Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 7 “Gloria”. Quick steps: Download the ISO. While it’s downloading look at the videos and the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 7, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO is downloaded verify the MD5 (as [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=847

Clem.
tawan

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Post by tawan »

w00t
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

weeew! great! :D :) :o :twisted: :P :mrgreen: :!: :wink: :lol: 8)
thanks, Clem :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Happy day! :D
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

A big "thank you" to Clem and the Mint team :D

Cheers,

Deadguy
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MissileCop »

Awesome job to one and all who worked on this.

:shock: <---- What would cause this? The fact that Gloria (whether Ubuntu's doing, or Mint's doing, I don't know) now recognizes my Creative Zen as soon as I plug it in, and the icon even says so. :mrgreen: With each new Mint release, there are fewer, and fewer reasons to dual boot into Windows.

Within 30 minutes, I had installed Gloria onto my primary partitions, updated, installed restricted drivers, and installed K3b, Amarok, and Audacity. It would have been quicker, but I had too many mount points to type in, for the numerous partitions that I have spread across four hard drives. :)

Once again, great job to all! Makes me wonder what the Mint Team is going to pull off next! Whatever it is, it'll be great, I'm sure.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

An upgrade path for Linux Mint 6 “Felicia” users will be published in a few days.
Come on! Come on! Hurry up I can wait any longer :( :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Drizz
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Everyone else used the default topic I thought I'd be differ

Post by Drizz »

Well done to all involved.
jfreak wrote: Now lets set a challenge. How many can we convert to using it? :P
. - i k e y - .
You can count me as one :D :D :mrgreen:
DaJinx

Post by DaJinx »

Thank you for this wonderful release!
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Just finished installing Mint 7. So far all is top notch (as expected).
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

As usual, works perfectly on my HP Pavillion Lap Top.

Excellent work by everyone concerned and sincere thanks to you all for your efforts.

One observation though - Is it my imagination, or does Brasero now take twice as long to burn anything compared with before?

Griz.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Upgrade from LM 7 RC1 not working. I enabled distribution upgrade and refreshed and it said I had an up to date system. Checked 'history of updates' and it's been since the 16th of May that it was last updated.
garwal

Post by garwal »

big_dog1968 wrote:Upgrade from LM 7 RC1 not working. I enabled distribution upgrade and refreshed and it said I had an up to date system. Checked 'history of updates' and it's been since the 16th of May that it was last updated.
Having the same problem? In the Internet check mine says google.com what is that all about. Hope we get an answer soon?
Gary
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

Well, I've been on board since Daryna, and to me this seems like the best release yet. Everything happens as quickly as or more quickly than it ever has. More to the point, just about everything seems to work--I can't find anything I really need that doesn't work right at the install. The last couple of releases I've had to do a few things to make videos work right, but this time, no need. BBC, NBA, it all just works.

The one problem i still seem to have--and it's really not even much of a problem for me--is that when Compiz is enabled, I get intermittent flickers, just as with Felicia, even with the 180.44 nVidia drivers. I was wondering if this might have changed with a new kernel and new drivers, but apparently not. But I just turn Compiz off and Gnome compositing on, and I don't miss the eye candy.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

I was running LM7 RC-1 and copied all the stuff I wanted onto an USB H/D - INCLUDING the hidden .Mozilla and .MozillaThunderbird files. Then totally removed the partition from the hard drive and made a brand new fresh installation. The next step is to graft all the previously saved stuff - including the two hidden files above. Next re-installed my favourite programs and now have a perfectly running Mint 7.

I have never had any luck with the mint backup programs. This technique is a little messy but does work perfectly.

Griz.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

I posted a link to Gloria in the AnandTech forum at the bottom of a question about whether they intend to ever cover Linux again. There is also a poll asking whether they should revive Linux coverage. Linux Article/ Linux Coverage So far the vote is 2 - 0 that Linux deserves coverage.
mukmaster

Post by mukmaster »

Formaly I was what you would call a distro-hopper. I tried a lot of different distro's, many of them with a lot of pleasure. At any given time I would have a multiboot of 3 or 4 different distros, wich at this moment are CrashBang linux (an Ubuntu dereviate), slackware, Debian and.. Mint!
Since at every boot I chose the distro I'm in the mood for, at a moment I realised that LM6 had become the absulute favourite.. a thing wich in my case should be considered an exeptional acchievement. LM6 not only impressed me with the very delicate artwork, but also (and for me even more important) it ran very smooth, fast, and it never crashed (not a single application.. EVER!!).

I was convinced that LM6 offered everything one could ever wish, so I had mixed emotions about stepping to LM7, though I was too-much tempted to let it be.

3 ours ago I booted my box with the freshly installed LM7 and it is even faster, even more smooth.
A few months ago if you would have asked me wich is the best distro I would have sayd LM6. At this moment (after just a few ours playing with it) I would say LM7 is the best distro..by far!

I consider myself a pretty sceptical critic when it comes to an OS, but Mint really charmes me. This is the kind of work that will eventually make the big difference in bringing open source to common use.
I'm very impressed by both the technical as the 'subjective' ways LM differences . Of course Ubuntu is a very nice distro, but there's a difference between something that just works fine and somthing that impresses in quality.

Congratulations to the development team and everyone who in other ways have contibuted.
rebelpersev

Post by rebelpersev »

I am seeding it now from my desktop and am about to burn and install it on my Inspiron 1525n laptop. I have been using the 7-RC since it came out and it runs flawlessly and noticeably faster than 6. I may just run on my desktop also which is running Linux Mint 6 Felicia x64, but then I may wait for the x64 version of 7 we'll see.
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

mukmaster wrote:Formaly I was what you would call a distro-hopper. I tried a lot of different distro's, many of them with a lot of pleasure. At any given time I would have a multiboot of 3 or 4 different distros, wich at this moment are CrashBang linux (an Ubuntu dereviate)...
I think that should be #! Crunchbang Linux! :P
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Many thanks,Clem,and everyone in the Mint team for another wonderful and stable release.
Sleek and efficient,as always.
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630

Return to “Releases & Announcements”