Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Linux Mint 8 "Helena" released!

Post by red-e-made »

stoneguy wrote:@red-e-made - You're probably going to have to live with boot-up battery warning. That's an known upstream problem from Karmic. Shows up on both my ASUS netbooks.
Ah. Alright then.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

By the by, I wanted to add that I love the "Ignored packages" feature of MintUpdate. That comes as a real blessing to me, and is much appreciated.
Fluxx

Post by Fluxx »

I installed Mint 8, and as far as I can tell, it's working just fine. Even Karma can be cleared up, it seems. :wink:

Clem and team: You Guys Rock!!!
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Just installed, clicked install and went for a shower and it was finished before I got back, top stuff :D

Everything is working brilliantly, even Compiz now works with my rubbish on board graphics card \o/

Another great release :D
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
rlindsey0

Post by rlindsey0 »

Just installed Helena today, and so far no problems. Wireless was recognized right away with no difficulties, and oddly, Compiz seems to be working better for me than it did before. I used to have a little flickering problem when Compiz was enabled, but not any more. The only little glitch was that Helena seemingly didn't want to recognize my outboard USB drive right away, but that was easily fixed with an edit of fstab.

I was going to try the upgrade, but then I figured I'd take the opportunity to change to ext4, which meant doing a clean install. Don't know if I see a big difference with that, but as usual, things ... just ... work.

Congratulations once again to Clem and the team!
BladeWS

Post by BladeWS »

saiftheboss7 wrote:I am very much disappointe because there is no wubi/mint4win there!
Its ridiculous!
:oops:
Nonsense.

Many thanks to the team, the translators and the artist for this fine release! :D
Husse

Post by Husse »

It is at the moment not possible to use mint4win because of problems with grub2
We are working on that and I think one more thing and may release a new version if we get mint4win to work
It would have delayed Helena too much to wait for the mint4win problem
Mint and Ubuntu are not the same so even if wubi works this does not mean that mint4win works :)
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

I found a very easy fix to the "You battery might be broken" pop-up.

Open Terminal and type

Code: Select all

gconf-editor
Then go to gnome-power-manager>notify>and uncheck the boxes labelled "low_capacity" and "perhaps_recall". These warnings are just for broken batteries. You will still get notifications when your battery is low, if you want them.
reahjw6

Post by reahjw6 »

Mint delivers again with Helena.
Mint really is a breath of fresh air.
Have been using mint for about 8 months now and very impressed.
Thanks to all the team for there hard work.
Reahjw6. :lol:
linuxcritic

Post by linuxcritic »

Congratulations on another stellar release. We just finished our Linux Mint 8 review and wanted to share.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thank you linuxcritic
Seventh Reign

Post by Seventh Reign »

Have Helena running in Virtualbox to play around with till the 64 bit version is released. Obviously I cant really rate it while using VBox, but so far so good. If I had one gripe it would be about the MintMenu. Dont get me wrong I LOVE the MintMenu setup. It is by far the best available menu system. Its just so plain and ugly looking. The rest of the system is so polished and beautiful .. and then you have this grayish/tan square with some icons and text. It would be nice to see something similar to the current OpenSUSE's (Gnome) Menu. Just not the way it accesses your other Applications. Whoever came up with opening a separate window for that, needs their head examined
reaZon

Post by reaZon »

Congratulations to clem ,team ,and all of mint users.
this made my day :D .i'll download it tonight.
better i won't bother with an upgrade,fresh install will be the way.
vassilianna

Post by vassilianna »

Husse wrote:Please post in the support section if you need help with problems
We cannot have support in this topic
where's the support topic for mint 8?
Husse

Post by Husse »

where's the support topic for mint 8?
Nowhere :)
But there are lots of sub forums for all sorts of things including Newbie Questions
Don't forget to mention that you use Helena and please read this before you post
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

I am running karmic koala right now and would like to understand the difference b/w karmic and LM 8?? I am interested in LM8 and don't understand how the 2 distros are different. Thanks.

Robin
Husse

Post by Husse »

How Mint and Ubuntu differs is a long story today
The looks
Mint has all codecs installed from the start
Mint tools
Some under the hood changes
Kubuntu and the Gloria KDE version are considerably different and this will probably be the case for Helena too
mint4win and wubi are quite different
A different forum
and more
I probably miss a lot :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

We seem to have messed up the OEM install option
A Mint 8.1 is planned when mint4win works and this will be fixed as well
Someone asked about info for the OEM install, this will also be fixed - it exists but not as a neat pdf or so
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

Great. A working OEM install option will help to spread Mint.
I talked to some owners of small local computer stores last week and all of them were very interested in installing Mint as a userfriendly alternative to Win. An OEM installation is all they need (well, some kind of support too, but that's something i'm able to provide locally ;) ).
djross95
Level 1
Level 1

Post by djross95 »

Nice work, Clem and team! I'm downloading Helena as we speak, and look forward to trying it out. I'm sampled other distros of late, but keep coming back to Mint! DR

Return to “Releases & Announcements”