Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
mukmaster

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Post by mukmaster »

Zwopper wrote:
I think that should be #! Crunchbang Linux! :P
It was not an accidental mistake ;)
(though I very much like the no-nonsense approach with Crunchbang I had many crashes in the first days. After I changed my RAID settings the problems were over though)
professorsnapper

Post by professorsnapper »

I've yet to run / install LM7, but am looking fwd to doing so...

In the meantime, some small suggestions re: user guide:
- At the top of page 9, instructions are listed for accessing MD5 for windows. Instructions for Mac users might also be an idea...

- Use a more descriptive title for the user guide - instead of calling it "english.pdf", how about "LinuxMint7UserGuide(english).pdf" ? (and yes, I've already renamed mine so I can find it more easily)

Hurrah!
Snapper.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

great distro release, and yes finally a OS that detects 99% of all your drivers from the word go! :D
ive been a mint fan since LM6 and KDE M6, but what has come to my attention is that im unable to initiate all the eye candy, desktop cube etc on my linux box - COMPAQ EVO D510 SFF, has intel 845G chip set. :?:

i have also noticed quite a few people with intel drivers are having the same sort of issues? :?:
also is there a way to re-install all the downloaded updates (patches and all - i know you can use aptoncd - ) all automatically? the reason behind this is that i work away from home and dont have internet access in my room and dont want to spend all night installing each one manually!!
found that for some reason ext4 degraded the performance on my machine, so reverted back to ext3.
sorry for all the negative comments as im a newbie to linux and not very familiar with all the terminal prompts etc to tweak the system :oops:
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
professorsnapper

Post by professorsnapper »

Further to my other post just above...

In reading the user guide further, there are a number of places where instructions are given for Windows users, but not yet for Mac users...

I've made a start on redressing this, on a dedicated thread here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=26321

Feel free to add to this as you will!

Snapper.
Last edited by professorsnapper on Wed May 27, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Thank you to CLEM and ALL the developers!! :D
jni

Post by jni »

hey, first time i use linuxmint. Been told about it from a friend recently and just installed mint 7.

I gotta say i am VERY impressed by this distro, and its sure gonna be the one i'll use for many years! very nice work to all the dev team, this is awesome distro! :mrgreen:

thanks alot

Jni
supergoo

Post by supergoo »

Great Work Clem and Team, Its wonderful !!

Supergoo
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

abhilashkumar: I assume you're running a felicia system. The upgrade is non-trivial and not recommended, however Clem said in his release announcement that his next priority is an upgrader tool for felicia (followed by 64bit), so keep an eye out on the blog for it. The fact that ubuntu makes it so "easy" to upgrade is a bit strange, as there are numerous problems you're likely to run into by doing so, as they often use completely different software versions (e.g. openoffice) whose config files likely conflict each other.
nono

Post by nono »

I have not encountered problem updating from Gloria RC1...

By the way, i love the wall paper in the grub menu..
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

nono wrote: By the way, i love the wall paper in the grub menu..
Thank you! :)
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Newbiewon

Post by Newbiewon »

Clem,
You and your team have done what no other distribution I have seen, has done....you have captured our imagination and made the transition to Linux simple and useful right out of the box.
Great job!!!
newbiewonhttp://forums.linuxmint.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=17&t=26241#
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

i thought no question was silly enough to ask and would get some sort of feedback? the important question im after here is
"is there a way to re-install all the downloaded updates (patches and all - i know you can use aptoncd - ) all automatically? the reason behind this is that i work away from home and dont have internet access in my room and dont want to spend all night installing each one manually!!"
:oops:
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
colonelk

Post by colonelk »

Hi

Does Mint4Win work under Windows 7 RC ?

Tried it twice on an HP NC8000 machine running vanilla freshly installed Win7 and it works till the first reboot but then no grub menu installs and it boots straight back into Windows 7

It works fine on XP as I tried it on an old Evo N600C and it worked like a charm

Cheers for the distro, great work

CK
trident

Post by trident »

OMG! It turns out it was only my wireless card that was stopping me from running Intrepid/Jaunty-based distributions. A bit annoying since the Ebay listing for the card said specifically that it was Ubuntu compatible, so I hadn't suspected that it was this card causing the kernel panics on boot. But removing the card, installing Gloria, installing the driver with ndiswrapper (surely if it was actually Ubuntu-compatible as stated I wouldn't even need to use ndiswrapper...) and then rebooting with the card in works fine. Heck, even fglrx/compiz is working for now! So thanks to the team for this great release, I have to say the new theme has really grown on me and I'm definitely keeping it. Being able to install directly from mintMenu, as well as the featured applications in mintInstall that can be installed in one go, are great touches. In fact I'm itching to get back to Gloria now - I write this from openSUSE where I'm waiting for some torrents to finish (and seeding Gloria :D ) and then I intend to use Mint full time.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

ibm450 wrote:i thought no question was silly enough to ask and would get some sort of feedback? the important question im after here is
"is there a way to re-install all the downloaded updates (patches and all - i know you can use aptoncd - ) all automatically? the reason behind this is that i work away from home and dont have internet access in my room and dont want to spend all night installing each one manually!!"
:oops:
Certainly, on the other hand, you wouldn't expect to get help installing linux on a windows forum. Questions are much more likely to be answered if they're the only thing in a post, and the post is in the right forum category. In this case the thread is more for congratulating clem and the team on an excellent release, if you repost the problem as a new thread in, for example, Support --> Other topics (as it's a bit too edge-case to be a newbie problem), then you'll probably get an answer. Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but I'm sure someone will at least have some tips.
Katzedecimal

Post by Katzedecimal »

Total time from boot into install disc, install Gloria, download updates, and restore personal data from MintBackup archive..... Fifty minutes! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Generally I'm very pleased. I do have the sluggish Compiz issue and Firefox seems to be a greater memory hog than in Elyssa. CPU usage is way up from Elyssa, though, sitting around 12 - 20% usage as opposed to 2 - 7% in Elyssa, under the same usage. According to top and the system monitor, the other culprit seems to be PulseAudio. PulseAudio was broken in Hardy/Elyssa and would freeze my Elyssa system consistantly. I used to work around it by killing the PulseAudio process and running my system sound with ALSA, got much clearer sound that way too, not crackly and weak. I have crackly, weak PulseAudio sound again but it appears that PulseAudio is unkillable in Gloria (darnit! :twisted: )

On the plus side, no need to install SMB4K! - the Network function works now! Unlike a lot of Intel graphics users, although I have sluggish Compiz, I do have smooth video and Flash, including smooth YouTube. Generally and overall, I'm very happy with Gloria. I won't settle in too completely though, I want to give the 64bit edition a whirl on this machine, when it comes out :mrgreen:
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Post by eiver »

Yeah, I'm visiting this site every day and spend 2h staring at the screen and hitting the refresh button - hoping that this day will be the "Gloria 64-bit release day". :mrgreen:
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Been running Gloria for two days now and loving every minute.

Felicia would not accept my Sierra Mercury air card as a wireless modem without futzing around with modeswitch . Gloria recognized it on plug in and setup was easier than in Vista.

Also I have sound from the DVD player at good volume for the first time. Felicia just would not play nice with my Dell Intel sound system. Gloria does.

Just had to post to let Clem and the crew know how pleased I am with their product.
bobd07

Post by bobd07 »

Thank you for the outstanding work.This is the best one yet.
schizoid

Post by schizoid »

Been using Mint7 for a while (since RC1 release day) now and only a couple of minor problems that i think I've sorted so thanks very much to the dev team on another excellent release. :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”