Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
teseglet

Re: Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 released!

Post by teseglet »

Waiting for Helena Final so I do not have to do fresh install... but am getting anxiously excited.

I wonder which distro will be the first to use Chrome and eject Firefox?

Chrome is my only browser and blows away all competitors on my old system... and it has extensions...
http://www.chromeextensions.org/
wobf58
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wobf58 »

I see some people complaining about the wallpaper. I don't understand why. If you don't like then switch to something you like. Is as simple as that. Clem, you can't do it right for everybody. Therefor there are lots of ways available to change to any other wallpaper. It's much more important that the performance is good. I think you did a great job with the wallpaper in the RC1. Keep up the great work.
Laptop: DELL E6500 with LED backlight
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
RAM: 4096MB (2048x2) DDR2 800
NVIDIA Quatro NVS160M 256 MB / 320 GB HDD/
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

^^^ +1
kayovas

Post by kayovas »

I'm very excited about Mint 8. Linux Mint is the perfect Linux destitution for me. BUT...

I have a huge problem with GRUB 2 (actualy 1.9x BETA). On my laptop Toshiba Satellite Pro A300, i have dual boot Windows and Linux Mint 8 RC1. Before that I tried Ubuntu 9.10. In both cases it was a problem with booting Linux OS.

I wont to use Mint, not to be beta tester of GRUB 2. It's not ready. :(

Sorry for my words, but I'm very disappointed. Sorry for my English.
DruKe

Post by DruKe »

teseglet wrote: and it has extensions...
http://www.chromeextensions.org/
Many thanks!
mariusradoi1

Post by mariusradoi1 »

I am not really new in linux, but I have a few problems in Mint 8 RC.1>
1. web cam doesn't work,
2. when I minimiezed any windows, it dissapier (even from panel bar)
3. also, card reader doesn't work.
Laptop MSI M.673X
But, this version is really stable, and I don't want to renounce to "Helena"
juankvillegas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by juankvillegas »

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forums, I hope the first of a lot...

I have been using GNU/Linux for 5 years and a Ubuntu user from 7.04... In this moment I'm using Linux Mint Helena RC1 LiveCD, and I have just one thing to say: "THIS IS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING"... CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Now, I have a doubt, but I don't want to start a new topic: I want to install Helena, right now. I've never installed a RC before, so I don't know if once the final release is launched, I'll need to install it again?, or I'll be able to upgrade from that?

Thanks in advance.

Good bye.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

If you install LinuxMint-8 RC1 ... and keep up with the updates ...
you won't even notice the upgrade to the Final Release of Helena.
You really won't need to 'upgrade' to Helena-8 Final, as, it has been done with the updates.

Otherwise, the Mint Team will post instructions on how to upgrade from Mint-7 and from the RC1

Is this a great distro ... or what? :mrgreen:

Welcome to LinuxMint!! Enjoy!!
zeip
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeip »

Hallo!

Thanx a lot for HELENA!
After one week i can't believe that this is not the final!?
Everything works great+fast here, no problems.
(The SIMPLY SCAN IMAGES did only PNG..but it doesn't matter)

Greetings from Germany!
rivers79

Post by rivers79 »

Hello clem and group,

I tried Mint 8 RC1 and all I can say is WOW! Very nice. Picked up everything I had in my computer and installed it.

I am looking forward to the final release copy to do a fresh install.

Cheers.
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

vassilianna wrote:also installed mint 8 in a desktop with windows xp,but suddenly it shuts down and doesn't start...what to do? please help
Hello Vassilianna,
Welcome to Linux Mint. :)
I too have installed Mint 8 RC1 in a dual-boot scheme, with Windows XP. Fortunately, I have not had any problems.with it.
However, anything can happen in an RC edition, and a dual-boot system is always tricky.
Sometimes, the boot loader or the Grub is lost in such situations, especially with the new Grub that is used in Mint 8 and also Ubuntu 9.10.
I have found a solution by using a grub recovery program. It is called the Super Grub Disk. Unfortunately, the new grub system can't be recognized.
Anyway, here's where you can download this gadget:
http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... -8071.html

Have fun,
Cheers,
npap
Trev0r269

Post by Trev0r269 »

Sick OS. Snappy responsive.

It recognizes me fairly old scanner and printers without any hassle, and although installing codecs isn't a huge deal it's nice to have 1 less thing to do. All I really had to do was run a system update and get the newest release of drivers for my vid card so I could fiddle with the refresh rate on my old-ass sony trinitron CRT.

Everything else that I need is included, except for a couple apps...literally like 2-3.

The only thing that I need windows for anymore are the games that use hackshield.
barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by barrieluv »

Mint 8 RC1 working perfectly on the Asus Eee PC 900 (Celeron). Another great release! Thank you. :D
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition
ColJep

Post by ColJep »

I have just downloaded Helena RC1 and tried to install it on my computer running Gloria.

I have 2 SATA drives one 80GB that I boot from and one 110GB as /home.

Partition editor in Gloria sees both drives correctly but when I try to install Helena only the /home drive is seen. I am told I have no operating system installed.

The 80 GB drive has one boot 15GB partition for Gloria and I was hoping to use the remaining free space to partition and try other distros. I had no problems installing Gloria.

Is this a bug or has something major changed to stop me continuing with my plan?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please post in an appropriate place - if you have a bug to report there is a bug topic and if you need support use the support part of the forum
ColJep

Post by ColJep »

Sorry I rather thought that was the best thing to do but this thread seemed to have similar items to mine.

I will now post correctly.
Arron

Post by Arron »

On the main page there is how to upgrade to Mint 8 stable, does this mean the stable is out?

Love Mint, its the best!
themew

Post by themew »

Arron wrote:On the main page there is how to upgrade to Mint 8 stable, does this mean the stable is out?

Love Mint, its the best!
Yes. Upgraded from 7 to 8 using the GUI instructions yesterday... Solid operating system.
empusa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by empusa »

Just installed RC1 on a Dell Inspiron 1300.

The only issue that I have found so far is I am unable to set up any printers. There appears to be a problem with CUPS.

The issue didn't occur with Mint 7 on the same laptop.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

empusa wrote:Just installed RC1 on a Dell Inspiron 1300.

The only issue that I have found so far is I am unable to set up any printers. There appears to be a problem with CUPS.

The issue didn't occur with Mint 7 on the same laptop.
What brand printer do you have?

Return to “Releases & Announcements”