Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Post by grizwald »

In an earlier post I made mention of a problem with Brasero having some bugs. To some extent this have been addressed but there is still some way to go.

The drawer does not 'pop open' when a burn is complete. When "Make another copy" is selected, with the previously burned CD still in the drive, the program proceeds to try to burn on this CD. Pressing the eject button on the burner, causes the drawer to open and the screen clears to the desktop image - with NO ICONS displayed now. A reboot is the only solution. I did ask how to graft a copy of Mint 7 Brasero version into Mint 8 but so far no response.

I also referred to a problem with drag and drop files into folders where the contents of the 'recipient' folder disappeared. This also has been partially fixed but now - sometimes - the 'recipient' folder won't open. The little revolving icon just sits there revolving and nothing else happens. Closing the window and re-opening it seems to partially fix problem in that the files are now shown but the icon still sits there , revolving.

I appreciate much is going on behind the scenes to sort out assorted bugs that have been uncovered and I am in no way being critical in my remarks above. I am doing this in the understanding that the bug reports are welcome - even if disheartening - and so help make the final release as bug free as possible.

I am using a Samsung R159 LapTop to observe the above problems.

Cheers,

Griz.

An hour after posting the above I managed to make my first drink coaster of the day using Mint 8 version of Brasero. This was when I was trying to make a second copy of a just completed CD burn.

/g.
Last edited by grizwald on Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snuff

Post by snuff »

newW2 wrote:snuff,
how do i run manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a to correct the problem?
Answer: in the terminal.
cheers :)
slafko

Post by slafko »

slafko wrote:Hi,

I installed Mint 8 RC1 and I can't get my usb wifi mouse working properly. It's not mouse issue because I tested on other computers and it works fine.

lsusb recognize when I plug in usb wifi stick (Bus 002 Device 035: ID 04fc:0538 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd) but it seems there is no signal to my mouse.
anyone?
Craig

Post by Craig »

Not sure why but every time I boot up despite changing the volume levels to 50% - 51% it boots up every time and is muted.

Any solution to this?

Cheers. :)
kansasnoob

Post by kansasnoob »

SxFlare wrote:I don't know if it was mentioned or possibly even a mistake on my part for some unknown reason, but gparted seemed to appear in the liveCD but disappear after installing. Had to apt-get it, which wasn't possible for me yesterday (when I found it) with no internet at the time :?
Gparted is included in the Live CD because it's necessary for installation.

It is NOT installed by default in the completed installation. It's been this way in Mint since at least Elyssa and in Ubuntu since at least Gutsy.
Husse

Post by Husse »

It is NOT installed by default in the completed installation. It's been this way in Mint since at least Elyssa and in Ubuntu since at least Gutsy.
Eh??
I always find Gparted in my systems without installing it separately :shock:
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Yes mine is in Systems --> Control Center with the name Partition Editor.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Missing in my install of Helena, I had to install mine through Synaptic.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Interesting.... Out of curiosity I went looking for Partition Manager or Editor or Anything.... and found nothing!

I'm using Mint 8 RC1 with all the updates.

As it happens, I'm not all that bothered since I have a dedicated copy [4.6 at the moment] of Parted Magic which suits my needs perfectly.

http://partedmagic.com/

Griz.
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mzsade »

I always find Gparted in my systems without installing it separately
Has got to be a bug then, related to the differences in hardware, because i too didn't have Partition editor by default in the install, it was in the live CD; i am talking about Ubuntu Intrepid and Jaunty, and Mint 7--and not been reported perhaps because it was no biggie apt-getting it.
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
andydch

Post by andydch »

Hi All,

I am connected to the internet using modem ZTE AC2726 and WVDial, so every I want to connect I have to type "sudo wvdial Smart" in terminal.

My problem is sometimes the modem can't make connection. So I have to type "lsusb" in terminal.
The output is

Code: Select all

Bus 006 Device 003: ID 19d2:fff5
and then type "sudo usb_modeswitch", then "lsusb" again.
The output is

Code: Select all

Bus 006 Device 003: ID 19d2:fff1
After that my modem can make connection to the internet. Is that a bug in Helena?
When using Karmic, I never face that problem before.

Sorry for my bad English.
Thanks.
ColJep

Post by ColJep »

I have just downloaded Helena RC1 (Main) and tried to install it on my computer running Gloria.

I have 2 SATA drives one 80GB that I boot from and one 110GB as /home.

Gparted in Gloria and the install of Gloria sees both drives correctly but when I try to install Helena from the live CD, only the /home drive is seen. I am told I have no operating system installed. The drop down list only shows the one drive.

The 80 GB drive has one boot 15GB partition for Gloria and I was hoping to use the remaining free space to partition and try other distros. I had no problems when installing Gloria.

Computer is Asus P5N73-AM Motherboard, Dual core Intel processor and 2GB RAM. Nvidia graphics.

Edit: I have just rechecked and gparted runs correctly from the live install.
ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

-o0o-
  • DL and install LM8, all went good. very happy that it picked up my ZTE 626 wireless modem without hacking the system - that was a pleasant surprise :mrgreen: .
-o0o-
  • All was going OK until i started to copy 320GB of data,movies,pics from spare partition to external HHD. the system started to get slower by the minute and gradually from crawl to system freeze while it was preparing my external HHD to copy the data across. i had no choice but to hard reboot -
  • Any idea's to why this happened :?:
-o0o-
  • Had to use win 7 to successfully copy all the data with out any issues :?
HP EILITE FOLIO 9470M i7-3667u x 4
GitHub: tolgaerok
Image Image
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

mzsade wrote:
I always find Gparted in my systems without installing it separately
Has got to be a bug then, related to the differences in hardware, because i too didn't have Partition editor by default in the install, it was in the live CD; i am talking about Ubuntu Intrepid and Jaunty, and Mint 7--and not been reported perhaps because it was no biggie apt-getting it.
Hello everyone,
I noticed that Gparted is removed during the installation process. So it is not a bug.
But why did they decide to remove it???
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Loving 8 so far, but I'm having issues with Cairo Dock. Once installed, the "do you want OpenGL or not?" message keeps coming up, over and over, no matter how many times I choose yes or no.
Husse

Post by Husse »

The stable version is released - no need to post here any more
I'll lock the topic
If you have "buggy problems" :) now post a normal support question
I'll chew through your questions and read up on how X is changed, grub 2 and the "new" encryption option so I can answer your questions
And if I can get dual monitors to work properly I might migrate to Mint 8, but I like Gloria so much that it'll be hard to leave her

Return to “Releases & Announcements”