Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Postby Korbu on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:49 am

I have something to ask about the KDE edition of Linux Mint.

Will there ever be a 64-bit edition of the KDE?

Thank you
Korbu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby exploder on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:54 am

Sorry, there are no plans of a 64 bit version at this time.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby axel668 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:08 pm

A question: I already got Gloria Gnome version. Could someone post the address of the KDE apt repositories, so that I can try just add it to my existing installation ?
Thanks in advance ...

Also got an answer for you guys, in return:
hey i just installed this and my wifi doesnt work, it worked just fine in the gnome version ,

This is an issue with KDE4 network widget / applet / whatever. In Kubuntu I could solve it by just installing the network-manager-gnome package. Then run nm-applet (from terminal or add to autostart). This "hack" gives you the Gnome Network Manager applet in KDE. Not as ugly as you would think, and it does the job. (It's also in the official screenshot, if I am not mistaken) :D
“A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila” (Mitch Ratcliffe)
axel668
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Korbu on Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:12 pm

exploder wrote:

Sorry, there are no plans of a 64 bit version at this time.

Thank you for the quick reply

I hope there will be future plans for it :)
Korbu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby loetje on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi, do you also have a fluxbox release planned for Gloria?
loetje
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi, do you also have a fluxbox release planned for Gloria?

Yes, LinuxMint 7 Fluxbox CE is planned. Last I heard, Shane was taking final exams, so it might be a while.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby atonz on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Have 1GB Ram 1.73 GHZ celeron laptop. Im not much of a hardware expert but do you guys think an upgrade would give me some more noticeable speed? If so what should I get upgraded?
atonz
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:03 pm

atonz, your hardware specs look pretty decent to me.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby doomed on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:18 pm

curruntly im on mint kde 6, and am having problems with firefox ramderly closing down, no picture for video in preview mode, and a bit of distortion in video play back.

Are these problems in kde 7?
doomed
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:53 pm

doomed, try the Live CD out for a while before you decide to do an install. I have not found any problems with Firefox but make sure your hardware works well with the new release before you actually install to hard drive. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby OllyUK on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:00 am

Firstly, Condradulation to you all for another fantastic release of Linux Mint KDE!!

Just installed last night on my main machine (core 2 duo, 4gb ram, geforce 260). With no problems or errors!!
Mint 7 has install fine, just like mint 6 kde did. Due to the determination, diligence and hard work of Boo, Exploder and others in building a fine operating system. "A hundred times better than Mickysofts current offerings" :P

----
:idea:
One suggestions for the final release is the inclusion of Wine and maybe a simple gui process of installing windows software on the Mint OS. I suggest this because no other distro that I've tried includes this. It really wouldn't be that hard to do, but would attract and provide new comers to Linux the ability to use most of their existing software from the windows environment, but on a more powerful and supperior operating system.
----

Any way, in conclusion, Well Done to all of you!
And keep up the good work!!

Olly
:mrgreen:
OllyUK
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Trochanterica on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 pm

I have been using Gloria KDE on my insp 1525 core2 1.66 4 mb ram for a week now, and am experiencing serious issues. MD5 was fine, the live dvd was fine. Put it on the machine, dual boot with vista32, let mint set up the partition(30gb). Sometimes it will freeze up right when the welcome to mint screen pops up after login, and sometimes it will wait until I'm good and involved in a project to freeze. All widgits stop and everything freezes, but I can still control, not click, the pointer. I love this interface. The whole thing is gorgeous, but I cannot use it. Any suggestions?
Trochanterica
Level 1
Level 1

Postby windmonger on Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:47 pm

I have always preferred gnome to KDE, which I liken to a woman wearing too many trinkets. But this release convinces me that KDE can be both pretty and intelligent. My only gripe is the VERY SLOW BOOT on my netbook. From grub to desktop with wifi is 1 minute, 45 seconds.

I have disabled all but the most essential services and have applied other tweaks but to no avail. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If this is how slow KDE is in Linux Mint, I will have to revert to Mandriva as my secondary platform (my primary is still Ubuntu Netbook Remix).
windmonger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Steely on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:37 am

Hi

Are kwin desktop effects enabled or disabled ? If they are enabled try disabling them by going to System Settings and then Desktop and disabling them there . Reboot and see if the boot time to a full desktop is any faster. For anyone experiencing slow boots please post the information in the KDE RC 1 Bug Thread.

Thanks

Dale
Steely
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bezzy on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:32 am

Hi all, great OS best Linux I have used and the best for moving Window$ users because of its ease of use.

Any ideas (ballpark) when Gloria KDE will be released? I am using Gloria Gnome with KDE manually added, I would love to use a KDE setup from the Mint team, but due to Bandwidth constraints I would prefer to download the finished product.

Thanks for a great product.
bezzy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby windmonger on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:51 am

Steely wrote:Hi

Are kwin desktop effects enabled or disabled ? If they are enabled try disabling them by going to System Settings and then Desktop and disabling them there . Reboot and see if the boot time to a full desktop is any faster. For anyone experiencing slow boots please post the information in the KDE RC 1 Bug Thread.

Thanks

Dale

Thanks for your suggestion. I kept desktop effects enabled but replaced the Mint KDE usplash theme (plasmoids against black) with the simple black against white progress bar. This reduced boot time (grub to desktop with wifi) to 1 min, 15 seconds from 1.45 previously. Big improvement but still it's longer than the 45 seconds boot I was getting with Linux 7 gnome edition.

Disabling desktop effects does nothing, as far as I can observe. One thing that struck me was that the progress bar would pause for a long time at about 80%. I've not found a way to display boot in verbose mode so I still have no idea what's causing the lengthy pause.
windmonger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ddavid123 on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:54 am

I have Linux Mint 7 KDE RC edition running in Virtual Box now! Everything is looking very slick and smooth! The fit and polish has been improved significantly since Felicia KDE. I am glad the water drop wallpaper was carried through to KDE version, as it gives the idea of continuity. It took me a while to warm up to the new KDE 4 release, but now I am liking it more and more! I would like to see the same feature as in the main edition in the KDE one also! The feature is the ability to right click on an applications menu "icon" and uninstall! That may well be just a Gnome feature, though.

One thing I would like to see changed, is the printer test page. When you do a test page in KDE, and Gnome I think, Ubuntu's logo is at the top of the page! I think Ubuntu is a great distro, but this is Mint, with distinct features and styles! In short, I would like to see the text, Ubuntu, removed from any and all parts of the OS, and replace it with the official "Linux Mint" banner!

Microsoft Windows, as easy to break as it's name suggests!

Linux, as cool as cool can get!
ddavid123
Level 2
Level 2

Postby exploder on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:41 pm

One thing I would like to see changed, is the printer test page. When you do a test page in KDE, and Gnome I think, Ubuntu's logo is at the top of the page!

Nice find! My printer has not worked for a long time so I never noticed this. Thanks!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Masked_Avenger on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:08 am

mikesol wrote:Hello

I have Gloria with gnome, but I want to try KDE. It's possible use both graphical managers without any conflict?

Thanks a lot.

Hi:

I don't know about Mint's KDE but since it's based on Ubuntu, It is possible to do it.
I've done it in Ubuntu a number of times.

Just go to Synaptic and find KDE Desktop or KDE 4.2 click install.

But when it asks do you want to run as your default Display Mgr gdm or kdm, since your base is gnome pick gdm or you'll fry your install.

After the install in your boot screen go down and pick which scheme you want to run, if you want to make it default or only for that one time.
Then your good to go.

You can always change your Scheme later. Hope that helps.
Those things that lie ahead of us.
And those things that lie behind us.
Are tiny matters compared to those things that lie within us.

Author: Unknown
Masked_Avenger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Masked_Avenger on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:16 am

Simply put.

FANTASTIC....

This is the only Linux OS that will work completely OOTB On my DELL Inspiron 1545 Laptop.
Not a problem 1.

No matter if it is the Gnome Version of Gloria or KDE rc1.

I'm using KDE rc1 because I prefer it over Gnome, I about went Crazy when I seen they finally released Gloria in KDE, at the time I was running Mint KDE 6, after checking out Gloria in Gnome.

Thanks Everybody for a GREAT OS..... 8)
Those things that lie ahead of us.
And those things that lie behind us.
Are tiny matters compared to those things that lie within us.

Author: Unknown
Masked_Avenger
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements