Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" x64 released!

Releases and other announcements
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" x64 released!

Postby ESM on Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:58 am

Husse, I really hope that you made a joke. This version is brought out as the final version. So if any bugs are found I hope to see them as updates and not as a RC2.....
ESM
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby RedAnt on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:22 am

I read up on upgrading from RC to final release but is there a way to easy upgrade kernel from 32-bit to 64-bit Gloria?
I have Mint 7 Gloria 32-bit running but my machine features 8 GB of RAM and i wish to upgrade to a 64-bit release when it is now "out" on download. :)

Is there an option to hot upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit release following up with switching the 32-bit software to 64-bit demanded for a reeboot and then pointing out what software the user him/her-self must update to 64-bit versions? I understand this seemes messy and non standard way to perform major changes in the system but since Linux usually will update without a complete restart of the system i was wondering if this is entierly out of the question or just "doable" with given post-switch clean up jobb?
RedAnt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:53 am

There is no way to upgrade from 32 to 64 bits (at least that I know of)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby RedAnt on Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:31 am

Husse wrote:There is no way to upgrade from 32 to 64 bits (at least that I know of)

ok, i downloaded the x64 version, simply ran instalation from live boot and after choosing what partition to format again with ext4 i got the option to keep settings, among others this kept some plugins in firefox and favourites in gnome start menu (i have not checked all yet but i am downloading Ati Radeon drivers for x64 and Cedega for the moment) I also needed to update anyway cuz my brand new widescreen had messed up desktopsize in last install (performed with a old compaq 15" flatscreen) :D Now all seemes to work and i am updating as before in the new x64 version of my favorite dist. :)
RedAnt
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MarkusR on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:32 am

Yesterday I put together a new computer and installed both this release, and Windows XP 64-bit edition, as dual boot.

I would have to say that I absolutely love the ease and speed with which the Mint installed as compared to Windows. Much less total time, and many fewer interactions needed between the non-interactive portions of installs. Plus Mint has better partitioning support.

The only problem so far has been the WLAN setup. I have a year old WG311 card that ironically has no OEM drivers for XP 64-bit either. So the only problem I've had with Mint is the same I'm having with XP. I also used the Mint installation to download drivers, using the embedded NIC, for the MB that were needed by XP. I didn't have much time last night to figure out the WLAN, but I'm sure I'll get it working today (hopefully on both OS).

Edit (the next day): After trying to get the WLAN to work for a couple of hours, I decided to reinstall Mint, this time with the WLAN card installed. I'm happy to say it installed perfectly and selecting and logging into the wireless router was matter of two clicks and a password entry. (I did also manage to get it to work under XP, but that had it's own troubles.)
MarkusR
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements