 
snd_seq_midi            6528  0 
snd_rawmidi            21632  1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event      7424  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                49328  6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer              21128  2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device          7308  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    54820  15 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore               7776  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9224  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
Everything is in order on the hardware side so I'm thinking it's a software issue, no problems with Felicia, since loading Gloria no sound.

Cheers
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ marcus0263
That can be the infamous HDA problem - possible solution here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... sa#p107982
marcus0263
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marcus0263 »

Husse wrote:@ marcus0263
That can be the infamous HDA problem - possible solution here
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... sa#p107982
Yeah, sniffing around there does seem to be an issue, bummer it worked with felicia no problems. Anyway I'm building ALSA from source, let's see if this does anything ...
Shuttle SX58
G.Skill 16Gig 1333
OCS Vertex 2 SSD
Segate SATA II
Palit GeForce GTS 450
LMKDE 14 64Bit

Reject the Herd

Return to “Releases & Announcements”