Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 8 RC1 Bug Thread

Postby Arathas on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:14 pm

I was just wondering if there was anyone else experiencing problems with the ibus IME that came with the release candidate. It seemed that the SCIM input method previously in Gloria was more stable and reliable. Ibus has on several occasions stopped showing up on my toolbar panel. I regularly had to reconfigure it to get it to work properly or show up at all even though none of the settings had changed among other problems. I finally just installed SCIM (which i had to uninstall ibus to get to work at all) and haven't had a problem since. I am not sure if this is just a problem i am having with ibus but i figured it might be worth mentioning.
Arathas
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby snuff on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:37 pm

I got these two messages in my panel tonight.
Cannot get laptop panel brightness.

Session active, not inhibited screen idle,
if you can see this text your display server is broken and you should notify your distributor
snuff
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Rob Brill on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:25 pm

newW2 wrote:I just had the first file system check as well. The output did indicate %-complete numerically. It happened very fast: starting at 3% a couple of times, the 71%, then done.

Hi,

The same for me - like yours.
Rob Brill
Level 4
Level 4

Postby ncooling on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:34 pm

Just for the information of the group: I had a computer fry on me because of the video card getting overheated with mint8. I can confirm this because I swapped hard disks to another tower and the card (different one but nvidia) was so hot the plastic lugs melted and the heatsink fan fell off. The card was impossible to touch. This occurred during watching youtube videos.
Part of being on the front lines of the new package gives me an excuse to get a new one.
Nick
ncooling
Level 1
Level 1

Postby inchkape on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:12 am

ncooling wrote:Just for the information of the group: I had a computer fry on me because of the video card getting overheated with mint8. I can confirm this because I swapped hard disks to another tower and the card (different one but nvidia) was so hot the plastic lugs melted and the heatsink fan fell off. The card was impossible to touch. This occurred during watching youtube videos.
Part of being on the front lines of the new package gives me an excuse to get a new one.
Nick

I notice flash video playing is taking lots of memory with frequent freezes of firefox. I had four flash video frames running at once on sporting events. I had about two crashes per hour. Video card temp seems ok though.
inchkape
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 am

Found this in the forum, could be a bug, not sure
Helena does not start automatically on an encrypted root partition while Karmic installed from the alternate CD does
Can be that the alternate CD is different
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby handlebike on Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Greetings.

I've been having an issue trying to use a dual screen set up in Mint 8 RC 1. When I configure the display settings every thing works flawlessly. However, upon a restart, I get this:

If I go into the display configuration, turn the second monitor off and then on again, everything goes back to normal until the next reboot:

My video card is a ATI 4890 with the proprietary FGLRX graphics driver installed.

Initially I tried taking screen shots, but they showed a normal desktop. This has been the only graphical issue I've come across so far.
handlebike
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Az4x4 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:02 pm

inchkape wrote:..I notice flash video playing is taking lots of memory with frequent freezes of firefox. I had four flash video frames running at once on sporting events. I had about two crashes per hour. Video card temp seems ok though.

Firefox freezes are not unique to Mint 8 RC1 or for that matter to Linux in general. While they're annoying and troublesome, there's lots of chatter online about the problem of freezes in later versions of Firefox. I've experienced them on my Windows XP work machines, and finally went all the way back to 2.x on one machine that had particular difficulty in that regard while running FF 3.x. That retrograde did the job, at least on that particular machine, so I don't think Firefox freezes can be attributed to a bug in Mint 8 RC1.
Az4x4
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tunney on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:37 am

Testing Linux Mint 8 on an Acer Aspire One Netbook--and so far it has been wonderful, except for one buggy problem. The sound randomly cuts out. None of the settings change, but after a while, no sound comes out of the speakers. I have to restart the computer to get it running again. And about 50 percent of the time, I get sound. I checked pulse audio, and the meter shows "sound", but nothing comes out of the speaker. And then sometimes it is normal. Just inconsistent. Beside that bug, it runs beautifully on my acer aspire one.
Tunney, New York City
Tunney
Level 1
Level 1

Postby inchkape on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:16 am

Az4x4 wrote:
inchkape wrote:..I notice flash video playing is taking lots of memory with frequent freezes of firefox. I had four flash video frames running at once on sporting events. I had about two crashes per hour. Video card temp seems ok though.

Firefox freezes are not unique to Mint 8 RC1 or for that matter to Linux in general. While they're annoying and troublesome, there's lots of chatter online about the problem of freezes in later versions of Firefox. I've experienced them on my Windows XP work machines, and finally went all the way back to 2.x on one machine that had particular difficulty in that regard while running FF 3.x. That retrograde did the job, at least on that particular machine, so I don't think Firefox freezes can be attributed to a bug in Mint 8 RC1.

I tried this on Galeon too: same result. I was comparing to my experience with FF 2.x and Galeon in Mint 7 in both 32 and 64 bit versions. I really doubt that this is a Mint problem, but more likely flashplayer. I'll try retrograding FF and flashplayer :)
inchkape
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ebaut on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:35 am

Problems with sleep & hibernating modes on HP mininote 2133.

When waking up, lighting reset. So i need to turn it manually again, its annoying :)
And also sometimes there is just blank screen with wallpaper & no window to input your password and log in to :(
And it likes to turns off randomly, so I need to press power button again, and no one knows what will be happen :roll:
ebaut
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Az4x4 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:35 am

Brian49 wrote:The more I read this thread, the more convinced I become not to upgrade from Gloria to Helena, at least for the time being.

Smart decision, fully in line with what Clem and his Mint development team recommends. This early RC1 release of Mint 8 is NOT offered to take the place of whatever stable OS you may be running right now. Like you I'm also running Gloria on a couple of machines, and while I'm following the development of Helena closely, this initial release was made specifically for the purpose of sorting out bugs and fixing things that need fixing, certainly not as upgrade ready in its present form.

Some suggest it may have been overly optimistic to call this first release RC1 instead Alpha 1, but in spite of that the point is that this is not intended as an upgrade from Gloria or any other OS as it sits. Let's let Clem and the team do their work knowing that if anyone can fashion a new Mint 8 silk purse out of a sow's ear it's those guys! They've done it before and they'll do it again, and in due time most of us will be singing their praises as we did (and still do!) with Mint 7 Gloria.
Az4x4
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Brian49 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:11 pm

That wasn't quite what I meant. This thread has put me off the idea of upgrading to Helena even when the final release is ready. It's the GRUB2 and other bootup changes that mainly worry me.
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Postby npap on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:39 pm

BUG : The file system is often reported to have errors.
I have to run fsck manually.
This has happened many times, even in a re-installed system.
After the file system check, I get the following message:

Helena-home: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY. RUN fsck MANUALLY.
fsck /home [ 836 ] terminated with status 4
Filesystem has errors: /home

NOTE: One item that is reported to have errors when I run fsck refers to MOZILLA FIREFOX

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby npap on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Bug: Can't install anything from the Mint Software Portal.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Joeyeah_right on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:38 pm

Main bug for me is everytime I restart my machine (Thinkpad X31 laptop) I have to re-install "TPB" from the package manager...Everytime! It's not too big of a problem, but it's definitely something that would make me happy if it were fixed.

The only other thing is when I restart the machine or come out of hibernation the connection to my wireless router (Currently set to allow only certain MAC addresses, password key is set and SSID is not broadcast) that I can't select the router from the list when i click "Connect To Hidden Wireless Network" as it comes up with the connection box which does not have the Key populated and just hangs there, so I have to cancel it and select "New" and re-enter the SSID and pass-key each time.

Those two are the only issues I have and I have been running Helena since Friday 20th on my main laptop. Everything else seems to be smooth and I really like it (Fresh install after using Daryna for the last year and a half).

Thanks for Mint guys! :)
Joeyeah_right
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zenigata on Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi,
I think there is a bug in "mintmenu". Font size of application name and description of the list of applications at the right (for example "About me", "appareance", "aptoncd"...) is too small and it's very difficult to read. If I increase the gobal font size, fonts uses in mintmenu for "places" and "system" become to big. I think you need to add an option to customize the fonts in mintmenu.

Thanks
Zenigata
Level 1
Level 1

Postby saurabh4dudes on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:10 am

i m using linux mint 7 n i found some things which can be improved in mint8 (i m refering windows7 mainly so understand..)...

1)vista or win7 gives u a refreshing look which mint fails to(i don no which factor makes it so fresh) after switching on the
computer win7 looks so refreshing..compare the mint n win7, u wil get to know wat i m saying..i think taskbar n gmenu icon should
be enlarged..
2)vista or win7 gives a transperancy to taskbar n to menu which should be taken into consideration..mint doesn give by default
but even after applying transparency it gives wierd look like some things won be transparent eg gmenu,clock,date etc..win7 keeps
it transparent but not fully jus partially..
3)all the minimized windows should appear like all unminimized windows in case of ring switcher o window preview o shift
switcher,it shows icon of application used for opening that minimized windows...so sort this matter firstly..
4)chm file format has no supporting application
5)video/audio converters should be available
6)virtual desktops share same wallpaper which shouldn b the case..each desktop may have different wallpaper
7)gmenu is the best but stil gui wise it should b improved..enable transparency o something..win7 should b seen again..
8)upload feature should b enhanced..it din work on my pc..
9)nokia pc suite like application for cell phones so as retrieve the contacts o messages...add functionality to blutooth application
10)i m in love with d compiz n print to pdf feature i use them like anything but i still wil request u to improvise them
as much as possible..these are the things which make difference for new comers..
11)copying speed should b enhanced if possible..(its so fast at copying still also i m suggesting..)

hats off to u guys for creating such an awesome stuff..
the linux mint is the best os but if v can improve it then y to stop?
i din download mint8 rc1 bcoz of limited download plan so if u hav already implemented any of the above
jus forgive me...
waiting for the mint 8 final version to release...

regards
saurabh4dudes
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rightonbro on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:25 am

I ran a LiveCD (well, USB) of Mint 8. It looks great but it has a problem which I believe is related to Karmic. On my laptop (Dell Inspiron 700m), whenever I unplug or plug in the AC, the system runs what appears to be the "when the lid is closed" action. By default, that means whenever I unplug or plug in the power, the laptop goes into suspend.

I had this issue with the Karmic release as well. It did not occur in Jaunty and nor does it occur in Mint 7. According to similar bug reports on launchpad, it seems to be an issue with gnome-power-manager that is being worked on.

I would not upgrade to Helena until it's fixed, but I'm sure it will be fixed and I look forward to enjoying Mint 8 at some point, but for now I'm sticking with Gloria, which is fantastic already for my general needs. Thank you so much for your work, Mint team!
rightonbro
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Az4x4 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:46 pm

Brian49 wrote:That wasn't quite what I meant. This thread has put me off the idea of upgrading to Helena even when the final release is ready. It's the GRUB2 and other bootup changes that mainly worry me.

Unlike yourself Brian, I'm not ready to pull the plug on Helena based on this initial RC1 offering - not by a long shot. Looking at where this early RC1 goes wrong is invaluable to Clem and the Mint team as they square things away. That's why they released it in its current form, so problems can be sorted out and resolved before a final release is offered. I'm perfectly willing to park any temptation to panic and go running off into the night on the shelf where it belongs, and wait for RC2 and beyond to make more specific judgments about what may or may not be in the final release.

Given the track record Clem and his crew have established so far, my money is on them ironing every major wrinkle out of Helena prior to its final release. They will do so in such a way that the reputation of Mint as being the best of the best when it comes to Ubuntu derivatives will be greatly enhanced. "Ubuntu done right" will be forever emblazoned on the Mint label if Helena is up to previous Mint standards. If by some unfortunate turn of events I prove to be wrong, and you guys who find yourselves nay sayers at this early stage are correct, I'll admit as much at that time. However I seriously doubt that will be the case judging by what Mint has offered in final form to the present day - Gloria being the ultimate example of Clem's handiwork!

One thing I am in favor of, something that others have suggested as well, is that Clem and his team consider going to a yearly release schedule instead of following along with Ubuntu on its sometimes rough and tumble 6 month release schedule. Just a thought, and I'm sure the guys have considered it as well. Whatever they decide is fine as long as it gives them time to sort through the issues that come prepackaged every 6 months in Ubuntu releases.
Az4x4
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements