Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" KDE RC1 released!

Postby Brian66 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks Boo and Clem. This has to be the best KDE 4 I have ever try so far. Beautiful and stable. You guys are wonderful programmers. Keep up the great work.
Brian66
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Kold Foot on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:33 pm

Fantastic RC!!! I love KDE and Mint 7 KDE is by far the best!!! I too would love to see the right click uninstall feature to be added to the KDE version also. There does seem to be a bug with the Mananger for the Splash Screen tab. I can't install any of the other Splash Screens.
Kold Foot
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rldev on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:25 am

Very impressive distro. Everything worked with the exception of video. xorg not seeing my intel GMA 950 video card on laptop.
Hence small resolution.
rldev
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Dalamar on Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 am

I have downloaded it and run it in a USB drive via UNetBootin. I don’t know yet if my previous problem with Kubuntu 9.04 has disappeared (after installing proprietary video drivers, sound in Flash disappears) but I have some comments that might improve the KDE CE experience.

1. The bootsplash doesn’t looks good. Kubuntu, with it’s thin blue progress bar was way better. My suggestion is apply some aesthetic makeover.

2. While the desktop is loading, several icons appear (I don’t know what this process is called.) Now the icons are good, but then the LM KDE CE appears and it seems out of place. It’s larger than the rest and sticks out badly because it doesn’t look up to date. I suggest a remake of the LM icon for the KDE CE.

3. I have tried LM 7 and I find the Mint Menu excellent. Everything is well placed and well thought of. Perhaps a similar menu can be implemented in KDE CE.

4. Last but not the least, I suggest a program similar to Mint Install that will take care of how the desktop looks and feels. Some customized themes that bundles complementary icons, wallpaper, etc should be available from the start (perhaps selected upon install?), and downloadable themes should be made available. The reason for this is that I, like many new users to Linux, feel that the appearance is not modern enough. KDE 4 looks modern, and I think by implementing customized themes, it’ll be better because the new user won’t be forced to hunt down HOW to do it. I look at some user’s customized desktops and turn green with envy.

My suggestions are mainly aesthetic in nature, but I guess these strike at the heart of what Linux Mint exhorts: elegance.
Dalamar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby andy06 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:34 pm

I downloaded and tried the RC1, I second Dalamar. The bootsplash and loading process needs a makeover. Its not bad, just lacks the polish of everything else and since it will be the first thing users see, the first impression counts.

Apart from that, quite simply the best KDE distro.
Any prospective release date windows? :D
andy06
Level 1
Level 1

Postby OllyUK on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:22 pm

Ah. Maybe I spoke too soon.

Guys, I have noticed a problem with the display manager and or video driver. I tried installing this on a laptop with ati radeon x200 graphics and all went well. Rebooted into installed system but moments after starting to use KDE, the display froze followed by vertical stripy lines, at which point I tried crtl+alt+F4 to try and escape to the terminal prompt but the system was completely frozen. This has now happened a number of times. I'm not sure if this is just limited to ati graphics, but all I can say is that it's worked perfectly with mint 6 kde for the last 3 months flawlessly.

Mint KDE team, I'd take a quick look at what has been changed in the display manager packages just to see if there are any problems there that could cause this. I'll try installing again and try the propritary drivers just to see if that helps. But this is a common problem I've had with all Ubuntu based distros on this laptop (Fujitsu amilo 1650), apart from mint 6 kde.
OllyUK
Level 1
Level 1

Postby windmonger on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 am

I have encountered a different kind of display problem. Although I've selected Droid 10 as default font across-the-board, Firefox displays larger fonts on the tool bar, menu and tabs. The same problem occurs in other applications. There seems no option as well to fix the dpi, which makes the distro look quite unattractive on the whole. I have given up. I have uninstalled Linux Mint 7 KDE RC1 and replaced it with CrunchBang 9.04.1. I do not think I shall be going back to Mint any time soon.
windmonger
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mr. B on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:10 am

Guys, there is a topic where you can post the bugs in that you found in the Linux Mint 7 KDE CE:

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=28765

It's better to mention it in that topic so we can keep it all together. :)
Mr. B
Level 3
Level 3

Postby bytefang on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:27 pm

Looks great and working great on my HP2133 netbook.

Thank you so much for this wonderful distro.
bytefang
Level 1
Level 1

Postby imgfabio on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 am

Hi everyone...
i'm using linux mint 7 gloria gnome,
but i like kde and as soon as possible, i woul like to install gloria kde ce,
but, i have 3 question... =D
1_ it will be possible to install kde 4.3 on gloria kde? may be using the repo for kubuntu?
or you will have the repo for mint edition?

2_ before linux mint, i used kubuntu,
and all my hardware works perfectly..so...for linux mint kde ce will be the same, right?
the base is kubuntu/ubuntu? like the gnome one, right...?

3_ and in the end... =D
ubuntu, has some problem with pulse audio, like in skype, the cpu goes 100%, and temperature 80/90°...
some one have this problem with gloria kde? or gloria gnome? i'm scared to try... =D

ps..sorry for my english, i'm italian...=D

many thanks...
bye bye
fabio
imgfabio
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rldev on Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:45 am

I am running RC1 in Virtualbox 3 with 2 major problems.

1. Can't get nvidia 6500se to work.

2. mintUpdates crashes the system every time.
rldev
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Harmonytechie on Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:42 pm

wow! what a great O/S the only problem i have had so far was. i cant get my printer( canon pixma mx 320) to work i downloaded the driver ibve got it to work in glorira gnome. but not kde.i cant get it to share from a windows ether gnome or kde. t other then that i love this sistem i think its the best kde distro out there. thanks
bu
Harmonytechie
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shawndoggy on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Finally, a KDE distro that just works with the Nvidia 9400 onboard graphics on my GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard. Installed the nvidia drivers from synaptic, restarted the x-server (cntl-alt-backspace) and voila, 1440x900 widescreen graphics! I've gone through 6 different distros trying to get this to work, and with LM7 KDE I was up and running within 25 minutes (from booting the install disk to having fully functional Nvidia 9400 graphics using the nvidia driver).

Awesome. Spend another 2 minutes editing GRUB using the GUI in settings/advanced to make the vista partition primary and installing KDENLIVE, and now I've got a sweet movie editing platform.

Now if it were just 64 bit....
shawndoggy
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JHan816 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:33 pm

Hello All!
This is my first post here. As a new user of Linux I have tried several other versions and I just wanted to say how well Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" has worked for me.
I am running on a Acer Aspire 5100 laptop with Linux installed on a USB pendrive with 1GB persistent space just to try. Everything runs very well, no problems so far.
Next step is a full install and the fun begins....

Thanks,
John
JHan816
Level 1
Level 1

Postby exploder on Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Welcome to the forum JHan816! Glad to hear about your good experience with the KDE CE.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby exploder on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:01 am

For those that posted regarding the print screen issue. Boo has provided the solution.

printscreen does not open ksnapshot.
fix:
System Settings --> Input Actions
Right click left window --> New Global Shortcut > Command/URL
Give hotkey a name: KSnapshot
Add a commet "Print screen key to open ksnapshot"
Action: ksnapshot
Trigger: left click on button, press "prtscn" to assign key.
Apply

I followed Boo's instructions and the feature is working fine on my system. I thought I would pass this along so anyone wanting the fix now could apply it to their system. Thank you to those that noticed and reported this issue.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby Shadowriser on Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:46 am

As much as I hate Skype in Linux that is not LinuxMint's fault. I have to say I am in love with Gnome and KDE flavors. Using KDE on my main box when not in crapdows playing Evercrack. Keep up the good work :D
AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz
ASRock M3A785GMH
OCZ Vertex 32 GB boot drive
ATI 5770 (WTB better drivers)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3
Shadowriser
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with sound

Postby big_dog1968 on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:20 pm

Post moved to bug thread. :D
Last edited by big_dog1968 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big_dog1968
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Chastain on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:37 pm

I have been running Mint KDE 7 RC for about a month. The only problem I have it that when more than 4 windows are open on any one desk top, the system crashes. This stops when I turn off desk top effects. My test computer is a Sony Vaio laptop Centrino Duo 2.45 mhz 3 gigs ram. Is any others having this trouble. I good way that I have had this happen is when I bring up xsane
Chastain
Level 1
Level 1

Postby richyrich on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Ummm . . this is the "Global Announcement" thread, (read the first post!) shouldn't you folks be posting these problems in the KDE Bug thread?

viewtopic.php?f=143&t=28765
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements