Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 7 'Gloria' KDE released!

Postby rnddave on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:43 pm

linux mint is a really great looking distro. It has been the first distro to remotely tempt me back to linux after switching my primary OS of choice from a combination of Fedora & Ubuntu to OS X back in 2007.

I'm going to stick with OS X as my primary OS but after seeing a couple of write-ups on mint - and the screen shots - I've downloaded it and want to thank the people behind the project for what is a stunning looking distro!

I'm tinkering with the latest release on a Windows machine that has been sat around for a little while.
rnddave
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby rubenmint on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:28 am

Just brought from on-disk along with the main edition as my mint 6 refused to burn the iso onto disk.

Anyways came in the post yesterday. up and running in no time and loving KDE again. First time using it since Kubuntu a year ago.

So clean so smooth, not managed to get my Nvidia graphics card working yet but wireless up and running after using 'hardware drivers' option.

Loved Mint 6 after trying nearly all others and Mint 7 KDE tops the lot for me!!

Well done and thanks for the great work!!
rubenmint
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jesica on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:08 am

i also did try it but like Gnome more

My Linux Counter number # 566377
Mate
IT Ninja
Happy apt-get-ing!
Linux Mint Donar # 2159

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Postby hecsan on Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:34 am

Congratulation for the released of Linux Mint 7 KDE. It's pretty cool for KDE lovers.
hecsan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eh22 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:19 pm

is there any way of installing the latest mint version of KDE on the x64 version of gloria?

There is a metapackage in Synaptic for installing of "Kubuntu Desktop". Wouldn't it be great to have a metapackage named something like "Mint-KDE Desktop"? Should be much easier to do a 64bit version that way, also. So consider this a wish.. :wink:
eh22
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LinuxLovingMenthol on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:47 am

Thank you! :-)
I have never tried to run an OS on any computer other than WinDoze... more fool me! I administrate Linux servers but never thought I would install Linux on any computer of mine or anyone else's.

The only reason I decided to try LinuxMint was because I had a spare, very old, laptop and thought a 'light' OS might work, where Windows doesn't - of course, Linux runs like a dream on this old PB laptop :)

I downloaded the Gloria ISO late last night and was up and running in under two hours - complete with updates and even managed to get to grips with most of the OS tricks and requirements before breakfast! :-D

I'm a convert! WinDoze? What exactly was that - a dim and distant memory! No, a nightmare!

Many thanks - Linux Mint is so minty fresh I can almost feel my breath smelling of Mentos ;-)

Cheers! :-D

Karl [Egypt]
LinuxLovingMenthol
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Axanon on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:17 pm

I know this request has probably been done to death, but I am test driving Mint 7 KDE and would really like to see a x64 version. I really like the look and feel so far (it's my first KDE install). I'm likely going to switch from GNOME to KDE, but an OS thats more x64 friendly. Sorry Mint, love ya.. but I need my 64-bit!
Axanon
Level 1
Level 1

Postby geekman on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:11 pm

I have to say after using various distro's since 2000 that I am just super impressed with LinuxMint. I am not a hardcore purist. I don't mind closed source programs or drivers, but then I haven't been bitten by anything security wise in a driver where the vendor is behind in security patching.

I was a Redhat/Mandrake guy, then a SuSe/Mandriva guy, then Ubuntu with occasional looksee's back at Mandriva and then up comes LinuxMint. Very excited to see that everything on my Toshiba L305D-S5881 worked on first boot.

For linux to gain mainstream acceptance the consumer is going to need to see it work out of the box. The average person, as you know just wants the dang thing to work when they press power on. This is the first distro I have tried that just feels like a turnkey solution. And it really is stable.

I have to say this past couple of weeks or so I have started to enjoy my computer again. Both Gnome and KDE desktops are pleasant visibily. I was getting so bored with my computer, feeling like a computer should be something more and your distro's are.....fun.

The only thing I would say that if it is possible to make it stable but be able to install gnome, kde and whatever your CE editions desktops will be from the repos without breaking something in the other desktop that would only be a plus for the ADD people like me who switch desktops back and forth every two weeks.

Great job with KDE
Linux Mint 7 Gloria 64bit
Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5881
AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics
3GB Ram 180GB HD
geekman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mintluvr on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:08 am

I converted from Windoze to Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Mythbuntu about 2 years ago. I have learned much (compiling drivers for video capture cards, trying to get printers to provide proper color balance, etc.). The final result is always a system that is superior to my many years of running Windoze -- both from a stability standpoint and regarding functionality. But Linux Mint 7 it seems has even eliminated these configuration efforts -- terrific job!!

I must agree with the other 64-bit requests though. I am now in the process of choosing a new distro for my main computer. I do a lot of work with video and virtualization and I need to make full use of my processors and RAM. Of all the distros I have researched recently, it seems that Linux Mint with KDE would be the best fit for me -- except for not having a 64-bit option available. If anyone has been successful with adding a Minty desktop to Kubuntu (or possibly adding KDE to Linux Mint 64), please post a "How To". With the ever-growing use of 64-bit applications, it seems there are MANY of us who would be highly appreciative! :D For me, I am now still trying to choose a distro.
Mintluvr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby catilley on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:04 am

I really love Mint! I've only had it a few weeks now, and really love the unique style of the home screen and the overall smoothness that Mint offers, not only to Linux, but the PC world altogether. I've ran several Linux distros, but none as long as Mint. I do have a backup Linux distro, moonOS. But that's for a safety net. I've learned a lot in these few weeks, almost enough to trash Windows after 8 years of use. The only Windows OS that I know has been XP Pro. After all that time, it wasn't easy for me to change, but I did. That's the problem, people are afraid of change. They live in a comfort zone, and no matter how many times Windows screwed up, most stuck with them. I would have, but events happened to me through no fault of my own, and Windows screwed me. After 8 years of loyalty, that was the thanks I got. Well, the buck passes on. Windows has already been trashed on one laptop, and on the other, it occupies only 8.5GB out of 100GB. That's less than 10%. Soon, it will be gone altogether, thanks to Mint. It's polished and ready to run out of the box. Mint is here to stay!
catilley
Level 1
Level 1

Postby genmei888 on Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Tomorrow is the New Year to all friends happy New Year!
genmei888
Level 1
Level 1

Postby willie42 on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:20 am

Happy New Year to you too :D
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements