Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics.

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Postby wanger123 on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks for the distro guys.

I have a long history with Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but after trying out this edition of LinuxMint I think I'll be staying here for a while.

I have installed this on a Dell 10v which is normally pretty sluggish, but it is now as fast as I need it to be.

I tested both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 9.10 netbook editions first, but neither one performed as well as Mint.

thanks again

Wanger
wanger123
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Aevum on Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:40 pm

I second and agree with what Wanger said. I've always been using Ubuntu, first 9.04 then updated to 9.10 in October. After my computer got actually crashed on the ground by a funny lunatic I decided to buy myself a Netbook, Packard Bell Dot m and installing Mint, for the first time, I really enjoy using it way more than I used to do with Ubuntu so yeah, I really do thank all the developers of Mint (In particulare the 8 Helena version which is the one I'm using right now) for their amazing work, and as much as I can I'll be supporting this community in order to keep it as it is, if not to improve it!

Cheers.
Aevum
Level 4
Level 4

Postby garywbrooks on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:29 pm

I've waited a while before going over to Linux. Too long! But now I've installed Linux Mint 8 on a Pentium4 Dell I've got to say its fantastic! It all worked first time. After using it for a week, I showed it to my brother-in-law and father-in-law and they have both converted their old PCs.

Keep up the good work!

Gary, Sheffield, UK. :D
garywbrooks
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xfarisx on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:20 am

I want to help in translation to Arabic or English. So any body needs help?
xfarisx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Chloe on Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:45 pm

I just installed Helena, and I am THRILLED! I could never get my HP printer to work with Gloria no matter what I tried, but after I installed Mint 8 and the first round of updates, I turned my printer on, and it was automatically detected -- and it prints perfectly! I actually squealed when the printer icon popped up on the panel! :lol: Not being able to print from Gloria was the only reason I ever used my Windows XP partition, and it was SO annoying having to boot into XP every time I had to print my homework. I'm not a programmer or computer expert by any means, so for something like this to work so smoothly right from the get-go, with absolutely no hassle, is a HUGE deal to me. I really liked Linux Mint before -- now I'm totally in love! :mrgreen:

I'm going to install Helena on my new netbook next, and see if I can figure out how to use netbook-launcher with it.

Keep up the great work! :D
Chloe
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mr. Alex on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:48 am

When will Mint 9 be released?
Mr. Alex
Level 3
Level 3

Postby markfiend on Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:33 am

Mr. Alex wrote:When will Mint 9 be released?

After the next Ubuntu release, each Mint version follows after an Ubuntu version.

Mint 8 Helena was based on Ubuntu Karmic Koala
Mint 7 Gloria was based on Jaunty Jackalope
and so on.
Lucid Lynx is due at the end of next month, Mint 9 will probably follow about a month later.
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Postby sigbjornl on Mon May 17, 2010 9:28 am

jrronimo wrote:Does Helena offer any way to install besides a CD? And besides getting the CD onto a flash drive, heh.

I have a pair of older laptops who do not have working optical media drives and cannot boot to flash drives. I *might* be able to read a CD for a little bit of time -- so, if there's a mini installer that can download the rest -- and I definitely can do a PXE install, but last I looked Mint 7 did not have a way to do a PXE install.

Any hope for this noob, or am I stuck in Ubuntu?

Hi,

If you need a way to PXE boot Linux Mint, take a look at http://sf.net/projects/oneclickkick.

A short summary:
A web based GUI for managing clients for PXE boot clients with support of Kickstart scripts. Client install in one click. This is a generic framework created to work with any PXE bootable image.

This now includes Linux Mint for LIVE boot via NFS. :) I'm working on making an kickstart/preseed installation of Linux Mint as well.
sigbjornl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Releases & Announcements