Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by Az4x4 »

inchkape wrote:..I notice flash video playing is taking lots of memory with frequent freezes of firefox. I had four flash video frames running at once on sporting events. I had about two crashes per hour. Video card temp seems ok though.
Firefox freezes are not unique to Mint 8 RC1 or for that matter to Linux in general. While they're annoying and troublesome, there's lots of chatter online about the problem of freezes in later versions of Firefox. I've experienced them on my Windows XP work machines, and finally went all the way back to 2.x on one machine that had particular difficulty in that regard while running FF 3.x. That retrograde did the job, at least on that particular machine, so I don't think Firefox freezes can be attributed to a bug in Mint 8 RC1.
inchkape

Post by inchkape »

Az4x4 wrote:
inchkape wrote:..I notice flash video playing is taking lots of memory with frequent freezes of firefox. I had four flash video frames running at once on sporting events. I had about two crashes per hour. Video card temp seems ok though.
Firefox freezes are not unique to Mint 8 RC1 or for that matter to Linux in general. While they're annoying and troublesome, there's lots of chatter online about the problem of freezes in later versions of Firefox. I've experienced them on my Windows XP work machines, and finally went all the way back to 2.x on one machine that had particular difficulty in that regard while running FF 3.x. That retrograde did the job, at least on that particular machine, so I don't think Firefox freezes can be attributed to a bug in Mint 8 RC1.
I tried this on Galeon too: same result. I was comparing to my experience with FF 2.x and Galeon in Mint 7 in both 32 and 64 bit versions. I really doubt that this is a Mint problem, but more likely flashplayer. I'll try retrograding FF and flashplayer :)
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

Problems with sleep & hibernating modes on HP mininote 2133.

When waking up, lighting reset. So i need to turn it manually again, its annoying :)
And also sometimes there is just blank screen with wallpaper & no window to input your password and log in to :(
And it likes to turns off randomly, so I need to press power button again, and no one knows what will be happen :roll:
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

Brian49 wrote:The more I read this thread, the more convinced I become not to upgrade from Gloria to Helena, at least for the time being.
Smart decision, fully in line with what Clem and his Mint development team recommends. This early RC1 release of Mint 8 is NOT offered to take the place of whatever stable OS you may be running right now. Like you I'm also running Gloria on a couple of machines, and while I'm following the development of Helena closely, this initial release was made specifically for the purpose of sorting out bugs and fixing things that need fixing, certainly not as upgrade ready in its present form.

Some suggest it may have been overly optimistic to call this first release RC1 instead Alpha 1, but in spite of that the point is that this is not intended as an upgrade from Gloria or any other OS as it sits. Let's let Clem and the team do their work knowing that if anyone can fashion a new Mint 8 silk purse out of a sow's ear it's those guys! They've done it before and they'll do it again, and in due time most of us will be singing their praises as we did (and still do!) with Mint 7 Gloria.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

That wasn't quite what I meant. This thread has put me off the idea of upgrading to Helena even when the final release is ready. It's the GRUB2 and other bootup changes that mainly worry me.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

BUG : The file system is often reported to have errors.
I have to run fsck manually.
This has happened many times, even in a re-installed system.
After the file system check, I get the following message:

Helena-home: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY. RUN fsck MANUALLY.
fsck /home [ 836 ] terminated with status 4
Filesystem has errors: /home

NOTE: One item that is reported to have errors when I run fsck refers to MOZILLA FIREFOX
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

Bug: Can't install anything from the Mint Software Portal.

Joeyeah_right
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joeyeah_right »

Main bug for me is everytime I restart my machine (Thinkpad X31 laptop) I have to re-install "TPB" from the package manager...Everytime! It's not too big of a problem, but it's definitely something that would make me happy if it were fixed.

The only other thing is when I restart the machine or come out of hibernation the connection to my wireless router (Currently set to allow only certain MAC addresses, password key is set and SSID is not broadcast) that I can't select the router from the list when i click "Connect To Hidden Wireless Network" as it comes up with the connection box which does not have the Key populated and just hangs there, so I have to cancel it and select "New" and re-enter the SSID and pass-key each time.

Those two are the only issues I have and I have been running Helena since Friday 20th on my main laptop. Everything else seems to be smooth and I really like it (Fresh install after using Daryna for the last year and a half).

Thanks for Mint guys! :)
Zenigata

Post by Zenigata »

Hi,
I think there is a bug in "mintmenu". Font size of application name and description of the list of applications at the right (for example "About me", "appareance", "aptoncd"...) is too small and it's very difficult to read. If I increase the gobal font size, fonts uses in mintmenu for "places" and "system" become to big. I think you need to add an option to customize the fonts in mintmenu.

Thanks
saurabh4dudes

Post by saurabh4dudes »

i m using linux mint 7 n i found some things which can be improved in mint8 (i m refering windows7 mainly so understand..)...

1)vista or win7 gives u a refreshing look which mint fails to(i don no which factor makes it so fresh) after switching on the
computer win7 looks so refreshing..compare the mint n win7, u wil get to know wat i m saying..i think taskbar n gmenu icon should
be enlarged..
2)vista or win7 gives a transperancy to taskbar n to menu which should be taken into consideration..mint doesn give by default
but even after applying transparency it gives wierd look like some things won be transparent eg gmenu,clock,date etc..win7 keeps
it transparent but not fully jus partially..
3)all the minimized windows should appear like all unminimized windows in case of ring switcher o window preview o shift
switcher,it shows icon of application used for opening that minimized windows...so sort this matter firstly..
4)chm file format has no supporting application
5)video/audio converters should be available
6)virtual desktops share same wallpaper which shouldn b the case..each desktop may have different wallpaper
7)gmenu is the best but stil gui wise it should b improved..enable transparency o something..win7 should b seen again..
8)upload feature should b enhanced..it din work on my pc..
9)nokia pc suite like application for cell phones so as retrieve the contacts o messages...add functionality to blutooth application
10)i m in love with d compiz n print to pdf feature i use them like anything but i still wil request u to improvise them
as much as possible..these are the things which make difference for new comers..
11)copying speed should b enhanced if possible..(its so fast at copying still also i m suggesting..)

hats off to u guys for creating such an awesome stuff..
the linux mint is the best os but if v can improve it then y to stop?
i din download mint8 rc1 bcoz of limited download plan so if u hav already implemented any of the above
jus forgive me...
waiting for the mint 8 final version to release...

regards
Az4x4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Az4x4 »

Brian49 wrote:That wasn't quite what I meant. This thread has put me off the idea of upgrading to Helena even when the final release is ready. It's the GRUB2 and other bootup changes that mainly worry me.
Unlike yourself Brian, I'm not ready to pull the plug on Helena based on this initial RC1 offering - not by a long shot. Looking at where this early RC1 goes wrong is invaluable to Clem and the Mint team as they square things away. That's why they released it in its current form, so problems can be sorted out and resolved before a final release is offered. I'm perfectly willing to park any temptation to panic and go running off into the night on the shelf where it belongs, and wait for RC2 and beyond to make more specific judgments about what may or may not be in the final release.

Given the track record Clem and his crew have established so far, my money is on them ironing every major wrinkle out of Helena prior to its final release. They will do so in such a way that the reputation of Mint as being the best of the best when it comes to Ubuntu derivatives will be greatly enhanced. "Ubuntu done right" will be forever emblazoned on the Mint label if Helena is up to previous Mint standards. If by some unfortunate turn of events I prove to be wrong, and you guys who find yourselves nay sayers at this early stage are correct, I'll admit as much at that time. However I seriously doubt that will be the case judging by what Mint has offered in final form to the present day - Gloria being the ultimate example of Clem's handiwork!

One thing I am in favor of, something that others have suggested as well, is that Clem and his team consider going to a yearly release schedule instead of following along with Ubuntu on its sometimes rough and tumble 6 month release schedule. Just a thought, and I'm sure the guys have considered it as well. Whatever they decide is fine as long as it gives them time to sort through the issues that come prepackaged every 6 months in Ubuntu releases.
ghostgrrl

Post by ghostgrrl »

snuff wrote:When i try to open software manager / package manager in Menu>System
i get this message.

Could not grab your mouse
A malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus.
try again.

after clicking/opening padlock in panel to check for updates software manager/ package manager will work.

I am having this exact problem in Mint 7. Anyone know a fix for this?
npap
Level 6
Level 6

LOST PANEL APPLET

Post by npap »

Bug: the sound volume control applet has disappeared from the Gnome panel.

NOTE: The Volume Control icon (speaker icon) is missing from the "Add To Panel" set of icons, so it is impossible to add to panel.
This applies to the live CD also.

Bug: Pulse Audio Volume Control
The radio knob of this launcher can be added to the panel, but when you click on it you get the following message:
"Connection failed: Connection refused"
Last edited by npap on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scottjge
Level 4
Level 4

Post by scottjge »

I see the note about installing Mint 8 as a clean install and as an upgrade, Is Mint 8 stable been released yet ? I can not find where to down load it. If it is stable then it is time to install.

thanks,
Glenn
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

scotthge wrote:Is Mint 8 stable been released yet ? I can not find where to down load it.
No. There will be an announcement on the forum when the stable version is released.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Could not grab your mouse
This is a well known, long standing, error that has something to do with a "failed sudo"
There are more than one post about it in the forum and it's just to search for it
snuff

Post by snuff »

update (1. mint translations) First time i tried to run this update it locked laptop up and crashed having to hard rest - i now get:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
how do i run manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a to correct the problem?
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

LOST PANEL APPLET

Postby npap on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:09 pm
Bug 1: the sound volume control applet has disappeared from the Gnome panel.

NOTE: The Volume Control icon (speaker icon) is missing from the "Add To Panel" set of icons, so it is impossible to add to panel.
This applies to the live CD also.

Bug 2 (Nov. 26): Pulse Audio Volume Control
The radio knob of this launcher can be added to the panel from the Applications Launcher, but when you click on it you get the following message:
"Connection failed: Connection refused"

Bug 3: Sound Change sound volume and sound events
(A speaker icon from the Applications Launcher)
It can be added to the panel, but you get this message when you click on it:
"Waiting for sound system to respond"
Note: not responding
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

snuff,
how do i run manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a to correct the problem?
Answer: in the terminal.
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

I don't know if it was mentioned or possibly even a mistake on my part for some unknown reason, but gparted seemed to appear in the liveCD but disappear after installing. Had to apt-get it, which wasn't possible for me yesterday (when I found it) with no internet at the time :?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”