KDE Edition is dead... long live KDE Community Edition!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
varaonaid
Level 2
Level 2

Post by varaonaid »

I guess I'm kind of lost. Is there some reason that adding KDE packages to Mint 3.0 won't work? At least until we see if the KDE community edition takes off?

Congrats to Boo! I'm sure you'll do a great job.

I was thinking of leaving Mint as well with the new decision to not "officially" support development of KDE editions but at this point, I think I'll try to add the packages to the Gnome version and see where the KDE community version goes. I think Clem made a good decision all things considered because KDE never was his original vision for the project so it was always going to play "second fiddle" to the main version. Now, it's become a primary project that Boo's taking charge of so (I'm hoping :) ) it will get much more attention.

I know that all the developers work in their spare time to create this software for the community and one thing we fail to do is to thank them enough. So, to the team and those community developers, a very grateful thank you for all your work.
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

Good look Boo

The power is with you
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I started with the kde version since most of my preferred apps are kde-based; however, bianca was missing a lot of wonderful from the cassandra edition and I felt that I was being left out. So I installed cassandra and was blown away. For the first time I got my ati drivers installed without hassle. I got all of my favorite apps installed. I even like gnome for the first time. As for my kde apps, I am finding that I prefer non-kde apps (gnormalize, exaile, ooo). The one eception being k9copy: there just isn't anything like it. I did think about xdvdshrink, but it needed more dependencies (or so it seemed). Anyway, yes, you can install kde apps on a gnome desktop, but you may experience a little sluggishness compared to being run on kde.

john
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I've just released mintassistant 1.0 and mintdisk 1.9... in the same time Boo and I have been talking and he's been working hard on the KDE Edition. If KDE wasn't a community edition nobody would have worked on it while I was developing mintassistant.

I'm now starting to work on mintServe and mintShare and I'm happy to know that the KDE Edition is being worked at in the meantime. If I had to do both I would have to choose between Celena and KDE right now, instead of having both projects moving at the same time.

So whether you're a Gnome or KDE fan you should understand this is definitely good news.

Clem
the-z-man

Post by the-z-man »

mintServe ? more info
mintShare ? more info

i will love to haer more
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Who cares what Linus thinks? As far as I'm concerned that was an irresponsible comment from someone in his position. GNU/Linux has enough obstacles to overcome without Linus throwing gas on the desktop fire.

Clem, no need to justify your decision, you don't owe us a damn thing. We know you have the best interest of Mint in mind and we're behind you all the way.
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Christof999 »

NoClue! wrote:Who cares what Linus thinks? As far as I'm concerned that was an irresponsible comment from someone in his position. GNU/Linux has enough obstacles to overcome without Linus throwing gas on the desktop fire.

Clem, no need to justify your decision, you don't owe us a damn thing. We know you have the best interest of Mint in mind and we're behind you all the way.
I thought Linus was dead on. I think he's trying to unite the community not divide it. Ive tried to like Gnome. Ive tried so hard. I like the name, I love their philosophy. However I just can't use it. Its too simplistic. I can never get anything done on it. Gnome, as much as I love the idea, is just inferior when it comes to computing. You can simply do less on Gnome.

It does have a place, but its much more akin to Mac OSX. Gnome is great if you do simplistic stuff, but once you start doing alot of complex work or try to customize, it starts to get restrictive to the advanced user.

Anyways I installed Cassandra, after two days of Gnome, I installed KDE. Too bad I can't post pictures, it looks sweet and its the best run KDE Ive had. KDE + MInt is awesome. When KDE 4 comes out, it will just blow anything away.

C.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”