Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
jasmac

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Post by jasmac »

Hello everybody, well I am back with mint after spending some time in the kde world. Unbelievable how much this distro keeps getting better. I only have 2 issues, is there any way to have maximised windows cover the panels, I have autohide working, but my preference is to have the windows cover the panels without having to hide them. The other one is when trying to connect to the printer on my windows machine, the add printer program crashes and closes. I can see and browse to the windows computer normally. So any ideas with these two and life will be spot on. Thanks Clem and crew you just keep impressing.

Cheers

Jason
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Husse,
have the system requirements been beefed up?,
or is it just a case of the software slowly needing more oomph. :)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

unlikely, if anything, requirements should go down as there are a lot of performance gains this release. However if you're experiencing slow downs: do you have an intel graphics card? The driver provided is not great, there has been a solution posted somewhere on the forums, but I forget where.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I am waiting for the actual ( final ) release, before downloading it.
- just wondering
:D
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
JonnyRock

Post by JonnyRock »

I stumbled across Mint 2 weeks ago, love it. I have began removing windows XP off my PC's and replacing it with Mint. :D

Will 7 have nvidia raid support and better ATI support? :mrgreen:
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

JonnyRock, that depends on what you mean by better ATI support. AMD have dropped support for many devices in their proprietary driver, but my dual monitors now work properly now I've "upgraded" to the opensource driver.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Almost certainly, but if you need 100% guarantees, wait.
phoenixrising

Post by phoenixrising »

Was at first thinking that I'll wait for the final release for Gloria but couldn't help but download!! Tried the Live CD and it's utterly beautiful... Great job done Clem and Team... now just on tenterhooks waiting for the final...
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Greetings from the Mint 7 Gloria RC1 liveCD :mrgreen:

I was apprehensive about this release because of this:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

Yeah that's my video :mrgreen: However, I am happy to report that I have Compiz functionality on the liveCD (cube, burning windows, all my favorite goodies) Flash also seems to be running smoothly so far and so are Ogg Theora, .AVI and .WMV videos, surprisingly smoothly for running from liveCD. I will run this off the liveCD for a while and see if I find any bugs. Aaaaaaand then I may just clean up my Mint 5 system and prepare it for an upgrade. Mint 6 was not very useable to me, but Mint 7 is looking like a considerable improvement. :mrgreen:
warriorpoet

Post by warriorpoet »

I'm not sure if this is Gloria-specific, but mp3 playback is a LOUD NOISES! type of affair using my Creative X-Fi (Creative drivers, OSS output). There's no other way to get sound out of this machine. I don't seem to have the same issue with Mint 6.
Mastacheata

Post by Mastacheata »

The danish mirror seems to be corrupt. (I don't know if they take money from anywhere but at least their file is broken)
Can anyone confirm this? (I've tried from different computers on different adsl lines with always the same result)
Last edited by Mastacheata on Thu May 07, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jjude

Post by Jjude »

Ive had the same from two mirrors so far, and Im onto a 3rd, taking an age to download too. if this doesnt match Im leaving it till the final release.
Jjude

Post by Jjude »

Well I managed to get a good download, and it looks terrific, Well Done all concerned, and Thank you.
Mastacheata

Post by Mastacheata »

I'm sorry about the md5 thing. Just pasted a blank too much. The ISO image from the danish mirror matches the md5sum. And the md5sum is also consistent over seperate mirrors.

This doesn't mean it's working, though.
So far downloads from HEAnet in Ireland and KLID in Denmark result in error messages by my cd burning software even though the files match the correct md5sum

How the hell did you guys get that thing working?

EDIT: Forget about all I said. Just started the Iso image on my laptop with mint-fluxbox installed. Everything works fine there. Thats very strange.
mortadelo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mortadelo »

I like dark themes, and I have Felicia "dark-themered"; but I have to say that Gloriaś default theme is great.

In one think m not happy, maybe because is yet a RC version but the art when Linuxmint is loading is not as good as Felicia's and also Ubuntu's is more beautiful.
Also, I see that Crtl+Alt+Backspace cobintaniton (restore Xorg) no longer work, as Ubuntu 9.04, can, please, restore it?.

In other facts Iḿ very happy with Gloria, is fantastic. :D
@go
Level 1
Level 1

Post by @go »

Simply great!! And I hope this theme will be the default one in the final version.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Also, I see that Crtl+Alt+Backspace cobintaniton (restore Xorg) no longer work, as Ubuntu 9.04,
It's to be restored in the final I think
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

RE about the upstream ctrl+alt+backspace being removed by default.
Ubuntu release notes say:
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace disabled by default in Xorg

The Ctrl-Alt-Backspace key combination to force a restart of X is now disabled by default, to eliminate the problem of accidentally triggering the key combination. Users who do want this function can enable it in their xorg.conf, or by running the command dontzap --disable.
source: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904
Husse

Post by Husse »

Just a comment
how do you accidentally trigger Ctrl+Alt+Backslash :)
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

I can't even press them accidentally on my keyboard, where they're all grouped together under one thumb-group :lol: Nice one, Ubuntu. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace has gotten me out of a few hiccups without having to restart the comp completely.

I ran off the liveCD all day yesterday and had no issues. When I ran the liveCD of Mint 6 Felicia, I had many issues, particularly video issues, so this is a step up, for me. I'm very pleased so far.

The RC1's default art theme is very refreshing and crisp. It has a polished feel and the "Mint Dew" wallpaper has a satiny, relaxed look. This look has proven to be particularly appealing to my female friends. Obviously this look will not appeal to everybody, what look does? :mrgreen: That's why there's a stock of wallpapers in the Appearances tab :) Nevertheless, I think this look will grab attention, as it certainly does stand out against the more 'artificial' art looks.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”