Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading take an overview of the new features and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO is downloaded verify the MD5. Burn the ISO at low speed and enjoy testing this [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1106
New features: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena_whatsnew.php
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_helena.php
Bug thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=35801

Clem.
kansasnoob

Re: Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 released!

Post by kansasnoob »

Looking very good here! Certainly nothing to complain about yet.

Well, actually I don't care for grub2 but that's another story.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

The default background is terrible.

Take the green part out of the bottom right corner and it would look nice.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

What is the latest recommendation as to the relative desirability of upgrading from Mint 7 to 8 vs a fresh install of the final release of 8, please?
DonPolo883

Post by DonPolo883 »

Hi Clem,
Congrats on the new release.
I am still on Gloria as you said that Felicia had the same old issues with ATI graphics cards, so I decided to stick with the OS that was working.
Does Helena have the same issues or is the situation improved regarding OpenGL ?
I would like to upgrade, or new install the latest version, but after all the work I have put into tailoring my PC environment I don't really want to risk losing it all and starting again.

What would you recommend?

Paul Richardson
Canary Isles
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

I'm just trying it out now on live CD.
In my opinion it's already way better than Ubuntu 9.10 in that the wireless works right out of the box,Ubuntu's didn't work at all.
Congrats to Clem and the devs.
laofzu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by laofzu »

I got it downloaded, installed and running fine. Just waiting for the 64 bit version now before I upgrade my main machine. You did a great job of fixing the bugs with Ubuntu 9.10 or avoiding them. I especially like the system profiler. I am sure a lot of work went in the mintmenu in previous versions and this one, but I still prefer the standard Gnome menu. It is much simpler to use getting me where I want to go quicker. It would be nice if possible to install the proprietary drivers during the initial install rather than afterwards. Would be more impressive to new users too. Overall, excellent job!
lexon

Post by lexon »

Hello All

I just downloaded Mint 8 RC1 and burned the ISO. No problems with that. I have a desktop with 3.2g CPU and 2 GB ram. Only added a Firewire PCI card and a Wireless PCI card a couple years ago. Low end machine you might say. Everything else on the mobo. It runs Mint 8 RC1 Live CD just fine.

Took a 80 GB drive with Ubuntu 9.10 on it and installed Mint 8. Mint automatically suggested dividing the drive in two with a 3.1 GB Swap section. Very nice. Did all the updates also. All I had to do was select a better Theme, mouse single click and 1024 X 768 resolution.
Put a commercial DVD in and Movie Player started right up. Audio just fine.
Really becoming more user friendly.

I have not been an advocate of dual boot during the six years of using Linux. I will probably keep this option intact, though I will never advocate dual boot with Windows. Don't ask.

My USB HP all in one printer recognized and an old HP 400 parallel port printer is recognized. I was given a bunch of black ink cartridges so the printer is for Grey scale printing only.
The Firewire external drive is recognized as are all my other USB devices.

Wireless and etho connections are just fine.

Next is to try Live CD on my wireless laptop.

I suppose I could find something to nit pick about but it would probably be difficult and no point to it anyway.

Clem and gang have done a fine job again.

lex
lexon

Post by lexon »

I just tried the Mint 8 RC1 Live CD in my Walmart special Acer Aspire wireless laptop. Did all the updates and everything looks ok except could not run a DVD movie but that should not be an issue as Mint 7 in the 'Top does DVD movies ok.

lex
borgio3

Post by borgio3 »

Hi everybody,
just installed about 10 minutes ago, and i've only one word:

FANTASTIC!!!

After the troubles that has suffered Ubuntu 9.10 after his release, i had some doubts about the next Mint release, but now i'm proud to use Helena.
All my hardware was properly recognized and configured, HUAWEI key run correctly, software is fantastic, audio perfect, all right.

Thanks Clement, really thanks :-)
historyb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by historyb »

I just tried Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 and it bootup all the way to the login screen. Then I could not login, it keep asking me for a user name. I tried Mint, guest and nothing worked.
lexon

Post by lexon »

historyb wrote:I just tried Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 and it bootup all the way to the login screen. Then I could not login, it keep asking me for a user name. I tried Mint, guest and nothing worked.
I am not trying to be smart. Did you write down the user name and password when installing Mint 8 and use those?

lex
historyb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by historyb »

lexon wrote:
historyb wrote:I just tried Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 and it bootup all the way to the login screen. Then I could not login, it keep asking me for a user name. I tried Mint, guest and nothing worked.
I am not trying to be smart. Did you write down the user name and password when installing Mint 8 and use those?

lex
This is the LiveCD not an install :)
rsadix

Post by rsadix »

historyb,

did you try just waiting. the login screen is there, but I don't think it really is looking for your input.

patience grasshopper.
historyb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by historyb »

rsadix wrote:historyb,

did you try just waiting. the login screen is there, but I don't think it really is looking for your input.

patience grasshopper.
Yes, it will not go further than the login screen. It is waiting for an input
lexon

Post by lexon »

historyb wrote:
lexon wrote:

lex
This is the LiveCD not an install :)
I vaguely remember that happening to me only once. I ignored the login page. I think I just hit enter. You cannot damage the present OS you are using as you have not tried to do an install yet.

lex
historyb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by historyb »

lexon wrote: I vaguely remember that happening to me only once. I ignored the login page. I think I just hit enter.
I hit enter went right back to login, tried in virtual box worked fine there
lexon wrote:You cannot damage the present OS you are using as you have not tried to do an install yet.

lex
Oh I know that.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Love it so far. Have not had any issues. Only have same issue I had with Ubuntu 9.10 with Audio popping after no audio used for a few minutes. As if audio being turned back on. Other than that runs good.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

You should only have to hit enter at the LiveCD's login screen...
kitanis

Post by kitanis »

Only found one small issue with M-PLayer but thats it... otherwise Linux Mint 8 is impressive.. it automatically selected my sound card and everything else.. where normally i have to manually install drivers.. OUTSTANDING!

I keep trying to break things.. have not found anything yet.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”