Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby Lolo Uila on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:24 am

I dropped Gloria on my test partition to try her out, and WOW!

The short development cycle is really what bugs me most about Ubuntu (and by association, Mint) because reloading every six months is one of the reasons I gave up on Windows. At least with Linux the reloading every six months was optional. So for a while now I have been sticking with the LTS version as my main boot OS, and I have a small (12GB) test partition I drop new versions on just to play with.

But damn, Gloria is so hot I may just have to give Elyssa the boot. Seriously, Clem, you have really outdone yourself this time. Congrats to you and all who help you for a truly outstanding release. Mint has always been a cut above the rest, but Gloria is exceptionally fine even by Mint standards. She will be a tough act to follow.

Forgive me if I missed it somewhere, but is there any news on an Xfce community edition release? (I still like GNOME, but I'm growing increasingly fond of Xfce...)

Once again a very big thank you for all that you do for the Linux community. Mint is a shining example of what an OS should be!

Aloha, Tim
User avatar
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:40 am
Location: Kapolei, Hawaii

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby Husse on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:47 am

Tim - check the Mint Twitter :)
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21
 
Posts: 19710
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby vrkalak on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:50 pm

On some encouragement from friends, I made the switch to a Linux distro . . . Ubuntu 9.04; about a 6 weeks ago.
It is a good system but I was not entirely happy with it.

After reading more about Linux and LinuxMint-7 . . . I switched again about a week ago. OMG!! LinuxMint rocks!!

I'm sold on Gloria!! :mrgreen:
Image
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
User avatar
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10
 
Posts: 3278
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Santa Fe, NM, USA

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby eiver on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:36 am

Linux Mint spreads quickly like a virus :P. I already have Mint running on 3 out of 5 machines at home :D.
User avatar
eiver
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:51 am

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby Bit Mad on Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:51 am

I believe support is due to run out next month for my Mint 7.
As I can't use the search box for "mint 7" and don't know where to look.......
... can someone please tell me what my options are? Is upgrading painless, or best avoided - start over?

Thanks
User avatar
Bit Mad
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:00 am

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby Joylove on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:13 pm

Bit Mad wrote:I believe support is due to run out next month for my Mint 7.
As I can't use the search box for "mint 7" and don't know where to look.......
... can someone please tell me what my options are? Is upgrading painless, or best avoided - start over?

Thanks

IMO it would be painless reinstalling IF you had /home on a separate partition.

Also making a backup of .config and it's content, then deleting it (alternately renaming .config folder) can be good for selective restore of your old setting without possible incompatibilities.

Theres also pointing your repo to LM9 and upgrading but there may be bigger problems and longer download time.
Joylove
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby oobetimer on Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:51 pm

Joylove wrote:
Bit Mad wrote:I believe support is due to run out next month for my Mint 7.
As I can't use the search box for "mint 7" and don't know where to look.......
... can someone please tell me what my options are? Is upgrading painless, or best avoided - start over?

Thanks

IMO it would be painless reinstalling IF you had /home on a separate partition.

Also making a backup of .config and it's content, then deleting it (alternately renaming .config folder) can be good for selective restore of your old setting without possible incompatibilities.

Theres also pointing your repo to LM9 and upgrading but there may be bigger problems and longer download time.


How to move home to the separate partition ==> viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55803#p319228
User avatar
oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:53 pm
Location: Finland / above the Arctic Circle

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby Bit Mad on Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks. Partitions scare me, I've tried learning about it before but never found a REALLY good guide to it. It looks like it should be fairly straightforward. but there's always a level of complexity that isn't well explained :D
- so I'll avoid that.

I'd rather copy my home folder to the Windows partition and a USB stick for safekeeping, and then try pointing at a new repo, if that's likely to work. Otherwise I'll just flatten it and start over, I suppose. I'm a little disappointed about having to upgrade all the time, so I might look into the Debian based Mint with rolling release.

Cheers
User avatar
Bit Mad
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:00 am

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby oobetimer on Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Bit Mad wrote:Thanks. Partitions scare me, I've tried learning about it before but never found a REALLY good guide to it. It looks like it should be fairly straightforward. but there's always a level of complexity that isn't well explained :D
- so I'll avoid that.

I'd rather copy my home folder to the Windows partition and a USB stick for safekeeping, and then try pointing at a new repo, if that's likely to work. Otherwise I'll just flatten it and start over, I suppose. I'm a little disappointed about having to upgrade all the time, so I might look into the Debian based Mint with rolling release.

Cheers


You cannot copy your home folder to the windows partitions, because there are no inodes, whose are crucial for linux filesystem..

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/understan ... nodes.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inode

Inodes makes filesystem safer, and that is one reason why malware likes vitamin C:\ .. :lol:

Vitamin C:\ = windows filesystem (ntfs, fat)
User avatar
oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:53 pm
Location: Finland / above the Arctic Circle

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby Bit Mad on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:32 am

I meant just copy the files/folder structure in a zip or something :D
Thanks anyway
User avatar
Bit Mad
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:00 am

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby Bit Mad on Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:39 am

Ahaaa, the blog has what I need http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1546

- this useful tutorial :
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2

:)
User avatar
Bit Mad
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:00 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 
Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests