Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" released!

Postby viking777 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:14 am

eiver wrote:I still consider myself a newbie in the Linux world, so I can hardly understand everything you wrote. But this looks like a major repeatable problem, so maybe it would be good if you created a separate thread in the support section of the forum and describe in detail all the symptoms (an a solution if you have one).
Fortunately it does not affect everyone - there are many people who didn't have any problems.

Under normal circumstances eiver you would be correct, but not in this case. Ubiquity has a shed load of bugs posted against it (685 last time I looked, going back at least 2 years) so I am not actually posting anything new, just bemoaning the fact that however often they are reported they never get fixed - at least my one doesn't. And it causes me an awful lot of hassle every time I install. As for a solution, there is so much trial and error involved it wouldn't make for pretty reading!
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby eiver on Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:33 am

I was just suggesting to make a separate topic out of that, because this topic is used by people to express their feelings about Gloria. This whole discussion about Ubiquity will simply vanish under a load of other posts. So if you just wanted to say how unhappy are you because LM 7 uses Ubiquity, then we are done. On the other hand, if you want to start a discussion with the devs or other users who have the same problems about how to solve the problem or maybe at least a workaround how ti install LM 7 despite the problem - then creating a new topic about that would be useful I think.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Postby edwinv on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:16 am

kevinrs wrote:Just to say a great new release. I have Mint 7 installed on both my Acer Aspire one as well as my old HP Omnibook 6100.

Mint works "out of the box" on both machine's. The only thing that dosnt work is the LED indicator for the wifi on the AAO. That I can live with until I get round to finding a way to restore it.

Nice one! Thanks to the Mint team for providing this release. :D

i think the card readers do not work as well - i also have an aspire one 150 - mint runs very well (as did unbuntu netbook) however card readers do not work (exept when a card is present at startup)

i hope ubuntu/mint will have a solution for this very soon
edwinv
Level 2
Level 2

Postby VK4BDJ on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:43 am

Hi All....saw an e-mail about Linux Mint 7 on an Amateur Radio website.....got curious and went hunting.....
d/l the Live CD....started it up and wow i Love the desktop colour....my favourite Green
have been using Ubuntu 9.04 for a while now but i would say Mint & leaves it for dead....
have installed on a 4.3ghz H/D for testing.....think i'll be changing from Ubuntu soon

David VK4BDJ
VK4BDJ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Eesaurus on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:34 am

Just recently moved back to Mint. Great work again, thanks very much! I really appreciate your effort!

I used Windows 7 a couple of months just out of curiousity. I guess it's ok system if one can live with those many applications (virus-, firewall-, bug-, defragmenting-, register cleaning-, etc. apps) you have to use to keep it running smoothly. I couldn't. Mint is for me. 8)
Eesaurus
Level 2
Level 2

Postby laruesa on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:01 pm

I'm a Linux Mint 7 newbie of about a week, but I installed the new X64 edition yesterday and have been using it. THUMBS UP!!! :D I'm so thrilled with Mint so far that I'm at a loss for words ... and that applies to the new version as well! Why, oh, why would ANYONE ever go back to Windows after experiencing this? Good job! ~ Suz
laruesa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby littleb on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:11 am

I'm pretty new to Mint,but was impressed when I used the Live cd on my desktop. I will definately change to Mint if the problem with ati cards is sorted and will be able to load it on my laptop
apart from that Keep up the good work
littleb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:18 am

littleb: the only problem with ATI cards I know of is that they dropped support for masses of cards back in February, if you're waiting for a fix, don't hold your breath, it won't happen. The good news is that ATI released the full specs of these cards, so the open-source driver should see massive improvements in the next year, some for Helena, hopefully it'll all be good by mint 9 LTS
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby littleb on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:48 am

littleb wrote:I'm pretty new to Mint,but was impressed when I used the Live cd on my desktop. I will definately change to Mint if the problem with ati cards is sorted and will be able to load it on my laptop
apart from that Keep up the good work

well I tried mint 6 on my laptop and that works like a dream! I,m still impressed and if I can get the hang of video conversion thats me converted for good!!9solved)
Last edited by littleb on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
littleb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bogeyman on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:29 pm

I had been on Mint 6 Main (live install) for about 4 weeks on an aging Gateway desktop (8 yrs old). Dual boot with XP. Liked what I saw, and MS has taken a back seat on this ole bus!!!! Being a closet masochist, Just for kicks, I ran the lazy man's upgrade to Gloria. Had my fingers and toes crossed the whole time. Encountered several errors during the course of the upgrade as well as a message suggesting that I run "liloconfig(8) when you complete this process and execute /sbin/lilo after this." I tried to do that and it would not let me. However, everything seems in place including my previous settings and documents, so consider me a happy camper!! WELL DONE to the folks that have created this software and who continue maintain it!!!!! :D
Bogeyman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eiver on Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:42 am

I did it. I finally installed Mint 7 32-bit. Unfortunately the 64-bit version will have to wait due to issues described below.

My first impression after I saw the screenshots was: "Oh no, not green!". But after I actually installed it - I must say I love it. I usually start my fun with Linux, by trying to customize the look. In LM6 there was nothing for me to customize, it looked simply perfect. I tried to change some things in LM7, but went back to the default settings including the default desktop, because everything is so perfectly arranged. Linux Mint is the first and only Linux distribution, which looks so aesthetic that there is no need to change anything. (of course this is a completely subjective opinion).

LM7 Pros:
- All Mint apps (they are really nice and I love the improvement since LM 6), however there is still much to be done - I would like to see some day mintInstall completely replace Synaptic Package Manager (right now although mintInstall supports apt, its is still not all functionality of Synaptic)
- The menu is a masterpiece. Even a complete newbie can start using the system immediately and without reading any documentation (I can't see how it could get even more user-friendly)
- Out of the box experience (Drives, codecs, Flash, etc.) You did it again

LM7 Cons:
- Security - Packages are still not signed (I know, I know, I read a lot about it on the forum). But I have a feeling, that Linux relies too much on fake security thanks to its unpopularity. This will change dramatically as LM gets more and more popular.

LM7 Cons: inherited from Ubuntu
- Most things I do not like in LM7 come from the latest Ubuntu rather than LM directly
- Despite my cry on the forums, no VPN packages made it to default LM7 installation
- I really need pptp VPN and it does not work in LM7 because of a bug in network-manager-pptp (from Ubuntu) - I will delay installation LM 7 64-bit on my laptop due to that (too bad, that such a small thing can ruin everything).

Other than that LM7 is a great distro and I never met person who would would be unhappy with Mint in comparison to their previous distrubution.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Postby emorrp1 on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:25 am

eiver wrote:- Security - Packages are still not signed (I know, I know, I read a lot about it on the forum). But I have a feeling, that Linux relies too much on fake security thanks to its unpopularity. This will change dramatically as LM gets more and more popular.

Well, the repositories are signed, which basically means any packages you install from them are from a trusted source, which is why it's ok for mint to override the unauthenticated warnings on the actual packages themselves. On the other hand, I have no idea why the packages are labelled as unauthenticated in the first place, hopefully it'll be fixed in the future.

eiver wrote:- Most things I do not like in LM7 come from the latest Ubuntu rather than LM directly
- Despite my cry on the forums, no VPN packages made it to default LM7 installation
- I really need pptp VPN and it does not work in LM7 because of a bug in network-manager-pptp (from Ubuntu) - I will delay installation LM 7 64-bit on my laptop due to that (too bad, that such a small thing can ruin everything).

Yeah, ubuntu's date-based release is often regression-happy which is annoying, but it's not going to change soon. Unfortunately there's only a limited amount of space on the CD (and package size is difficult to judge due to dependencies) and while the team tries to accommodate as many people as possible, sometimes problems that affect only a minority of the user base unfortunately cannot be solved. Hopefully this bug will be fixed in time for Helena.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Grimskallen on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:12 am

Congratulations on the great release! :D
Really works well, and i'm excited about the upcoming 64bit version!

I have one complaint though, its about time to refresh the screenshots, they are still showing Linux Mint 5...
The world needs to see the beauty of Linux Mint 7!
Grimskallen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Dalamar on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:31 pm

I installed Linux Mint 7 in my newly bought PC (Athlon X2 5200, 2 GB RAM, Emaxx board with nVidia 8200 graphics and 250 GB HD) and it works great! Thank you very much for this release! I eagerly await the KDE CE edition which I hope would be as awesome.
Dalamar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stringjunky on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:54 pm

'Gloria' has come out as the winner in a group test with: Quimo1, OpenSuse, PcLinuxOS, SimplyMepis and Fedora 11. in the current UK edition (issue 1060) of MicroMart magazine with OpenSuse a close second. Although Opensuse scored the same as Mint it lost out because it's not so straightforward for novices to use like Mint is.

Here's the reviewers conclusion on Mint 7: " Your choice of Linux will depend on your experience, requirements and how well your hardware is detected. Linux Mint was the clear winner for us because it installed and ran without any problems. It looks good, has great software and is easy to use. If you've never used Linux before you should try this one first."

Being a predominantley Windows user, I must say this edition of Mint is very impressive and cool looking...the addition of the signal -strength meter for Mobile internet, which is not in Felicia, is a great little touch as is the way everthing is laid out. I happily run Vista and Mint side-by-side utilizing their individual strengths but I can see, maybe by the time of the next LTS Mint, I shall fully migrate. The user-experience with Mint is much calmer and less high maintenance than Windows but, so far, it's the devil I know!.

To Clem and all the Mint team...Thanks for sharing your efforts. :D
stringjunky
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ibm450 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:50 am

Yeah, not bad...must admit i go back to mint after using Ubuntu. I would make the 100% switch only if the network manager could auto detect all variants of usb-wireless modems and configure them automatically. I know its WAY too much to ask as there is 1000's of modems out there, but it would be nice to see.

Other then that, great work :mrgreen:
Asus UL50VT laptop ~ LM10 - Unity 12.04 - Win 7
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Committed on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:15 pm

Hey, great job guys! Been running Ubuntu for some time and thought I'd check out Mint. Really like it so far. Not only that, but I think it's the one Linux flavor I think I can get my wife to use. Installing it on my kids machine as I type. Big thumbs up!
Committed
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Chloe on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:15 am

I just installed Gloria on my brand new HP Mini 110, and it works like a dream! I'm so impressed! I liked it so much when I tried it on my Live USB that I decided to go ahead and just wipe the Mini's Mobile Internet Experience OS -- it's also based on Ubuntu, but the dumbed-down interface was beginning to get on my nerves.

The install went without a hitch, and so far, everything works perfectly. Gloria even automatically adjusted to the somewhat strange screen resolution of the HP Mini (1024 X 576 instead of the more common 1024 X 600), which I was a little worried about. The desktop is clear, easy to see even on a small screen, and absolutely gorgeous. Great work! You have made a recent Windows refugee (my first ever experience with Linux was with Mint 6) very happy.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the XFCE edition of Mint 7 so I can update my geriatric E-machine! :D
Chloe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vajohn1308 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:51 am

I have to totally agree with all those who offered comments on this version. a HEARTY well done to all those who created it!!!
I have been using linux on and off in and have tried more than a few flavors. I have never before had a flavor that is a flat out no brainer to install. Not only that, but everything on my desktop system AND my new MSI GX620-001US notebook ( webcam- video card restricted drivers- wireless all installed and worked out of the box) works flawlessly. I was stunned and very pleased. I am seriously considering dumping window in favor of Mint 7 linux. Only using a few windows programs via WINE on my systems that i need for work.

Thanks again to all who collaborated on this wonderful release.
vajohn1308
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mmesantos1 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:49 pm

Check out this review from OS News!! Go Linux Mint 7. :)

http://www.osnews.com/story/21808/Linux ... s_Glorious
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements