Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Postby salixman on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:45 pm

for everyone lamenting the abscence of a x64 release, if you REALLY want it, kubuntu 9.04 does have a x64 release. Personally i love linux mint and prefer it over baseline ubuntu and kubuntu, but if that increase in speed is a big deal they have it.
salixman
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!...

Postby Anakondarh on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:50 pm

And it is GOOD. Congratulations on some great work. After months of distro-hoppin' (got tired of PCLinuxOS after a year of happiness, since the repos were starting to grow small for me, and KDE 3 was starting to get old), and even going briefly to GNOME, I finally found a good implementation of KDE 4. Fedora I didn't enjoy since it has way too many fedora tools I don't really care about, and Kubuntu was ALMOST what I wanted, except that it had a nasty bug in music playback which would make it stutter for no apparent reason and that I didn't care to try to figure out. However, Mint has finally done it for me: a clean and well implemented KDE 4 distro (with the exception of Usplash theme, login theme and icon theme, which I think could use some more work...) :)

Thanks guys!!!
Linux Mint 7 KDE on my beloved Compaq laptop
Anakondarh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kuruka on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:46 am

:?:
Dear linux mint buddies,

Should I upgrade the linux mint 7 with kde 4.2.4 to the kde 4.3 by using the mintupdate dist-upgrade ? Do I have to waste a long time by downloading the dependencies or easy manner? My broadband is fast - a cable broadband.
I appreciate your helpful hints.
cools.

:idea:
Linux Mint Brazil administrator at http://www.linuxmint.com.br
kuruka
Level 3
Level 3

Postby isaacahloe on Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm a fan of KDE but i need 64bit for programs i use. i've used Ubuntu, but i enjoy Fedora much better. my only problem is that the Fedora repositories are lacking in video/stop motion programs i require.

so my question is, as i think was asked before

is it possible to install the 64bit version of mint 7 and then add the linux mint version of KDE. (i'm guessing not)

also, if i added the Kubuntu KDE onto Linux mint 7 would that cause thigns to be wonky?

ps- i'm somewhatenewer to linux in general
isaacahloe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby warddb on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:38 pm

is the an easy way to upgrade from felicia to gloria KDE? I do not have a CD burner but I do have a 4gig flash drive and a 320gig hard drive with 280gig free.

Thanks,

DW
warddb
Level 1
Level 1

Postby speedyx on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:18 am

Thank you very much to the Mint KDE Community for this gift!
I'm a proud debian&Kubuntu advanced user.
I will recommend from now linux Mint 7 Gloria KDE with kubuntu & Pardus to all my friends!
But I think Mint KDE is over the top of them!

I installed on a clean partition on my testing hd, near arch and openSUSE. Was perfect!!
Then I installed mint-meta-kde from the Gloria repository on my kubuntu jaunty (my working system). Usefull!

I have some ????##@things unclear@??? for the dist-upgrade when we'll go to karmic in octomber... Will I be able to keep my kubuntu+mint over the edge with all the ppa repos included? Will I be able to perfom the dist-upgrade?

I will see soon...
The freedom technologies are available!
I recommend everyone Linux Mint KDE as the simplest GNU/Linux distribution for the common user
and the italian Santech notebook, 100% linux compatible!
speedyx
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Steve64 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:07 am

clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 7 ‘Gloria’ KDE. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO is downloaded verify the MD5. Burn the ISO at low speed and enjoy Linux [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=986

Clem.

Hi can I install the KDE Desktop on My Linux Mint 7 without having to Install Linux Mint 7 KDE ?

thanx .
Steve64
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Steve64 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Steve64 wrote:
clem wrote:
The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 7 ‘Gloria’ KDE. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO is downloaded verify the MD5. Burn the ISO at low speed and enjoy Linux [...]

Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=986

Clem.

Hi can I install the KDE Desktop on My Linux Mint 7 without having to Install Linux Mint 7 KDE ?

thanx .

EDIT: ok sorry I've sorted that issue now .....:)
Steve64
Level 1
Level 1

Postby swifters on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:27 am

Hi........
Just installed Gloria but not able to drag and drop icons to desktop (permission denied)but was no problem in previous distro.
Is there a quick fix?
Regards
Swifters
swifters
Level 1
Level 1

Postby WebGhost on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:29 am

I am so glad for the new KDE released. I have preferred KDE for some time now, and like the way they are going with 4. Have avoided Ubuntu and its derivatives – call it personal taste, and yes, have tried various editions over the last few years – but this sounds like it may be worth a gecko. It may even give me back the eye candy I just lost (I *like* my eye candy) when my (reasonably old) laptop running Debian testing upgraded the kernel to the .30 range – at which I promptly discovered that the ATI driver (9.3) for the 9600 won’t compile and install (all my other beasties are nVidia, and no hassles with their driver with the upgrade).
WebGhost
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fisk on Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello folks,

I need your help and I need it NOW :D

What I am trying to achieve is to boot Mint 7 form my thumb (the left one) as a live distro. However, it didn't quite happen as the instructions I'd followed: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/ -- that's the guide I used. Got 4GB usb drive formatted as fat32; extracted the USBMint7.exe, then I copied the iso inside the very same folder; ran fixmint.bat - I went through all "press key" stuff under the windows command prompt and it was all done. All done, except that the ISO per se did not copy! My thumb was formatted as bootable, all the stuff within USBMint7 folder copied - everything except the content of the actual OS. What must I do, dear fellows???? :oops: :?
fisk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby smino on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:40 am

Hey guys, I love linux mint! I have converted two of my boxes and several friends.
To make it easier for XP/windows users to migrate, could you include windows keyboard shortcuts?
Every keyboard I have has it. I know you can create keyboard shortcuts somewhere, but if the shortcuts were already in the ISO install, that would be awesome!
Cheers for now!

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/u ... ntu-linux/
smino
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rufus0101 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:52 am

Hi.

I am just now running the "standard" Mint 7 with Gnome installed. With this OS I am having problem with standby mode (like many else), has anyone tested this feature in the new Mint 7 KDE ? Does it differ anyway ?

Further, what does a beginner like me gain of switching to KDE instead of Gnome, is this system faster ? Is it just
a change of look and feel with the same stuff under the "surface"?

BR
Rufus
rufus0101
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Muzer on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:37 am

Further, what does a beginner like me gain of switching to KDE instead of Gnome, is this system faster ? Is it justa change of look and feel with the same stuff under the "surface"?

Well, there's a different set of applications, and most people agree that these have loads more features and aree generally better. A few apps, though, are more unstable than their Gnome counterparts.
Muzer
Level 4
Level 4

Postby rufus0101 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:51 am

Muzer wrote:
Further, what does a beginner like me gain of switching to KDE instead of Gnome, is this system faster ? Is it justa change of look and feel with the same stuff under the "surface"?

Well, there's a different set of applications, and most people agree that these have loads more features and aree generally better. A few apps, though, are more unstable than their Gnome counterparts.

Muzer,

As a new Linux user I have a lot of questions about Mint and Linux. Generally I think that Linux is so spread, there are so many distros and variants of it that the people developing can't really manage it. Why not slim down the choices and put focus on fewer items and get som quality instead. I have tried Linux before and has always returned to Windows because of bugs and so on.

BR
Rufus
rufus0101
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Steve64 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:46 am

I like the KDE Desktop i think its pretty sweet looking , but the only real 3 issues I'm having with Mint 7 at the moment is the sound issue ( it goes off sometimes)..also it does seem to run a bit slow and sluggish , plus it would be cool if i could run my Sony Ericsson and Nokia Mobile phone Software in it too , then i would be fine to dump windows and go Mint all the way ....:)
Steve64
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Pintu on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:56 am

Great release , already enjoying , I congratulate Team Linux Mint , to present us such a beautiful gift.

Warm Regards
Pintu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Steve64 on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:50 am

Pintu wrote:Great release , already enjoying , I congratulate Team Linux Mint , to present us such a beautiful gift.

Warm Regards

So you dont get the "no / fading sound" issue then . like quite a few do it seems including me ..lol
Steve64
Level 1
Level 1

Postby AK49er on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:23 pm

larry wrote:is there any way of installing the latest mint version of KDE on the x64 version of gloria?

Does anybody know the answer to this question i would like to know as well ??
AK49er
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Steve64 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:44 am

I had KDE with Gloria , and to be honest it was a little sluggish to say the least and didnt seem to want to behave ...it does look good tho ...lol
Steve64
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements