Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 8 Helena RC1 released!

Postby Bruce R on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:26 pm

@ StanTheMan - I found that purging GRUB2 and then installing GRUB so as to simply gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst is working very well for me.
For further information, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reverting%20to%20GRUB%20Legacy
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby subslug on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Any ideas how smooth of an upgrade we can expect going from Mint 7 to Mint 8 when the time comes?

Normally I'm good with a fresh install but, Mint 7 has really been a Good. I'd rather not break this setup if upgrading is going to be tortuous like in the past.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby ralph on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:20 pm

historyb

All you have to do is press enter to keep going
ralph
Level 1
Level 1

Postby j_baer on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:21 pm

I installed Mint 8 RC1 and everything worked as expected. I also installed the Night Impression GTK theme from "community-themes" in the repositories and it installed without issue.

To see how it looks go here: http://www.projblog.com

Cheers!
j_baer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby historyb on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:35 pm

ralph wrote:historyb

All you have to do is press enter to keep going

Tried that many times, no go.
historyb
Level 2
Level 2

Postby on4aa on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:44 am

I read Linux Mint is going to have new artwork.

There just happen to be a small detail that annoys me terribly when seeing the writing of "Linux Mint", especially when it is projected on a large screen.

Why is the letter "n" from the word "Mint" in "Linux Mint" different from the letter "n" in "Linux" and "m" in "Mint", in the sense that is the first vertical leg of the letter "n" extends beyond the arc of the letter "n" in the word "Mint"?

IMHO, it does not seem to be in complete agreement with the concept of elegance.
This is maybe a small change that can be implemented into the logo and artwork for this release?
on4aa
Level 2
Level 2

Postby GerMulvey on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:09 am

So far I'm finding the RC very good. The menu issue regarding the shuffle between items still shows but is no biggie.
Overall very nice. Not too sure of the artwork. Not sure the green corner looks right for me anyway. Easy to change though.
Also theme wise has anyone seen the opensuse gnome theme sonar? This would look nice in Mint as an option or default.
I'm running it as mine so I'm slightly biased :)
Stability for me is head and shoulders above Ubuntu. Mint just keeps getting better.
Excellent work all.
Looking forward to release - 64 bit for me too.
If it ain't broke - fix it anyway!
GerMulvey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bit Mad on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:18 am

GerMulvey wrote:Not sure the green corner looks right for me anyway.

I don't like the green corner as it is either - it would be better if it was a spotlight effect like the one at the top - possibly in green light rather than the white light at the top.

I just don't think you can beat Dew for freshness and eye appeal - it just screams "Linux Mint - What a refreshing change".
I even use the original logo-less version on Windows Vista :D
Bit Mad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby deep64blue on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:25 am

markcynt wrote:The default background is terrible.

Take the green part out of the bottom right corner and it would look nice.
I love the new wallpaper, green is the mint colour but the new background looks great!
deep64blue
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nsu0babu on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:30 am

Please tell me how can I create a portable operating system "Linux Mint" into a pendrive?
nsu0babu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Brian49 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:05 pm

nsu0babu wrote:Please tell me how can I create a portable operating system "Linux Mint" into a pendrive?

If you are starting from within Windows, you can go here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/

I can confirm that Linux Mint 7 works very well on a pendrive. No doubt they will update their advice for Linux Mint 8 once the final version has been released.
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Postby impeteperry on Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:41 pm

I just installed Mint 8 on my IBM Thinkpad. (Lenovo Z61m)
I bought the "Think Pad" for the "Track point" as I get so frustrated with a "Touch Pad"
I turned off the "Touch Pad" in the "Mouse Preferences" but it did not do It.

Except for this and not being able to put names in the "switcher" boxes, Mint 8 seems ready for my use.

Thaks for any help
impeteperry

Postby subslug on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:45 am

Lots of concern about wallpaper, the most insignificant part of any new OS.

How about something about how well the upgrade from Mint 7 to Mint 8 is going to work....?
Changing wallpaper is a 2 second process, I'm more concerned about how upgradeable Mint 8 is going to be.

Anyone?
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Postby hotweiss on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:03 am

Oh no, is this using Grub 2? Grub 2 didn't work for me when I tried installing Ubuntu 9.10. Can you add an option to use Grub 0.97?
hotweiss
Level 4
Level 4

Postby markcynt on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:40 am

subslug wrote:Lots of concern about wallpaper, the most insignificant part of any new OS.

How about something about how well the upgrade from Mint 7 to Mint 8 is going to work....?
Changing wallpaper is a 2 second process, I'm more concerned about how upgradeable Mint 8 is going to be.

Anyone?

I'm not really concerned about wallpaper but first impressions are important, especially since Mint is aimed at new users.

IMO the default backround is not professional looking.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Bit Mad on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:56 am

People might think that they can usually tell a lot from a default wallpaper. Unlike judging a book by its cover, or a person by their face... it's more like judging a person by their taste in clothes, and presentation. If they don't care what they look like, that tells you that they just don't care.

If a default wallpaper looks crummy, it hints at a possible lack of care throughout the distro.

First impressions do count. There are a LOT of distros out there, and one the first things people do is to look around at the screenshots to see what they'd have to live with if they were to install and use the distro. A poor set of screenshots can be enough to make them move on.

Image is everything, as usual. Now, I guess some of you would say that it doesn't matter if someone that "shallow" doesn't "join us", but surely the more the merrier? Don't we all want to feel part of a big success? A distro lives and dies by the number of users.

8)
Bit Mad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby gibbs1984 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:55 am

Bit Mad wrote:People might think that they can usually tell a lot from a default wallpaper. Unlike judging a book by its cover, or a person by their face... it's more like judging a person by their taste in clothes, and presentation. If they don't care what they look like, that tells you that they just don't care.

If a default wallpaper looks crummy, it hints at a possible lack of care throughout the distro.

First impressions do count. There are a LOT of distros out there, and one the first things people do is to look around at the screenshots to see what they'd have to live with if they were to install and use the distro. A poor set of screenshots can be enough to make them move on.

Image is everything, as usual. Now, I guess some of you would say that it doesn't matter if someone that "shallow" doesn't "join us", but surely the more the merrier? Don't we all want to feel part of a big success? A distro lives and dies by the number of users.

8)

I have to agree totally with this, I don't distro hop but I do look around at other distros to see what they look like (just because I'm nosey) and the amount of times I see distros that look horrible and then think I wouldn't even consider installing that, even though under the hood it might be brilliant.

Image is everything, even though it can be changed really simply.
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby monkeyboy on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:57 am

Yes but,,, If a new user finds that wallpaper is a deal breaker then they will never make it through their first few months, weeks or days of Mint use or any other Linux distro for that matter. You know, when the inevitable firmware or hardware Gremlin presents itself. If often takes a lot more knowledge, determination and desire to fix those bug then it does then to switch the pretty art around. IMHO
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Bit Mad on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:24 am

With all due respect I disagree and I believe that you've missed the point a little :)
Your line of thinking is very much secondary to the problem I described, IMHO. The determination to deal with problems comes after choosing a distro that they like visually. There is no definite correlation between how 'shallow' their choice of distro is, and how keen they will be to deal with issues arising from that point onwards.

Cheers 8)
Bit Mad
Level 3
Level 3

Postby subslug on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:27 am

I guess it all just depends on what you do with your computer that makes the difference.
I hardly, if ever see my desktop, I could have Windows Vista wallpaper on it for all I care. :lol:

I usually have many apps open at one time blocking view of the desktop, I'm more of the type that needs the Apps and the System to function more so than the wallpaper to look pretty.
I want things like Virtualbox and Flash to work properly. I don't want something sucking down system resources more than it should.
I prefer file sharing to work seamlessly across my network and printers to set up as they should. I don't want all sorts of permission issues because I prefer to run as user.

I would also love to know how much of a princess it's going to be to upgrade my 64bit Mint 7 to 64bit Mint 8, it hasn't been real smooth in the past.

These things are more important to me. Luckily for Clem and the gang, wallpaper is an easy fix.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Releases & Announcements