Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
walterav

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Post by walterav »

Nice Release!

The only website that did not work was the playboy 50 years silverlight database...
Only one question... why is memtest86+ 1.70 bundled and not a new one?
nono

Post by nono »

I really love Mint!

It is the first Linux distro that I tried...

I think it will be the only distro that I'll use.
Willie Green

Post by Willie Green »

Congratulations!

I just installed the "Felicia" Fluxbox CE a couple weeks ago, and have been very favorably impressed.
I am looking forward to upgrading to "Gloria", but if that path proves too complex for me, I'll definitely give "Gloria" Fluxbox CE it's own fresh installation when it is released.

Great work, folks!
I'm very happy that I gave Mint a try!!!
kuruka

Post by kuruka »

:D
clem,
congrats! Well done indeed. In that way mint is being a big choice of the gnu linux users. Mint wan another strike.Keep up working on this way.
Best regards.
from sidux brazil at http://www.sidux.com.br
:mrgreen:
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

I have tried Fedora, Ubuntu and few other less popular distros before I moved to Mint and I am too a Mint lover from the first day I installed it. But enough of sweet talk. Now say something bad about Gloria or we will never see Mint 8. :P
JBM

Post by JBM »

After having been through Windows 95 to Vista, and Macs, plus Ubuntu and Puppy, well......
The present version of Mint is "cool, calm and collected".
Simple to download, simple to burn to disc, simple to install, and above all - beautiful to use.
My computer is dual-booting with Mint 7 and Vista and if I needed to speak poetically about it
I would say that the whole of the machine feels as it is on holiday with Mint 7 whereas under
Vista, Windows 7 and Mac, stress creeps in all of the time.
Do not ask me about programming, I am just a user, but no mess...
Really impressed !!!
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

As expected Clem you have outdone yourself yet again. Thanks again for another fantastic version of Mint!
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

Hey all!
From freedom came ELEGANCE! Can you write your own epitaph years in advance?
I've been away for a while in NOVELL land. Thats where my training lies. In my defence I have an ASUS laptop that runs Daryna, and has done since I got it. And I have never had a reason to look elsewhere. This is my work supplied machine that was shipped with XP Pro. That lasted a week. Daryna has served me well. But f#$%ing WOW on Gloria. I.T. is my livelihood. Reliabilty for my personal gear is essential. 40 minutes to install "Gloria" and another three to get K3B. The interface is MAGIC! The speed is amazing. I have a rig at home that just installs distros. I play with them and move on. Fedora, RHEL, DamnSmall, Puppy, Ubuntu, Xandros...you name it. Most installs get a fortnight. You guys won an accolade recently for being the best "welcome to linux" distro. You will win more! You keep winning me. My wife runs XP (for work) and dual boots MINT6 for all her internet needs. Guess what I'm doing to her rig tomorrow. "'Morning Dear, have you met Gloria. She's very elegant"

salty
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
mukmaster

Post by mukmaster »

Mint is first-ranking on the watchlist on Distrowatch!!!
Heraclitus

Post by Heraclitus »

andypeng wrote:And I also have an idea, I am using company laptop HP 6910P, I would like to buy a flash memory like 8GB, after I downloaded from the LM7.ISO, I will burn into CD, and I will install the system into flash memory,haha

What do u think???

Andy Peng
I would like to install a live USB Gloria into a flash memory, too.
Do you know a quick way to do it? I'm a Linux newbie.
I did the same with LinuxMint 6, via unetbootin: all run smoothly.
Unfortunately, unetbootin does not have LinuxMint 7 yet.
I tried with image-writer, but it didn't work.
MatchStickMen

Post by MatchStickMen »

Is this the Linux OS that will replace Windows? could be, it has my vote...
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

MatchStickMen wrote:Is this the Linux OS that will replace Windows?
This is very possible. However it will take time and the transition will be slow. Right now the main reason for Windows being so popular is that it is so popular. And Linux is not very popular because it is not very popular. This happens because people really don't like to change. But it will come. Ubuntu has made a huge change here and I foresee Mint has a chance to make an even bigger change.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

Heraclitus wrote:
andypeng wrote:And I also have an idea, I am using company laptop HP 6910P, I would like to buy a flash memory like 8GB, after I downloaded from the LM7.ISO, I will burn into CD, and I will install the system into flash memory,haha

What do u think???

Andy Peng
Here's how you can do it from Windows:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/

if I recall, you can also do it from Mint itself. Try booting the Live Cd, then going to Synaptic and installing usb-creator. While you are still running the CD, open usb-creator and use it to install Mint 7 to a USB drive. That should create a persistent install with a 1 GB change file (casper-rw). If you want a larger casper-rw file, up to 4 GB, try the instructions at the bottom of the page above describing the install from Windows (that is, download a larger casper-rw .zip file and extract it onto your flash drive).
mdshaver

Post by mdshaver »

Today, I have switched from Ubuntu 9.04 to Linux Mint 7. I do really like the aesthetics of Linux Mint but I have run into a few snags that I did not encounter in Ubuntu. If anyone could shed some light on these issues, I would greatly appreciate it.

1) When I move an item to the trash (not delete), it does not go to the trash can. Rather, it is permanently deleted.

2) In nautilus, I have tried to bookmark folders so that they show up in "Places" but it seems that new bookmarks cannot be created.

3) i cannot find a GUI which allows me to add additional repositories and their associated keys.

4) When I close the Pidgin interface, it would minimize to the task bar and display IMs through Jaunty's new notifier. This does not seem to be the case with Mint.

Any comments on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

mdshaver wrote:i cannot find a GUI which allows me to add additional repositories and their associated keys.
This will give you back the GUI tool you had for this in Ubuntu.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install software-properties-gtk
If you want to add keys manually in the terminal here are directions. First refresh apt where you will get an error message for the missing key.

sudo apt-get update
You will see an error message caused by the invalid PGP key. All you have to do is retrieve the key. Then add it to your apt trusted keyring. You can do this by entering these commands.
As an example if the error message tells you that the missing KEY_ID is 60D11217247D1CFF, the exact command you have to enter is as follows.

gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 60D11217247D1CFF
That will tell gpg to retrieve the key from keyserver.ubuntu.com. Now you can export the key and save it to a file.

gpg --export --armor 60D11217247D1CFF > ooo.pgp
Your newly retrieved PGP is now saved to a file called ooo.pgp in your home directory. Then add the key to your trusted keyring using this command.

sudo apt-key add ooo.pgp
Last thing you will have to do is refresh apt's package information.

sudo apt-get update
Congrats you are done.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Lantesh wrote:
mdshaver wrote:i cannot find a GUI which allows me to add additional repositories and their associated keys.
This will give you back the GUI tool you had for this in Ubuntu.

sudo apt-get install software-properties-gtk
DO NOT USE THIS METHOD. As the release notes explain, software-properties-gtk has hard-coded references to ubuntu, so will not work on mint. You can add repos using synaptic's gui: Menu --> Package Manager --> Settings --> Repositories
spet

Post by spet »

Lantesh wrote: If you want to add keys manually in the terminal here are directions. First refresh apt where you will get an error message for the missing key.

sudo apt-get update
You will see an error message caused by the invalid PGP key. All you have to do is retrieve the key. Then add it to your apt trusted keyring. You can do this by entering these commands.
As an example if the error message tells you that the missing KEY_ID is 60D11217247D1CFF, the exact command you have to enter is as follows.
Instead of typing (copy/pasting) separate commands you could use the power of the command line. The following chains the rest of the process into "one" command and uses a variable for the key id so it only enters once:

KEY=60D11217247D1CFF gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key $KEY && gpg --export --armor $KEY | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update
This have the additional advantage, that it won't create a file in your home directory and mother always says: Keep your home clean :)

Remember that this only works for repos signed with keys uploaded to Ubuntu's keyserver, which includes all launchpad PPAs.
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

Mint is first-ranking on the watchlist on Distrowatch!!!
Nice work.
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
Heraclitus

Post by Heraclitus »

rlindsey0 wrote:
Heraclitus wrote:

What do u think???

Andy Peng
Here's how you can do it from Windows:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/

if I recall, you can also do it from Mint itself. Try booting the Live Cd, then going to Synaptic and installing usb-creator. While you are still running the CD, open usb-creator and use it to install Mint 7 to a USB drive. That should create a persistent install with a 1 GB change file (casper-rw). If you want a larger casper-rw file, up to 4 GB, try the instructions at the bottom of the page above describing the install from Windows (that is, download a larger casper-rw .zip file and extract it onto your flash drive).
Very kind of you. Thank you.
I'll post the result as soon as I try.
May be my tentative with image-writer failed because of the pen drive size (1GB) I used.
I did it because my previous attempt with Mint 6 (via unetbootin) was on a 1 GB pen drive.
I wonder if there is a way to reduce the casper-rw to a few tens of MB.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Its great that you could find help. :) However in the future it would be better to post support requests in the appropriate section on the forum. There is a huge support section where all support requests should go. This topic should be limited to our thoughts and impressions regarding Mint Gloria release. Otherwise we will create huge mess, which forum admins will have to clean up.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”