Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
loetje

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Post by loetje »

Hi, do you also have a fluxbox release planned for Gloria?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Hi, do you also have a fluxbox release planned for Gloria?
Yes, LinuxMint 7 Fluxbox CE is planned. Last I heard, Shane was taking final exams, so it might be a while.
atonz

Post by atonz »

Have 1GB Ram 1.73 GHZ celeron laptop. Im not much of a hardware expert but do you guys think an upgrade would give me some more noticeable speed? If so what should I get upgraded?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

atonz, your hardware specs look pretty decent to me.
doomed

Post by doomed »

curruntly im on mint kde 6, and am having problems with firefox ramderly closing down, no picture for video in preview mode, and a bit of distortion in video play back.

Are these problems in kde 7?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

doomed, try the Live CD out for a while before you decide to do an install. I have not found any problems with Firefox but make sure your hardware works well with the new release before you actually install to hard drive. :D
Steely

Post by Steely »

Hi

Are kwin desktop effects enabled or disabled ? If they are enabled try disabling them by going to System Settings and then Desktop and disabling them there . Reboot and see if the boot time to a full desktop is any faster. For anyone experiencing slow boots please post the information in the KDE RC 1 Bug Thread.

Thanks

Dale
bezzy

Post by bezzy »

Hi all, great OS best Linux I have used and the best for moving Window$ users because of its ease of use.

Any ideas (ballpark) when Gloria KDE will be released? I am using Gloria Gnome with KDE manually added, I would love to use a KDE setup from the Mint team, but due to Bandwidth constraints I would prefer to download the finished product.

Thanks for a great product.
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ddavid123 »

I have Linux Mint 7 KDE RC edition running in Virtual Box now! Everything is looking very slick and smooth! The fit and polish has been improved significantly since Felicia KDE. I am glad the water drop wallpaper was carried through to KDE version, as it gives the idea of continuity. It took me a while to warm up to the new KDE 4 release, but now I am liking it more and more! I would like to see the same feature as in the main edition in the KDE one also! The feature is the ability to right click on an applications menu "icon" and uninstall! That may well be just a Gnome feature, though.

One thing I would like to see changed, is the printer test page. When you do a test page in KDE, and Gnome I think, Ubuntu's logo is at the top of the page! I think Ubuntu is a great distro, but this is Mint, with distinct features and styles! In short, I would like to see the text, Ubuntu, removed from any and all parts of the OS, and replace it with the official "Linux Mint" banner!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

One thing I would like to see changed, is the printer test page. When you do a test page in KDE, and Gnome I think, Ubuntu's logo is at the top of the page!
Nice find! My printer has not worked for a long time so I never noticed this. Thanks!
Brian66

Post by Brian66 »

Thanks Boo and Clem. This has to be the best KDE 4 I have ever try so far. Beautiful and stable. You guys are wonderful programmers. Keep up the great work.
rldev

Post by rldev »

Very impressive distro. Everything worked with the exception of video. xorg not seeing my intel GMA 950 video card on laptop.
Hence small resolution.
Dalamar

Post by Dalamar »

I have downloaded it and run it in a USB drive via UNetBootin. I don’t know yet if my previous problem with Kubuntu 9.04 has disappeared (after installing proprietary video drivers, sound in Flash disappears) but I have some comments that might improve the KDE CE experience.

1. The bootsplash doesn’t looks good. Kubuntu, with it’s thin blue progress bar was way better. My suggestion is apply some aesthetic makeover.

2. While the desktop is loading, several icons appear (I don’t know what this process is called.) Now the icons are good, but then the LM KDE CE appears and it seems out of place. It’s larger than the rest and sticks out badly because it doesn’t look up to date. I suggest a remake of the LM icon for the KDE CE.

3. I have tried LM 7 and I find the Mint Menu excellent. Everything is well placed and well thought of. Perhaps a similar menu can be implemented in KDE CE.

4. Last but not the least, I suggest a program similar to Mint Install that will take care of how the desktop looks and feels. Some customized themes that bundles complementary icons, wallpaper, etc should be available from the start (perhaps selected upon install?), and downloadable themes should be made available. The reason for this is that I, like many new users to Linux, feel that the appearance is not modern enough. KDE 4 looks modern, and I think by implementing customized themes, it’ll be better because the new user won’t be forced to hunt down HOW to do it. I look at some user’s customized desktops and turn green with envy.

My suggestions are mainly aesthetic in nature, but I guess these strike at the heart of what Linux Mint exhorts: elegance.
andy06

Post by andy06 »

I downloaded and tried the RC1, I second Dalamar. The bootsplash and loading process needs a makeover. Its not bad, just lacks the polish of everything else and since it will be the first thing users see, the first impression counts.

Apart from that, quite simply the best KDE distro.
Any prospective release date windows? :D
M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

Guys, there is a topic where you can post the bugs in that you found in the Linux Mint 7 KDE CE:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=28765

It's better to mention it in that topic so we can keep it all together. :)
rldev

Post by rldev »

I am running RC1 in Virtualbox 3 with 2 major problems.

1. Can't get nvidia 6500se to work.

2. mintUpdates crashes the system every time.
JHan816

Post by JHan816 »

Hello All!
This is my first post here. As a new user of Linux I have tried several other versions and I just wanted to say how well Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" has worked for me.
I am running on a Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with Linux installed on a USB pendrive with 1GB persistent space just to try. Everything runs very well, no problems so far.
Next step is a full install and the fun begins....

Thanks,
John
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Welcome to the forum JHan816! Glad to hear about your good experience with the KDE CE.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

For those that posted regarding the print screen issue. Boo has provided the solution.
printscreen does not open ksnapshot.
fix:
System Settings --> Input Actions
Right click left window --> New Global Shortcut > Command/URL
Give hotkey a name: KSnapshot
Add a commet "Print screen key to open ksnapshot"
Action: ksnapshot
Trigger: left click on button, press "prtscn" to assign key.
Apply
I followed Boo's instructions and the feature is working fine on my system. I thought I would pass this along so anyone wanting the fix now could apply it to their system. Thank you to those that noticed and reported this issue.
Shadowriser

Post by Shadowriser »

As much as I hate Skype in Linux that is not LinuxMint's fault. I have to say I am in love with Gnome and KDE flavors. Using KDE on my main box when not in crapdows playing Evercrack. Keep up the good work :D

Return to “Releases & Announcements”