Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
c++101

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Post by c++101 »

Helena's great...it works well.
I'm running mint on a virtual machine, and I'm glad Helena works great on it.
When I installed 7, it was a bit screwy.
8 is working fine though! :)
jrronimo

Post by jrronimo »

Does Helena offer any way to install besides a CD? And besides getting the CD onto a flash drive, heh.

I have a pair of older laptops who do not have working optical media drives and cannot boot to flash drives. I *might* be able to read a CD for a little bit of time -- so, if there's a mini installer that can download the rest -- and I definitely can do a PXE install, but last I looked Mint 7 did not have a way to do a PXE install.

Any hope for this noob, or am I stuck in Ubuntu?
tacoz

Post by tacoz »

Another great release! Nice. Thanks for your team's efforts Clem!
I particularly do not like the FRESH logo but replacing it with the boot LINUXMINT wallpaper suits my tastes just fine... so other than that minor detail, the install was definitely faster... Helena and I are gonna be friends for the next season!
redneck

Post by redneck »

Just downloaded and installed "Helena". Running a treat and looking good. Congrats to all the team, another job well done. 8) :D
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Hi and Thanks for the new release!

I can't wait for 64 bit to be released as I would like to use the full potential of my puter!

Looking forward to 64!

Take Care

EDIT: I really don't think people should be doing an upgrade. I had numerous problems with that myself.
If you do a clean install, I think you will be better off for the majority. just my thoughts.

After I did a clean install, everything is running great! however, I do not use wifi anymore as I find it to be
crap and always had problems with it on Linux AND windows. So I switched to a solid connection and do
not regret it. If you have to move around a lot, you may want to upgrade your wifi card (even in your laptop).
In many laptops, the wifi IS a card that CAN be upgraded.

Peace! 8)
Last edited by DavidS on Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

tacoz wrote:Another great release! Nice. Thanks for your team's efforts Clem!
I particularly do not like the FRESH logo but replacing it with the boot LINUXMINT wallpaper suits my tastes just fine... so other than that minor detail, the install was definitely faster... Helena and I are gonna be friends for the next season!

I installed Mint 8 last night and I am loving the fact that, unlike karmic koala, all the codecs and everything are automatically installed. That is such a pain with karmic because many times when I would download one plugin or codec, others I needed would be removed and here I'd go again. Lol. Anyway, can you tell me how your changed the login screen? I don't like that logo either but I can't figure out how to do it. Thanks so much.

Robin
jackshit

Post by jackshit »

confused? guys, can't believe it, what is wrong with Helena? more bugs that i can count, and can't fix coz NO INTERNET! my wireless card was fine for everything up to Gloria: just upgraded last night (losing a LOT of software) and i'm stuck with aload of installed nonsense, can't even update the NVIDIA drivers, this is a shock, MINT has up to now been the best OS i have used, what's up?
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

jackshit wrote:confused? guys, can't believe it, what is wrong with Helena? more bugs that i can count, and can't fix coz NO INTERNET! my wireless card was fine for everything up to Gloria: just upgraded last night (losing a LOT of software) and i'm stuck with aload of installed nonsense, can't even update the NVIDIA drivers, this is a shock, MINT has up to now been the best OS i have used, what's up?

Wow, my installation went very smoothly and have had no issues at all. I hope you can get it worked out. It is the best distro I have ever used. :wink:
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ jackshit
Your user name is inappropriate
And yes there is a lot of problems with Helena inherited from Ubuntu
We did not get rid of as many bugs as we would wish - that's sad but true
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

@jackshit

Fortunately the Mint team is usually excellent at straightening out bugs, missing pieces and issues before Ubuntu gets around to it. So chances are, your issues and more will be taken care of here before Ubuntu will. In my experience that's pretty much been the case.
Husse

Post by Husse »

I should perhaps not write this but I know there will be a Mint 8.1 and perhaps with more than a fix for mint4win There are tons of updates that makes life easier
reaZon

Post by reaZon »

installed Helena here and after fixing an issue with GRUB ,every single thing is working better than ever.pretty much good work is done on this one.
CHEERS 8) .
strikefreedom

Post by strikefreedom »

I have to say that this is the best distro I have ever used. For the couple of years or so I have been looking for a distro that suits me. I have used Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian, Sabayon, Fedora, Dreamlinux, Gentoo,... and Linux Mint just blows them all away.
I have jumped from Mint to another distro a few times to see whats new, but it never was as comfortable as Mint. With Helena, I am never going to change back to another distro. I am a Mint user untill I die. Keep up the good work guys. On another note my laptop never booted as fast as it's doing now. Thank you guys.
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nalsdixit »

all i can say is working fine on my computer (acer netbook), has a few small issues i need to tweak, but wireless/internet worked out of the box, and overall web browsing feels a bit snappier than gloria

-------------------------

[/b][/b]
jackshit wrote:confused? guys, can't believe it, what is wrong with Helena? more bugs that i can count, and can't fix coz NO INTERNET! my wireless card was fine for everything up to Gloria: just upgraded last night (losing a LOT of software) and i'm stuck with aload of installed nonsense, can't even update the NVIDIA drivers, this is a shock, MINT has up to now been the best OS i have used, what's up?
Eesaurus

Post by Eesaurus »

Great work again! Everything works really well, nothing bad to say about Helena. I'll recommend Mint to everyone who's moving to Linux-World. As i've done before also... All releases of Mint i have tested have been just great.

Hats off!
fl_rider
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fl_rider »

Thank you for all of the teams hard work.

Today is my first day trying Linux Mint and I am quite impressed so far.

Mint just works like it is supposed to. Ubuntu was cool but there were quite a few hoops to jump through for multimedia playback.

I will definitely be trying Mint on my laptop and if it works as well with that hardware I see Mint in the future for it too.

Thanks again!!

Chris B
BastianBalthasarBux

Post by BastianBalthasarBux »

Does anyone know when we could probably count with helena_64?
kumaryu

Post by kumaryu »

I just wanted to mention how impressed I was with the Helena release. Very slick.
I installed it on the new Acer Revo R3610 as summarised on my blog http://www.kumaryu.com.
sdim
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sdim »

Many thanks to Clem and the team.
Fantastic release,guys!Quality as always!
MB:MSI 770 C-45 / HD1:500 GB-->Windows / HD2:320 GB-->Mint 20 Cinnamon
CPU:AMD X4 640 3.00 GHz / RAM:4.0 GB / VGA: NVidia GeForce GT630
opaArt

Post by opaArt »

Thanks to the team.
I installed it with high expectations. But I have to switch over to onboard sound, because my Xonar soundcard, who worked perfect with Mint 7, is not recognized. Also Amarok (my favorite radio) does not list Shoutcast, although it says so in the Package Manager.
Sorry team but I have to go back to Mint 7.
I am very disappointed.

opaArt.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”