Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
z06gal

Re: Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Post by z06gal »

Can someone tell me how to enable wireless on kde? I have edited my connection and put in the info but it is not even searching for wireless. I did not have this trouble at all with LM7. Thanks.

Robin
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Hi Robin,
Sorry for the dumb answer . Image . . but have you tried rebooting your router ? I'm an IT guy, and I don't know how many times this has fixed wireless problems.
The KDE CE Edition uses the exact same network manager as the Mint Main (Gnome) Edition.

If you still have problems, I would suggest starting a new thread in the Networking section in the Support forum.

regards, Richy
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Thanks! I had not even considered that but I will give it a shot. :wink:

Robin
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Hi Richy,

I rebooted and it still is not enabled. I ran hardware drivers and it recommended that I activate the very same driver I have on LM 7 but when I click on activate, it starts downloading but a yellow box with an exclamation point comes up and says "sorry." Lol. What does that mean? I really want to us LM kde if you can offer more advice on what I need to do. Thanks for your help.

Robin
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Boo,

Brilliant Job :) :) :)

Congrats!!!

Best Linux Distro Linux KDE 4x
Best quality like Debian 5 lenny KDE 3.5.10

Home, only wired connections (ADSL - CABLE) - of course, OK!
Tried wireless on the college and job. and everthing is alright.

Regards :wink:
Roberto
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Roberto,

How did you enable wireless? I'm not having any success. Thanks.

Robin
Roodog
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Roodog »

Congrats to the team - I'm really enjoying using this distro. I arrived at Mint 7 via an early version of Red Hat, then Mandrake, SuSe, Mepis and Kubuntu, but Mint 7 takes the cake, even tho it's gnome based. I barely miss KDE now, only a couple of things like splitting windows, and being able to move/copy files via a right-click. :D
Mint 21.1 64gb Desktop intel 4core i5-2500
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

good to see , will there a CD release for those of us who don't have dvd burners?
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

good to see , will there a CD release for those of us who don't have dvd burners?
Sorry but this edition is only available on DVD.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

exploder wrote:
Sorry but this edition is only available on DVD.
I'm Sorry to hear that. It's too bad there are still enough of us who can't burn DVD's and it difficult in many countries also.
hope they reconsider this one.
If Kubuntu can do it Mint should be able to also.
Just MHO.
Dave
:x

I understand some things might have to be left to down load from Repositories. But that would be better than no way to install it.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Every time I try to use the live cd and download the necessary drivers, everything is aborted and I get this message:

could not resolve archive.ubuntu.com

It will not allow me to enable wireless and it shuts down. Anybody have a clue?

Robin
andydch

Post by andydch »

has anybody tried install KDE 4.3 on Gloria KDE successfully?
very nice design..... :D

btw, Gloria KDE is very great Job....
andydch

Post by andydch »

z06gal wrote:Every time I try to use the live cd and download the necessary drivers, everything is aborted and I get this message:

Robin
why don't u try install Gloria KDE into your HDD?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I've always run live cd's first to check it out. I've never had this problem so thought I would ask.

Robin
olligod

Post by olligod »

andydch wrote:
z06gal wrote:Every time I try to use the live cd and download the necessary drivers, everything is aborted and I get this message:

Robin
why don't u try install Gloria KDE into your HDD?
andych,
I dont think that a hard drive install solves the problem. Hardware recognition and wireless access work the same way in Ubuntu - live or hard disk installed.

Robin,
are you sure your wlan hardware is *not* recognized for lack of hardware drivers? Or do you just have to configure it? The system tools should give you a clue whether they "see" the hardware.
OR: use a terminal window and enter
ifconfig -a
If this gives you (among other output) something containing "wlan0" then you will not need an additional driver.

If hardware is not recognized, then of course, you may need a driver which is a catch-22 !
You may either need another PC to download the necessary packages,
typically to-do with "ndiswrapper" in its name (can be found on http://packages.ubuntu.com) -- or the EASIER solution (if available) is to connect with good ole' network cable
to the internet (most wireless routers also allow for wired (ethernet) connection).

Your message
"could not resolve archive.ubuntu.com"
of course results from no access to any nameserver (because of no access to the Web in the first place).

With a wired connection you can download/install any packages necessary to get your Wlan access running.

Have fun!

ollligod
olligod

Post by olligod »

Copa360 wrote:
Korbu wrote:Well, I downloaded and installed the KDE edition on my Dell inspiron 1525 laptop. Everything was ok.
I did the updates and I restarted the computer. Then I had a weird problem I also experienced on my desktop computer with the RC1 edition of Gloria KDE.
After the updates the system turns into Ubuntu. Weird...isn't it? Not even Kubuntu...
Maybe your KDE download came from the Ubuntu repositories.
This rather looks like you have pulled a Gnome Desktop from Ubuntu.
If you have actually a KDE desktop installed (should be the case from your initial GLoria KDE install), it is still there unless you actively removed it.

So you will be able to choose which "session type" you want just *before* login.
The default in your case may be set to Gnome (and you may somehow have installed Ubuntu-Gnome and possible replaced Mint-Gnome by that).

How can this happen? It depends on the package repositories that are active for pulling packages. On update, always the newest by version numbers are installed.
Maybe you have some backport repository activated - it looks like you should have at least the latest and newest Gnome :)

So, if you want KDE, choose session type KDE; the Gnome will just occupy some disk space then...

olligod
Last edited by olligod on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
bobd07

Post by bobd07 »

Outstanding version of Mint.Finally a distro with KDE where Firefox and Thunderbird work together out of the box.I have tried Open SuSE and had nothing but problems getting the two to work together.Even Kubuntu had the same issues.Thank you again.
greenthaiway

Post by greenthaiway »

Great OS Team!
Thanks for the effort you made.
A donation will follow one of these days :mrgreen:

Greetings out of Thailand
intoDesign.ca

Post by intoDesign.ca »

kc1di wrote:good to see , will there a CD release for those of us who don't have dvd burners?
If you live in Canada or the US, I can burn a copy of the DVD and send it to you. Let me know if you are interested.
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wobf58 »

Is there a way to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.30??? And how upgrading to KDE 4.3. Is that possible?
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/

Return to “Releases & Announcements”