Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
big_dog1968

Problem with sound

Post by big_dog1968 »

Post moved to bug thread. :D
Last edited by big_dog1968 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richyrich

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Post by richyrich »

Ummm . . this is the "Global Announcement" thread, (read the first post!) shouldn't you folks be posting these problems in the KDE Bug thread?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=28765
condowax

Post by condowax »

I recently installed Pardus on my laptop and I was amazed at Kaptan, an application that shows up on your first boot and helps you configure your system. I was wondering if maybe mint could include a tool like this one. Kaptan allows you to configure things like right-handed or left-handed mouse, theme, what launcher to use (kick-off, lancelot or classic), network connection, wallpaper and other things you would usually configure yourself after an install. A tool like this would take mint to a higher level of user friendliness and make setting it up much easier for new users. It seems to me that this is the only thing mint is missing to be a perfect os.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

violetta wrote:Hi, I am new around here and I registered just for asking (n00b) question... :D
Since I am looking for my new favorite distro and KDE4 in Ubuntu... well... sucks, and I really am a fan of DEB based distros I bumped to LinuxMint...
What I want to ask is... how different is KDE4 release in compare to Kubuntu or Debian testing... is it based on some of his packages or it has been built directly from KDE sources?
Kubuntu's KDE is fairly unusable... and Debian, because of it's policy of security and stability not always have newer versions...
I just think that LinuxMint KDE4 might be answer to my prays :mrgreen:
Kubuntu is crap. Mint is a top KDE distro IMO.

The only real way for you to know is to try it.

Another possibility is Pardus, which I've been using for a few days and I really like it, but it's not Deb based.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

violetta wrote:
markcynt wrote: Kubuntu is crap. Mint is a top KDE distro IMO.
The only real way for you to know is to try it.
Heh.. yeah... I tried it... :roll: installed yesterday...
Since this morning I had 2-3 hangups... screen goes black or computer became unresponsive...
(both with and w/o composite enabled)
Only cold reset do a job... :shock:
On X.org.log.old nothing to give a clue what happend...
It is not hardware issue, I had used Ubuntu jaunty with Gnome without ANY problems.

Anyway... I notice something...
howcome Kubuntu is crap and Mint's KDE is so good when I have same packages as in Kubuntu jaunty from PPA repo?
Just because Gnome works good does not mean KDE will.

KDE needs better hardware. Mint KDE runs flawlessly on my computer with everything enabled.

So maybe you need better hardware to run KDE.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

The Mint KDE is from a kubuntu ppa repo so it is kubuntu but just a more updated version than the kubuntu standard update repo.
debian would have an older version of KDE for stability reasons, but they all come from the same source KDE files.

In Mint KDE we add more packages than kubuntu since we are not limiting ourselves to a CD.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
romabacor

Post by romabacor »

Mint KDE is the best, I used kubuntu 9.04 but always it has problems or many crash..........., linux mint kde is excellent.... thank you very much
Excuse my english ..............
keep the good work MINT guys. Regards from Chile :D :D :D :D :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

i just happen to hate kde. I find it slow and ugly
Gee thanks, we will definitely use that for our next release. :lol: :D :lol:
olligod

Gloria KDE final versus RC1

Post by olligod »

I just happen to love KDE!

Actually one regression in Gloria-KDE: Printing to PDF is an issue ONLY IN THE KDE VERSION of Gloria.
In both other main Gloria Versions (XFCE, Gnome), Printing to PDF works just fine.

I actually tried to throw out and reconfigure cups-PDF printer.
This included the standard printer admin interface on http://localhost:631 - to no avail.

ONE PRAISE - and thankyou for the following:

I have NEVER seen Konqueror SOO multimedia capable as in Mint-KDE.
We all know Konqueror has its rendering issues (I believe mainly related to Javascript and friends).
BUT I could watch movies on SO many different sites (take CNN or NYtimes for example but many more)
as was NEVER possible before (and still IS not possible out of the Box in any other deb based distros including Kubuntu 9.04).

Thank You!

To me, Konqui seems the unwanted child in the KDE community: Many people use workarounds or replacements:
Dolphin and possibly Arora or Non-QT-Applications.
Konqueror was designed as a multifunctional tool - the "zeitgeist" may be against ist today -
but it still has its merits. Some like integrated multi-functional software tools.
Konqui IS very good software and we ought to keep it and nurture it!

Thank you again.
(and hoping, if possible, for a final Gloria-KDE release with working cups-PDF if possible)

olligod
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

cups print to pdf is an apparmor problem.
there is a fix posted some where i think.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
olligod

cups-PDF Fix: imperfect but working

Post by olligod »

Boo wrote:cups print to pdf is an apparmor problem.
there is a fix posted some where i think.

Boo

Found the fix and would like to help out.
Moved to the BUG thread :wink:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 26#p174626
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

xCs wrote:Question: Will it be a 64bit KDE version ? I like the Linux Mint Gloria KDE but I need a 64bit one ..... :(
As far as I know there won't be a 64bit edition of the LM 7 KDE CE. You can also run the 32bit on that machine of yours i guess. So why would you specific need a 64bit? I even run a 32bit on my 64bit laptop. :)
olligod

Post by olligod »

Mathius Quest wrote:
xCs wrote:Question: Will it be a 64bit KDE version ? I like the Linux Mint Gloria KDE but I need a 64bit one ..... :(
As far as I know there won't be a 64bit edition of the LM 7 KDE CE. You can also run the 32bit on that machine of yours i guess. So why would you specific need a 64bit? I even run a 32bit on my 64bit laptop. :)
Memory as one important reason! More than 4GB RAM are not that unusual anymore.
There is a reason that there IS a 64bit-Version of Mint/Gnome. That one actually works nicely.
deboned

Post by deboned »

nice distro, i like the theme the gui and the icon, compact and such.... if only i can make the proxy and authentication work .. is there a way ? by the way im a supernoob.. :D
andy06

Post by andy06 »

Any indicative release date or rough timeframe?

Thanks

Return to “Releases & Announcements”