Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Postby andydch on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:50 pm

z06gal wrote:Every time I try to use the live cd and download the necessary drivers, everything is aborted and I get this message:

could not resolve archive.ubuntu.com

It will not allow me to enable wireless and it shuts down. Anybody have a clue?

Robin

why don't u try install Gloria KDE into your HDD?
Linux Mint 12 (LISA) 32bit
HP MINI 210-1000
andydch
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby z06gal on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:23 pm

I've always run live cd's first to check it out. I've never had this problem so thought I would ask.

Robin
z06gal
Level 5
Level 5

Postby hvce on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 am

Hey, so impressed with mint , after a long time of changing distros i've finally found the right one for me,
Thanks Guys
hvce
Level 1
Level 1

Postby olligod on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 am

andydch wrote:
z06gal wrote:Every time I try to use the live cd and download the necessary drivers, everything is aborted and I get this message:

could not resolve archive.ubuntu.com

It will not allow me to enable wireless and it shuts down. Anybody have a clue?

Robin

why don't u try install Gloria KDE into your HDD?

andych,
I dont think that a hard drive install solves the problem. Hardware recognition and wireless access work the same way in Ubuntu - live or hard disk installed.

Robin,
are you sure your wlan hardware is *not* recognized for lack of hardware drivers? Or do you just have to configure it? The system tools should give you a clue whether they "see" the hardware.
OR: use a terminal window and enter
ifconfig -a
If this gives you (among other output) something containing "wlan0" then you will not need an additional driver.

If hardware is not recognized, then of course, you may need a driver which is a catch-22 !
You may either need another PC to download the necessary packages,
typically to-do with "ndiswrapper" in its name (can be found on http://packages.ubuntu.com) -- or the EASIER solution (if available) is to connect with good ole' network cable
to the internet (most wireless routers also allow for wired (ethernet) connection).

Your message
"could not resolve archive.ubuntu.com"
of course results from no access to any nameserver (because of no access to the Web in the first place).

With a wired connection you can download/install any packages necessary to get your Wlan access running.

Have fun!

ollligod
olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Postby olligod on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:30 am

Copa360 wrote:
Korbu wrote:Well, I downloaded and installed the KDE edition on my Dell inspiron 1525 laptop. Everything was ok.
I did the updates and I restarted the computer. Then I had a weird problem I also experienced on my desktop computer with the RC1 edition of Gloria KDE.
After the updates the system turns into Ubuntu. Weird...isn't it? Not even Kubuntu...

Maybe your KDE download came from the Ubuntu repositories.

This rather looks like you have pulled a Gnome Desktop from Ubuntu.
If you have actually a KDE desktop installed (should be the case from your initial GLoria KDE install), it is still there unless you actively removed it.

So you will be able to choose which "session type" you want just *before* login.
The default in your case may be set to Gnome (and you may somehow have installed Ubuntu-Gnome and possible replaced Mint-Gnome by that).

How can this happen? It depends on the package repositories that are active for pulling packages. On update, always the newest by version numbers are installed.
Maybe you have some backport repository activated - it looks like you should have at least the latest and newest Gnome :)

So, if you want KDE, choose session type KDE; the Gnome will just occupy some disk space then...

olligod
Last edited by olligod on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
olligod
Level 3
Level 3

Postby vipx1 on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 am

I come from Ubuntu territory.There are some very nice additions on Linux Mint 7 which will keep me using it. I took my Ubuntu Jaunty hard drive out of the laptop and put a fresh drive in to try Linux Mint, the Ubuntu drive hasn't gone back in since. Compiz config, the easy way to add an application to start up and the graphics in genral are what sold it for me. Nice one, well done!
VipX1 viva Linux...
vipx1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bobd07 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Outstanding version of Mint.Finally a distro with KDE where Firefox and Thunderbird work together out of the box.I have tried Open SuSE and had nothing but problems getting the two to work together.Even Kubuntu had the same issues.Thank you again.
bobd07
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rose2009 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 am

Thanks for your idea :lol:
simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France - Credit immobilier de France, simulation credit immobilier. Résultat mitigé pour le crédit immobilier de France.simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France
rose2009
Level 1
Level 1

Postby greenthaiway on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:38 am

Great OS Team!
Thanks for the effort you made.
A donation will follow one of these days :mrgreen:

Greetings out of Thailand
greenthaiway
Level 1
Level 1

Postby intoDesign.ca on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:38 am

kc1di wrote:good to see , will there a CD release for those of us who don't have dvd burners?

If you live in Canada or the US, I can burn a copy of the DVD and send it to you. Let me know if you are interested.
intoDesign.ca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wobf58 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:49 am

Is there a way to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.30??? And how upgrading to KDE 4.3. Is that possible?
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Postby intoDesign.ca on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:24 am

wobf58 wrote:Is there a way to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.30??? And how upgrading to KDE 4.3. Is that possible?

The quick answer is Yes You Can UpGrade The Kernel.... but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Have a quick look at the link below... this has just been talked about

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=30924
intoDesign.ca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wobf58 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:28 pm

intoDesign.ca wrote:
wobf58 wrote:Is there a way to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.30??? And how upgrading to KDE 4.3. Is that possible?

The quick answer is Yes You Can UpGrade The Kernel.... but just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Have a quick look at the link below... this has just been talked about

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=30924

Thanks. Since I have my Laptop setup with several partitions because I like to test other distros as well, I will give it a try. I like to switch to KDE. Using Mint 7 GNOME right now. Since I need at least Kernel 2.6.28 because of my Backlight LED screen I will try it. And my speakers are working better with 2.6.30. I also would like to get my fingerprint reader to work. So I will play around with it since I have that space to do so. I like to stay with Mint since its so easy to use
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vrkalak on Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:41 pm

I have always used Gnome as my desktop environment, on both Ubuntu and LinuxMint-7

I am installing LinuxMint-7 KDE to my laptop, as we speak.
I had purchased a LiveCD of LinuxMint-7 with both Gnome and KDE desktops on it, it arrived yesterday.

I'll keep everyone informed as to how the install goes and about using the KDE desktop, for a Linux n00b.
I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby rbsjrx on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:16 pm

Great! Now, how do I install it? When I go into Synaptic and search for "Mint 7", all that's returned is the "main" updater, which I presume is for the main fork, i.e. GNOME. If I search for "Mint 7 KDE", I get no results. So, should I go ahead and use the main updater or is there something else I should be doing? I really don't want to have to go back and reload the OS and all my backups from scratch.

Also, is there a timetable for a 64-bit version? I'm currently running Mint 6 KDE-64, so the updater might break anyway if I try to update from a 64-bit installation to a 32-bit installation.

Guidance, please...
rbsjrx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby wobf58 on Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:34 pm

rbsjrx wrote:Great! Now, how do I install it? When I go into Synaptic and search for "Mint 7", all that's returned is the "main" updater, which I presume is for the main fork, i.e. GNOME. If I search for "Mint 7 KDE", I get no results. So, should I go ahead and use the main updater or is there something else I should be doing? I really don't want to have to go back and reload the OS and all my backups from scratch.

Also, is there a timetable for a 64-bit version? I'm currently running Mint 6 KDE-64, so the updater might break anyway if I try to update from a 64-bit installation to a 32-bit installation.

Guidance, please...

As far as I know there never was a Linux Mint 6 KDE 64-bit version. Might be I have missed something.
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dvent on Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:34 am

Hi, just installed Gloria KDE on my Advent netbook. So far so good everything seems to be up and running and looks great as well. Thanks for all the hardwork, really appreciated :D
dvent
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Seventh Reign on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Comparing Kubuntu to Linux Mint KDE, is like comparing a Ford Ford Falcon to a Ford Mustang. They may be built on the same platform, but they are both extremely different systems.

Kubuntu is like the little kid that gets ignored by his parents because they keep having more babies.

Mint is more like the golden child that can do no wrong .. and never does.
Seventh Reign
Level 1
Level 1

Postby blackberry8100 on Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:43 pm

Marked! I will check it later!thanks a lot.
simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France - Credit immobilier de France, simulation credit immobilier. Résultat mitigé pour le crédit immobilier de France.simulation taux banque credit immobilier de France
blackberry8100
Level 1
Level 1

Postby stilz-ink on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 am

I am a new user to linux, I love it.... i installed on my netbook which has xp in dual boot, i want to delete the xp partition. anyone suggest how to do it...
gratsi....

I love linux:
good work...
stilz-ink
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements