Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 RC1 released!

Postby edwardXXII on Thu May 21, 2009 2:41 am

Hey Minties,

Nice to read, that Mint 7 is on the brink of release. Go go go! :)

Here is another review about Gloria-RC1
english: http://luminosus.info/news.php?extend.10.3
german: http://luminosus.info/news.php?extend.6.3

I think everybody should support Linux Mint, e.g. by proselytizing friends and by using the advantages of viral marketing via web2.0.
As the first step, it's time to connect with Linux Mint in any possible way! So, come on, and join some "Minty" Groups... ;)
Twitter: http://twibes.com/LinuxMint
FB: http://facebook.com/group.php?gid=6268759357
LastFm: http://last.fm/group/Linux+Mint
MySpace: http://groups.myspace.com/linuxmint
YouTube: http://youtube.com/group/linuxmint

Greetings,
Edward
edwardXXII
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby tuxfan on Thu May 21, 2009 8:17 am

Husse wrote:tuxfan
That's more for the bug topic but mintUpdate has been updated a lot lately so you probably find a working one if you update it through synaptic

Thanks for the reply. Not sure where the "bug topic" is (I didn't seem to be able to locate it). Same issue with the Mint Update as before. I've updated using Synaptic 3 times already and the MU screen just greys out after listing the available updates. Maybe it's because I'm using the RC and this will be fixed in the final release. I don't know. Just thought I would point this continuing issue out and inform you that downloading via Synaptic did not fix it.

Also, in the main menu (bottom/left), is it possible to enable cursor/position tracking?. While scrolling through the various installed packages, if you stray off the scroll bar, the cursor loses focus and the scroll bar simply ceases to scroll or jumps around so that you have to place the cursor over it again (this can get kind of annoying). I'm not complaining - just though maybe others would like to know so that these issues can be fixed in the final release.

Please move this post to the bug topic if necessary and accept my apology for posting in the wrong area. Otherwise, this is the best distro I have seen so far and look forward with great excitement and anticipation to it's final release.

Thank You, TuxFan
tuxfan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ljqueen on Thu May 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Dear Sirs,

Thank you for your great efforts making Linux MINT a fantastic operating system. I've been working with MS OS for a long time... But now it seems to be the worst Operating systems ever! Hope that hardware manufacturers as well as software producers understand this and make more Linux compatible hardware and software than it is now.

I know that this RC1 Gloria release is not a final OS, so it is common that there are some unfinished issues... After sucessfull install and enjoyment for more than 2 weeks I have got such issue... That's with the wireless connection. Everything went fine, but after yesterday' Mint update... No wireless connection is available in the Network manager... And it shows that "wireless is disabled"... But it is enabled in my Lenovo N500 notebook all the time. So I can only connect to internet (as this time also) by wire to my network card.

Please help me to solve the problem!

Cheers to everybody and a big thank you for Linux Mint team for a really fantastic OS!!!
ljqueen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lexon on Thu May 21, 2009 6:18 pm

I have lost the Wireless Icon in my desktop also. No doubt the developers are doing something. Not to worry. It might be fixed in the next uopdate. After all, this is a RC version.

My wireless laptop running Mint 7 Live CD has a good wireless connection.

lexon
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ljqueen on Fri May 22, 2009 5:41 am

Hello to everybody,

I have found what made the Wireless dissapear from the OS... Unfortunately the Intel Wifi 5100 has "blown". Because Linux and MS Win XP tells that "Wireless is disabled". If I turn the switch on and off, only Bluetooth turn on, but no sign of the Wireless.. :(

So it seems that Linux Mint has nothing to do with it.
ljqueen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Xtigyro on Fri May 22, 2009 9:37 am

I have a question. Clem, don't you think that it's a good idea to include the translators names/nicknames in the "About" or in some documentation (where everybody can see all contributing members) shipped with the cd distro in order to increase the number of volunteers? :)
Unless we explore, experiment and discover, we are only following the crowd.
Xtigyro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Fri May 22, 2009 11:20 am

clem wrote:
emorrp1 wrote:Perhaps a translations tab in the credits box to attribute all the translations you hope to receive.

That was mentioned before but again, I'd rather not create more work for us. Translators aren't credited for what they do.

There are a lot of translators, and crediting them in one tool creates an expectation for the others, crediting them in all the tools would indeed be a lot of work for clem! Perhaps sometime in the future Xtigyro. Also, he'd have to contact everyone to ensure they're ok for their name (and/or e-mail) to be published.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby clem on Fri May 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi,

That's exactly it. It would be a nice idea of course but also a lot of work.. to maintain all these names and to have people agree on having their names published. It's down to feasibility and maintenance.

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby dizmoduck on Sat May 23, 2009 3:36 am

Just install LM 7 on my mom's old old old AMD Athlon MP with 512 Mb Ram and it's runs as smooth as LM 6.

It's start up from power on to redy within one min.

I formated root partition with ext4, /home partition is still ext3

This time Firefox runs with sun java out of the box

LM found webcam, printer and sound cart

Still got at small issues with the sound on Skype there are still some noise.

Now I'll just have to wait to the 64bit comes out so I'll can install it on my laptop HP Elite Book 2450p

Keep up the good work
---
Venlig Hilsen / Kind Regards
/dizmoduck

- live your dreams, don't dream your life
dizmoduck
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kaixi on Sat May 23, 2009 2:05 pm

Another bug:

After I install an application with Mintinstall, the installer dialog box shows Finished and then it completely stops responding.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header.
kaixi
Level 2
Level 2

Postby yeti on Sat May 23, 2009 8:47 pm

I'm using Mint7RC1 as a liveCD, and it's very nice; my favorite Linux.

However, there are some hold-overs from Mint6 that need some attention.
Both are easily fixed in installed distros, but a nuisance in the liveCD situation.

1. For those with rt2500 wifi hardware, if they use the linux driver rt2500pci, they still need to
issue a command 'sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M' if they want any reasonable broadband performance.

2. For those who use XP part of the time, Mint's choice of 'UTC=yes' in /etc/default/rcS will (re)set your clock to UMT, even if it was previously correctly set in XP. I vote for 'UTC=no' in /etc/default/rcS.
yeti
Level 1
Level 1

Postby YuRiSsS on Sun May 24, 2009 4:04 pm

Hey people, please respond to this question!!!

Can i install this version (RC) and when final version is released, update by Internet, without new install ?
YuRiSsS
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sun May 24, 2009 4:32 pm

On the blog Clem said so:
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=845
"The upgrade path from Mint 7 RC1 is working fine. The upgrade path from Mint 6 will need to be tested and the upgrader will eventually need to be updated. This won’t hold the release though and we’ll make an announcement for Mint 6 users a few days after the release."
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mmesantos1 on Mon May 25, 2009 12:05 am

Running Linux Mint 7 Final. Runs great. Thanks Clem. Downloaded from the Ireland download link. :D
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby osiixy on Mon May 25, 2009 7:06 am

Hi,
I've got an ASUS F5 rl and I've downloaded 3 times the RC1 iso (written the disc too).
I've tried to launch it however I've got only ERROR :cry: messages.
:?:
Loading isolinux: Disk error 20, AX=42B4, driver EF

Boot failed: press a key to retry

Do anybody know what it means?
osiixy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Mon May 25, 2009 7:23 am

osiixy wrote:Hi,
I've got an ASUS F5 rl and I've downloaded 3 times the RC1 iso (written the disc too).

Sounds like a bad burn to me, possibly a corrupted iso.
Since the official release is ready, try to download that and give it a go, remember to burn at low speed.
Last edited by Zwopper on Mon May 25, 2009 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby wlake on Mon May 25, 2009 8:01 am

I'd like to add my congrats to rc1. One question, I am running LinuxMint 7 rc1 from an external USB HD and it runs perfectly. It automatically mounts all the partitons on my external USB HD when it starts. I would rather it not do that. I looked in /etc/.fstab but did not see a way to stop this behavior. Could any one help.
TIA,
wlake
wlake
Level 2
Level 2

Postby ESM on Mon May 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Zwopper wrote:Sounds like a bad burn to me, possibly a corrupted iso.
Since the official release is ready, try to download that and give it a go, remember to burn at low speed.

It's kind of amazing that the release version of the stable 7 is already since May 20 on all known mirrors. I have checked this. So why no announcement?!

What I find also peculiar is that the startup screen of Gloria (the boot screen) still has that ugly large black (more black that the rest of the screen) block. No pleasure to the eye :wink:
ESM
Level 2
Level 2

Postby osiixy on Mon May 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Zwopper wrote:
osiixy wrote:Hi,

Sounds like a bad burn to me, possibly a corrupted iso.

Thank you so much! :D It works. And of course it is remarkable. :D
osiixy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ksee on Mon May 25, 2009 8:40 pm

Downloaded the final 7 also... heanet server.
ksee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements