Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby GuiH on Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:12 am

What about the x64 version??! I can't wait hahahha
GuiH
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby wobf58 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Great Job. Everything is working. Even got my USB speakers to work. There is only one thing left, the fingerprint reader. I have a DELL E6500 and I would like to get that to work. Any help is deeply appreciated.
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Marcush on Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:31 pm

smokeymtn_ron wrote:"Now lets set a challenge. How many can we convert to using it?"

You can count me in!! I was using the live cd for about a week, and one day got so mad at Windoze that I trashed it and installed "Gloria". Best move I ever made. This is the first time I have used Linux and it is GRRRREAT!!! :D :lol: :lol: :D

Nice to have you on board, Im new too.
There are 10 types of people in this world those who understand binary and those who don't.
Marcush
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JTJay on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:19 am

Earlier I had a dual boot installation LM 6 and XP, boot times were 50 sec (LM6) and 9-10 min, yes really!!! (XP). My HP Laptop is OLD, 512Mb, 60 Gb, 2,80 GHz,(2002) but still everything worked well with LM. I can do everything that needs to be done with computer. Last week I upgraded to Gloria and that went absolutely great, boot time is now 40 sec and all is working fine. Already recommended Gloria to my sister and colleagues. Thank you all for Great work !!!
I forgot to say that now I have only Gloria installed....
JTJay
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Metalcored00d on Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:07 am

Hello, this release looks awesome, I'd really love to try it

I also tested the newest version of Ubuntu lately. I was amazed to find out that
Ubuntu could detect my wireless network automatically.

--> I know Linux Mint is based upon Ubuntu

Does this mean the new Linux Mint (7) also has this "automatic" wireless network setting, like with most drivers and hardware compatible straight out of the box?

grtz
Metalcored00d
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deka316 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:08 am

:D Gloria is Sweeet! :D Thanks again to all who help Linux Mint stay fresh!
Linux Mint 10 Julia 64-bit
Toshiba Satellite L505-GS6000 AMD Turion™ II Dual-Core Mobile Processor M500
4GB DDR2 800MHz memory
ATI Raedon 4200
DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash drive
deka316
Level 2
Level 2

Postby T J Tulley on Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:08 pm

Once again, thanks and congratulations.

I did a new installation last night and it completed in ~45 minutes - previously an hour - and there were only 66 updates waiting - about ¼ hour - last time for Felicia there were over 100 and they took an hour.

I had tried to resize & create new partitions as required using GParted in Felicia beforehand but failed there. During installation this operation worked with no problems. I tried to name one as theo (=username) instead of /home, but forgot to insert / before it, and so failed in that detail. But it seems as though only prescribed values will be accepted there.

I appreciate improvements - Hibernate works nicely, Workplace switcher now identifies its workplaces - previously they were all Desk1 - and I've just discovered that dragging an application from one workplace to another actually works!

During installation, I entered a name for my computer but this doesn't appear - the default name was retained. Can I change it now? I have my personal coding method for this. [I'll post this in Newbies if there are no replies here].

The Installer could find no systems from which to import "accounts" - although Felicia is installed. I have successfully replaced the initial .mozilla and .mozilla-thunderbird folders (second attempt for the former) as well as .gramps but so far have failed to recover my old Tomboy Notes. Previously it has been sufficient to copy .tomboy and .tomboy.log.

Incidentally, after installation of Gloria I installed a very new version of Gramps from SourceForge - and this is working nicely with the data stored in the /home/theo/.gramps folder.

There have been no problems in mounting selected partitions from "Computer" - and with my main data store mounted, all my desktop links appeared and worked as soon as the saved Desktop folder from Felicia was pasted in. In Felicia I had first to open each one, as it originally appeared locked after inserting from Daryna. I still find desktop links for applications/utilities more convenient to use than MintMenu (from which I drag them).

I hope somebody may find some of this interesting!
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Etoja on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:53 pm

An absolutely stunning release! I've installed it several days ago with no problems whatsoever - not even a single video drivers issue, The latter is a pleasant surprize! The first hitchless installation in my 12 year span of Linux installing. :)
Thanks folks. The system is a pleasure to work with at the moment.
Etoja
Level 1
Level 1

Postby quebec88 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:25 am

Hi Everyone!

Last night, I took the plunge and I installed Linux Mint 7 on my home computer. No more XP Pro! So far, I'm loving it. This version of Linux is unbelievable! I couldn't believe how easy it was to install. Tonight, I took my Lenovo netbook and removed XP Home and I put on Ubuntu 9.04 Remix. I'm looking forward to the world of Linux........something that I was hesitant to do in the past, but this version of Linux Mint won me over!!

Thanks to all who made this release possible. You have done a wonderful job!!!

Dom
quebec88
Level 1
Level 1

Postby snodgrss1984 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:28 pm

hey why is the internet slower on the new system
snodgrss1984
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kevinrs on Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:21 am

Just to say a great new release. I have Mint 7 installed on both my Acer Aspire one as well as my old HP Omnibook 6100.

Mint works "out of the box" on both machine's. The only thing that dosnt work is the LED indicator for the wifi on the AAO. That I can live with until I get round to finding a way to restore it.

Nice one! Thanks to the Mint team for providing this release. :D
kevinrs
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tstreit on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:41 pm

I have been dual booting between Ubuntu Linux and Windows Vista for a long time now. I wouldn't really call it dual booting since I hadn't booted into Windows for about 5 months, but it was still there wasting my hard drive. I am happy to announce that I no longer am dual booting and I am only running Linux Mint 7! This has to be probably the most stable disto have been on thus far.

Awesome work to the Linux Mint Team!
tstreit
Level 1
Level 1

Postby snodgrss1984 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:04 am

ok obviously no help here
snodgrss1984
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!...re:snodgrss

Postby bobd07 on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 am

You might want to try posting this in one of the help forums.
bobd07
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:30 am

Yes - this is no support topic
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Leosghost on Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi ( Salut ) , Just joined ..Extremely impressed with both the main mint7 86 and the 64 rc 1 ..beautiful work ..kudos to Clem and all the team .. "chouette" OS ..
I have Mint 7 main installed on this " old machine" AMD 900 and 400 megs ram ..( it runs as smooth and as fast as a non "nlited" XP SP3 ..I have that in dual boot on the same HD ) and the out of the box support for multimedia/web is very well conceived ..
I did have kubuntu 9.04 but tweaked to the KDE3 interface ( the original KDE4 is not to my taste ..too much "bling" and too many "clicks" and "slide outs" to find anything easily..kubuntu 9.04 now looks like a juvenile hackers vista ulti' ) ..but best not to re-open that particular polemique here ..

..Mint 7 is so relaxing by comparison to use ..:) ..and très très élégant ..

I have it running via "live disc" on 2 more machines ..in 64 RC1 ( will install dual boot with vista 64 in "french" - came "preinstalled" with no OS disc but the inbuilt acer "recovery partition" with the machine :( installation will be a pain so as to preserve the vista MBR ) ..this weekend on acer M3710 -Intel duo E2220 64 , 4 gigs ram ) and ( main Mint 7 86 is "live disc" on acer M1100 AMD athlon x 2 64 with 3.5 gigs ram ..will dual boot there with Mint 7 on a second new HD with XP PRO SP3 "nlited" by yours truly in "english" ) ..
I need to stay with 'doze for adobe CS4 apps and 3D apps like maya and 3ds Max etc ..and much as we are pro open source ..blender and gimp cant yet substitute for whats on 'doze ..and Flash pro is unique ..and my son does cartoons in flash ..( his cartoons site is in dev .. when i've finished all these mint 7 installs ..i'll get back to tidying up his site and then It'll be on line in a few more days..he will join here as soon as his own site is up ..he wants to wait

..BTW if zwoppers avatar is accurate ? my son looks somewhat like a 16 year old version of you :)
My son has identical machines to mine ..I'll be installing Mint7 86 on his M1100 but on a fresh HD ( just bought 2 HD's today to make all of this easier ) ..putting the new Mint 7 on them ( it has to be done this way as some 3D apps under doze have to have a file on "C/" drive or they wont start ) ..he's very impressed with the look and feel of mint7 too ..and the open source ethic ..

Tomorrow's schedule ~
..we know a retired electrical engineer ..lives in an old folks home here ( Brittany , France ) with his wife both french ..he's 78 she's 76 ..he also speaks and reads writes esperanto ..he bought one of the acer M3710's i mentioned above ..he's never been on the web before ..i showed him the basics under vista64 ..installed him an AV ( free avg ) ..his machine lasted just 3 days before his vista 64installation was trashed by multiple virii ..:(
Nightmare to get it back working so i formatted his HD ( he only wants to send mails and surf etc in safety ) ..and installed Ubuntu 9.04 ..but IMO the ubuntu interface is still messy ( although way way better than vista ) ..so tomorrow afternoon he is getting mint 7 as the only OS ..the simple and clean interface is great ..the OS is very "user friendly" and the advantage is that i can put the firefox and thunderbird icons on the desktop ..and then increase their size so that older eyes can see them ..plus he knows that he he can come here and use the french threads for help if i'm not available when he needs advice or whatever ..

so ..Mint 7 is spreading ..even in rural Bretagne ..and to all ages ..superb OS ..again congrats and felicitations ..

An Irish guy living in France ..and who really appreciates all your work ..

PS ..someone asked in the XFCE threads viewtopic.php?f=110&t=23030 about how to get Icons ( Oo ? FF TBird etc ) onto desktop in Mint 7 gloria it's easy ..follow "zwoppers" instructions in that thread ..and once the icons are on the "launch panel" ..then "left click" dont release the click.. and "drag and drop" to the desktop ..on "release" you have copied the icon to your desktop ..then right click and stretch to resize ..very usefull for older eyes ..and puts your most used apps icons ( short cuts ) where you can see them easy ..double click them to launch the app.
Leosghost
Level 1
Level 1

Postby schiribizzolo on Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:01 pm

An amazing OS. I was surprised by the 10 minute installation on my laptop, on which Windows XP would take 25 minutes. When turned ON, Mind loaded within 50 seconds. Fantastic!!!!!

Great work guys and everything on my laptop works!!! Including the wheel for the sound. Keep up the good work.
I used to have Mandriva 2009 before, but Gloria gloriously beats any other Linux distribution I have ever tried until now (Fedora, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, OpenSuse, Mandriva). Mandriva was too slow.

Thanks for a great release.
Sridhar
schiribizzolo
Level 1
Level 1

Beautiful artwork!

Postby eyemeansit on Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:29 pm

The Login Screen is absolutely the most beautiful one I have ever seen... and in almost 10 years of distro-hopping, I've seen quite a few!
eyemeansit
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:18 am

Hello again, I just thought I would pop up and say thanks for Mint 7 which I have just managed to get hold of. It is superb barring one thing - the installer which, if you will excuse the pun is a ubiquitous disaster! 6 tries altogether, 3 with Mint and 3 with Ubuntu every one a failure (at about 94% I think) and I end up having to do practically everything by hand. Install grub, write out menu.lst, populate fstab. When the rest of the distro is so good how on earth can you allow this to happen? It is destroying it. Not only did it crash every time but it has a new built in wrinkle as well (in both Mint and Ubuntu) the dialog boxes are larger than the screen, making half the options invisible unless you are able to drag the box about which is not always possible.

I remember I had this same problem (the crashing not the dialog box size) when I installed Mint 6 Gnome and was told that it was because I had multiple partitions. Well surely I am not the only computer user with multiple partitions, in fact I would think the vast majority have this setup and Ubiquity should be able to cope.

What puzzles me even more is that the last version of Mint that I installed on this machine - XFCE CE had no problem whatsoever with my partition setup, and I thought the problem had been solved, then several months later it is back again.

I know you don't control Ubiquity, it is part of Ubuntu, but don't let this great distro (which is considerable superior to Ubuntu btw) be spoiled by this worthless tool.

Please do me and Mint a favour by addressing this. Ubiquity is open source, surely you must have somebody that can tweak it a ltttle bit so it actually does what it is supposed to?
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby eiver on Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:07 am

I still consider myself a newbie in the Linux world, so I can hardly understand everything you wrote. But this looks like a major repeatable problem, so maybe it would be good if you created a separate thread in the support section of the forum and describe in detail all the symptoms (an a solution if you have one).
Fortunately it does not affect everyone - there are many people who didn't have any problems.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements